Old 08-08-2003, 07:04 PM
Mkwilso

Default Pumpkin Volunteers

Last year I carved pumpkins on a picnic table in my mother's back yard. The
seeds and pumpkin entrails fell on the rocks beneath the table. (Under the
table is a plastic liner or tarp covered with smooth large rocks and contained
with wooden edging). Up to that point I had been unsuccessful at getting
pumpkins to grow from seeds. This spring pumpkins grew, and the vines are
setting on several pumpkins (at this point green). I enjoy carving pumpkins,
and would like to duplicate this happy accident at my own house (on a larger
scale). I have never been able to grow things from seed. Please advise on
what I can do to the current plants to help them put on the most pumpkins
possible, and what are the important things to duplicate. I understand the
rocks will keep competing weeds out, but what else do I need to do to maximize
my chances for pumpkins next year. Thanks.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:02 AM
GrampysGurl

We had a couple volunteers last year we watered from time to time and ended up
with a good 12 pumpkins about a foot in diameter.... We haven't had quite the
same luck this year, I have had vines grow but as soon as a bloom opens the
squirrels eat them.... I happen to feed pumpkin seeds to the squirrels and
that's where they come from here. Not really an answer for you but they seemed
to not mind being just left alone to do their thing here and we were in drought
conditions last year.

Colleen
zone 5 CT
Old 09-08-2003, 02:42 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Mkwilso wrote:

Last year I carved pumpkins on a picnic table in my mother's back yard. The
seeds and pumpkin entrails fell on the rocks beneath the table. (Under the
table is a plastic liner or tarp covered with smooth large rocks and contained
with wooden edging). Up to that point I had been unsuccessful at getting
pumpkins to grow from seeds. This spring pumpkins grew, and the vines are
setting on several pumpkins (at this point green). I enjoy carving pumpkins,
and would like to duplicate this happy accident at my own house (on a larger
scale). I have never been able to grow things from seed. Please advise on
what I can do to the current plants to help them put on the most pumpkins
possible, and what are the important things to duplicate. I understand the
rocks will keep competing weeds out, but what else do I need to do to maximize
my chances for pumpkins next year. Thanks.

Dehydrated cow manure (2-1-1), one 40 lb bag per hill. Mix into the soil,
cover with a barrier layer of at least 4" of unfertilized soil to keep new
roots from burning. Plant 6 seeds per hill, to be thinned later to 2 or 3.

Quantity comes at the expense of quality. If you want giant, state fair
sized pumpkins, you need to prune all but two or three from each vine.