Old 12-08-2003, 01:42 AM
bill cameron

Default Lawn mistory

I had a small part of the lawn the seems to puddle water i.e., does not
drain well. I tried to build up the area after doing my thing in the
spring - moss kill, aerate and seeding I treated this area to more kindness
that other area, and it is doing REALLY well. In fact, this part of the lawn
grows faster than every other area by about 3X. My question is; what of the
following things has made this part of the lawn do so well

1.) I put sand which is 25% compost down every couple of days
2.) also put down some garden mix soils
3.) Raked it in every night
4.) watered it more than I should have to get it to compact down and become
part of the lawn

I would like... no LOVE for the rest of the lawn to look like this, but
don't know what part of this has made it grow so insane. Or is it the combo
of all of it?

bill

Old 13-08-2003, 10:32 AM
Chris Owens

bill cameron wrote:

[...]

All of the above: You provided good drainage, good nutrients,
and regular water. Of course, the grass is enthusiastic! The
very best lawn I ever had was one that I installed in new
construction. Because of drainage issues, the houses had been
built on a 3' layer of rip-rap fill. Instead of letting the
contractor bring in any old dirt he could find for topsoil, I
laid down a double thickness of burlap, and covered it with a
compacted foot of pure compost. After outlining the flower beds,
I seeded the 12 x 20 remaining space with a good grass blend, and
covered it with guaze for erosion control. Three weeks of daily
hand-watering later, I had a lush, green carpet.

You can repeat the same effect on your entire lawn -- without the
horrendous expense that this would be on a large scale [I can't
imagine actually covering a large lawn with guaze]:

1. Top the entire lawn with 4-6" of mixed compost and sand.
2. In the spring, reseed the whole lawn.
3. Water LIGHTLY daily until the new grass is established; make
sure the lawn gets an inch of water a week thereafter. [Do let
it go dormant in high summer.]

Chris Owens