Old 13-08-2003, 05:02 AM
Billy

Default Seed Head on El Toro Grass?

I have an El Toro lawn. If I go more than 10-14 days between mowings, a
bunch of brown seed heads start popping up. At first I was thinking that it
was a weed of some kind, but it finally dawned on me that the seed head
might be from the El Toro itself. Does anyone know if El Toro produces a
seed head?

Thanks
--
Billy

Old 15-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Chris Owens

Billy wrote:

I have an El Toro lawn. If I go more than 10-14 days between mowings, a
bunch of brown seed heads start popping up. At first I was thinking that it
was a weed of some kind, but it finally dawned on me that the seed head
might be from the El Toro itself. Does anyone know if El Toro produces a
seed head?

All grass makes seed. BTW, it stresses a lawn less to be mowed
more often rather than less often [although my neighbor, who's
wife has him on a 'get out of the house' project, does overdo it
a bit with his daily grooming ] When you mow less often, the
grass shades itself out and the total plant density goes down.
You're better off mowing it down to 2" every time it reaches 3".
In spring, this can mean mowing a couple of times a week. By
this time of year, when the grass should have been allowed to go
dormant, mowing may actually be every ten days to two weeks.

Chris Owens