Old 14-08-2003, 12:22 PM
Lim PE

Default Black & Decker grass strimmers (GL320) motors overheat fast

This strimmer's motor has no effective cooling : impeller is made of
plastic, fan blades are not angled to force air into motor ( has no vents
either ), heat will build up in steel rotor shaft & cannot escape, so
copper coils will melt. When I glued an impeller onto rotor shaft using
std (OPC) cement , the cement disintegrated into powder when the shaft
got incredibly hot ( in ambient air of 29°C ) ! My hitachi EM-8 mower'
s motor's cooling is good : motor doesn't heat up @ all, rotor shaft is
always cool.
My mum bought a new strimmer after each strimmer's motor's coil
melted, 4 strimmers in total. After 3 motors' coils melted, 1 rewinder (
electrician ) told me not to let these motors heat up.
Impeller should be made of metal ( preferably aluminium alloy ) so
heat can escape from motor's shaft, fan blades should be angled to force
air into motor, vents should exist to let out heated air. Electric cable
attached was oversized ( 6 amp capable at least ) & overweight, just 2
amp cable will suffice ( spec says 240v, 1.2A, 240w )
I advise others to chk out alternatives 1st, before buying these stupid
strimmers ( overweight & overheat ).

Old 15-08-2003, 08:02 AM
Dave M.

Lim PE wrote in message
[...]

The fan is the centrifugal type, but that does not explain a lack of vents.
I don't think a 2 amp cord is standard issue for appliances of that type.

I have a Black & Decker Hedge trimmer. The power switch made contact only at
the very bottom of it's throw, making it difficult to keep it running. I had
to take it apart and install a spacer under the switch rocker.

Others have complained about B&D drills overheating.

Even Chicago Electric equipment, made in China and sold dirt cheap at Harbor
Freight is better quality than B&D consumer stuff.

Dave M.

Old 15-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Beecrofter

"Dave M." wrote in message ...
Lim PE wrote in message
[...]

String trimmer motors make a decent cieling fan when run off a solar panel.
Old 17-08-2003, 02:42 PM
madgardener

now that's interesting Beecrofter.........................