Old 19-08-2003, 04:12 AM
zxcvbob

Default Daylily seedlings

I gathered a bunch of daylily seeds today from an unknown variety where I
work. I think they are probably Stella D'Oro. What can I expect the
seedlings to be like? Will they mostly resemble stella, but be variable in
color? How long before they bloom from seeds?

Is it best to refrigerate the fresh seeds for a couple of weeks and plant
them this fall, or save until early next spring? Or maybe plant them
immediately and accept a lower germination rate but give the seedling a few
more weeks before winter? I probably have 100 seeds or more, and can get
*lots* more. Thanks.

Best regards,
Bob, zone 4

Old 19-08-2003, 07:42 AM
Jan Flora

In article , zxcvbob
wrote:

I gathered a bunch of daylily seeds today from an unknown variety where I
work. I think they are probably Stella D'Oro. What can I expect the
seedlings to be like? Will they mostly resemble stella, but be variable in
color? How long before they bloom from seeds?

Is it best to refrigerate the fresh seeds for a couple of weeks and plant
them this fall, or save until early next spring? Or maybe plant them
immediately and accept a lower germination rate but give the seedling a few
more weeks before winter? I probably have 100 seeds or more, and can get
*lots* more. Thanks.

Best regards,
Bob, zone 4

Gee, if you have that many seeds available, I'd do trials. Toss some out now
and see what comes up in the spring. Save others to plant next spring.

I'm about to toss out seeds for echinacea, rudbeckia, various poppies and
other stuff in the next week or so. It's coming on to fall here, so those plants
are dropping seeds now, in this area. (I'm a sink-or-swim gardener. Stuff
either makes it or it doesn't. I'll do my best to give plants the
conditions they
need, but they have to tolerate a degree of neglect now & then.)

If the plants at work are dropping their seeds right now, this is probably the
right time for you to plant some at home : )

Jan
Zone 3