Old 23-08-2003, 03:22 AM
Frank Martin

Default A question about agapanthus

We live in town and we want to know if agapanthus is suitable to grow around
tree bases, even if the soil is very gravelly. Should we plant just one
agapanthus or several in a group? Please help, Frank

Old 23-08-2003, 05:02 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Sure, if its not dense shade.

Its always better to grow several in a group. Maybe more than one flower
color too?

The Agapanthus sure looked good growing along the sidewalk of O.J's former
Brentwood Estate.

Old 23-08-2003, 07:32 AM
Jan Flora

In article , "Frank Martin"
wrote:

We live in town and we want to know if agapanthus is suitable to grow around
tree bases, even if the soil is very gravelly. Should we plant just one
agapanthus or several in a group? Please help, Frank

I have no idea, but my favorite "confuse the pilgrims" sign for my driveway is:
"Beware of the Agapanthas." Most people have absolutely *no* idea what an
agapanthas is, so they're afraid to get out of their car up here at the house.

(It's going to get worse -- I have a local sculptor working on a life-sized
triceratops metal sculpture for me. It's going to be poking it's head out of
the treeline, about 1/4 mile up my driveway. My driveway is 1/2 mile long.)

Jan
Old 23-08-2003, 11:32 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Have you been smoking the Agapanthas up there in Alaska, Jan?

The subject is Agapanthus. You can't grow them in Alaska. Then again, there
are some deciduous cold hardy species that have been successfully grown
outdoors in Denver you might want to try.

Old 23-08-2003, 11:42 PM
Jan Flora

My mom grew Agapanthas in California. They're pretty plants : )

In article , "Cereoid-UR12-"
wrote:

Have you been smoking the Agapanthas up there in Alaska, Jan?

The subject is Agapanthus. You can't grow them in Alaska. Then again, there
are some deciduous cold hardy species that have been successfully grown
outdoors in Denver you might want to try.

Old 24-08-2003, 01:12 AM
Frank Martin

My agapanthus project is going to involve an electric jack hammer to get
them planted, so dense and gravelly is the terrain outside our front door.
I hope these plants are as hardy as claimed. Also, they will have to cope
with the ministrations of countless dogs being walked up and down every hour
of the day. Should I use dolomite or something similar to help them start?

wrote:

Have you been smoking the Agapanthas up there in Alaska, Jan?

The subject is Agapanthus. You can't grow them in Alaska. Then again,

there
are some deciduous cold hardy species that have been successfully grown
outdoors in Denver you might want to try.

Old 24-08-2003, 02:12 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

What do you mean by hardy?
The evergreen cultivars grown in southern California are NOT cold hardy.

Exactly where on the planet are you?

If you have to deal with dogs, planting something prickly like miniature
roses, cactus or even thistles might be far more appropriate!!!!

wrote:

Have you been smoking the Agapanthas up there in Alaska, Jan?

The subject is Agapanthus. You can't grow them in Alaska. Then again,

there
are some deciduous cold hardy species that have been successfully

grown
outdoors in Denver you might want to try.

Old 24-08-2003, 11:02 PM
Frank Martin

I live in Melbourne Australia.

news

wrote:

Have you been smoking the Agapanthas up there in Alaska, Jan?

The subject is Agapanthus. You can't grow them in Alaska. Then

again,
there
are some deciduous cold hardy species that have been successfully

grown
outdoors in Denver you might want to try.

Old 25-08-2003, 04:22 AM
Jan Flora

Do they sell the American magazine, "Horticulture" in Oz? My mom
just sent the August 2003 issue and one of the big feature articles is
about Agapanthas. I'll read it tonight and try to give you a synopsis.
(I'd forgotten just how pretty those plants are...)

Jan

wrote:

Have you been smoking the Agapanthas up there in Alaska, Jan?

The subject is Agapanthus. You can't grow them in Alaska. Then

again,
there
are some deciduous cold hardy species that have been successfully

grown
outdoors in Denver you might want to try.

Old 27-08-2003, 09:22 AM
Michele Deering

Hi
Here in Gippsland Vic Aust. they are virtually indestructible, we commonly
refer to them as farm weed. Even when you dump them on the ground they grow
well. We must be lucky as far as aggies are concerned they look great up
long drives etc and they really no attention at all, I have some that the
chooks lay their eggs in the middle, the cat even had kittens in the middle
once.

Michele

"Frank Martin" wrote in message
I live in Melbourne Australia.

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
news
What do you mean by hardy?
The evergreen cultivars grown in southern California are NOT cold hardy.

Exactly where on the planet are you?

If you have to deal with dogs, planting something prickly like miniature
roses, cactus or even thistles might be far more appropriate!!!!

[IMG] code is On

Agapanthus propagation (pods\seeds) Ruth Australia 11 22-01-2011 11:28 AM
Agapanthus question Clive Holden[_2_] United Kingdom 1 10-08-2009 04:04 PM
Agapanthus Loosecannon Australia 1 28-03-2003 08:20 PM
Agapanthus tangle John United Kingdom 2 08-03-2003 06:22 PM
Agapanthus propagation (pods\seeds) Rita Bogna Australia 0 15-02-2003 06:11 AM