Old 28-08-2003, 04:02 AM
Shell91

Default Newbie questions

Hi,
I have just found his newsgroup and I have some newbie questions:

1. How do I bring back a dried out, brown, potted day lily?
It's in a plastic pot and I would like to put it with my other two day
lilies that are in my small garden plot in front of my front window.

2. I have just bought some iris rhizomes and would like to plant them next
to the day lilies. What is the best way to plant them?

3. Got some semi-wilted Japanese blood grass in small 3" pots. They were
shipped to me and arrived a bit dried out. I've let them rest a bit after
unpacking and have since watered them. I want to put them into a pot and
out in the front garden plot until I decide exactly where they're going to
go. Will this hurt them?

4. I am also wondering if seeds (morning glory, red sunflower, and a few
wildflower seeds) will germinate after being kept in an envelope for about 2
years?

BTW my house is situated front facing north west and back south east (I
think) and I have one iris, a deep rust colored one, which was planted years
ago and has both naturalised and self seeded to another location (the plot
in front of the front window), and a gorgeous huge red amaryllis which
started out sprouting in the garage and had ended up naturalised in the
front garden plot as 6 plants. I usually let the grass grow up around the
iris plants, day lilies, and amaryllis plants (this has saved them from
freezing more than once and kept them from drying out as well.
I live in south east Texas on the gulf coast.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated I am more of a throw it in the
ground and leave it alone gardener since I am disabled and can't do a lot of
puttering.

Shell

Old 28-08-2003, 05:22 AM
Carolyn LeCrone

"Shell91" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

1. Pretend the day lily has gone dormant for the year. Plant it and

hope. They're pretty hardy. You MIGHT want to leave it in the pot and
water it sparingly until next Spring. If you see signs of green, plant it
in the garden.
2. Plant iris rhizomes so that the top of the rhizome is almost at the soil
surface.
3. The blood grass might not look great for a while but should be fine in a
pot.
4. Don't know about those specific seeds, but many survive for quite a few
years. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. You might want to start them in
peat pots to see if they sprout before going to the trouble of putting them
in the ground. Wild flowers - sprinkle them outside in the fall.

Old 28-08-2003, 05:32 AM
Starlord

If the DL is dead, there's nothing that will help, but to see if it's dead or
not, put the pot into something that can hold water in it and soak the pot, if
the DL is still alive, in a week or two you might see some growth, if not it's
history.

As for the Iris, it's not a good idea to plant them to close to any plant, they
are big time feeders and need room to spread out too.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

"Shell91" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

---

Old 28-08-2003, 05:32 AM
Starlord

put the pots of grass into a bigger pot filled with soil and wet it down, this
will protect the grass and give a place for the roots to grow.

I planted seeds from a seed package dated 1924 and the seeds grew just fine.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning
lingered: and along the path he once had followed, man would one day go
again."

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

.. .

Old 28-08-2003, 05:42 AM
Shell91

Going to try soaking the day lily.
Will try to keep the iris's in one spot

Thanks
Shell

"Starlord" wrote in message
[...]

.. .

Old 28-08-2003, 06:02 AM
Shell91

Thanks for the help. I will try soaking the day lily and get some peat pots
for the seeds
Shell

"Carolyn LeCrone" wrote in message

.. .