Old 03-09-2003, 01:22 AM
vincent p. norris

Default "Perpetuating" an impatiens

I was given an especially attractive impatiens. Can I overwinter it,
or take cuttings, or somehow extend its life beyond this fall?

What's the best way? It's probably a hybrid, so seed-saving won't
work, will it?

Thanks. vince norris
Old 03-09-2003, 05:42 AM
B & J

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message
news
I was given an especially attractive impatiens. Can I overwinter it,
or take cuttings, or somehow extend its life beyond this fall?

What's the best way? It's probably a hybrid, so seed-saving won't
work, will it?

Thanks. vince norris

A cutting that you can root easily in vermiculite or water works well. I
don't know your zone, but if it's 3 or 4, do it immediately. Seeds work but
hybrids aren't necessarily reliable and starting impatiens from seeds is
not that easy unless you've done it.

BTW, if you go with cuttings, be aware that impatiens are a favorite of
spider mites. I used to have a large collection of double impatiens and made
sure no unwelcome travelers accompanied cuttings.

John

Old 04-09-2003, 07:02 AM
Chris Owens

"vincent p. norris" wrote:

I was given an especially attractive impatiens. Can I overwinter it,
or take cuttings, or somehow extend its life beyond this fall?

What's the best way? It's probably a hybrid, so seed-saving won't
work, will it?

Thanks. vince norris

Now, before the frost, take cuttings of 2-3" healthy stems with
several leaf bunches. You can root them in water or in sharp
sand that is kept very damp. Take three to four times as many
cuttings as you want plants; not all will root, and this will let
you choose from the healthiest. When good root development is in
process, plant them in potting soil, and keep in bright indirect
light, watering when the top of the soil becomes dry, but never
letting them stand in soggy soil. Next spring, after the last
frost is well past, you can plant out your impatiens for the
summer.

Chris Owens