Old 04-09-2003, 04:12 PM
Phisherman

Default Weed identification

I'm having some difficulties finding pictures of a weed that is
difficult to irradiate in my lawn. It grows on wirey stems with light
green fleshy leaves. The leaves have a smooth edge and pointed. The
small white flowers have four petals. It grows flat, on top of the
grass, and the mower blades miss this weed. Handpulling just breaks
the plant off at the base, and it quickly grows back in a week. It
grows in full sun. I control it by painting it with RoundUp, but that
is laborious. Unlike most weeds, it does not mind growing on top of a
thickly planted lawn. Any ideas what this could be? Thanks
Old 05-09-2003, 11:32 AM
Frogleg

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 15:08:05 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

I'm having some difficulties finding pictures of a weed that is
difficult to irradiate in my lawn. It grows on wirey stems with light
green fleshy leaves. The leaves have a smooth edge and pointed. The
small white flowers have four petals. It grows flat, on top of the
grass, and the mower blades miss this weed. Handpulling just breaks
the plant off at the base, and it quickly grows back in a week. It
grows in full sun. I control it by painting it with RoundUp, but that
is laborious. Unlike most weeds, it does not mind growing on top of a
thickly planted lawn. Any ideas what this could be? Thanks

No ID, but it sounds like a candidate for some broadleaf spray, which
would be less laborious than individual RoundUp treatment. I have
something similar, and just haven't been able to find a small
hand-sprayer of Weed-b-gon to treat it.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Phisherman

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 10:27:09 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

[...]

I've tried Spectricide and Weed-B-Gone. They are effective with two
or three applications on this particular weed. I've been fighting
this weed for many years, and now I yank them out (break them off)
while I mow and out them into a plastic bag. I'd like to learn more
about this weed, but not having identified it makes it difficult to
find on the web. I thought it is knotweed or pigweed (the leaves look
like a pig's ear). I'm patient and still searching. Anyone know
about a good web site for weed identification?
Old 05-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Toonartist

You could try www.scotts.com . Or you could try bring a specimen to your
local county extension and they should be able to help you.

-Kevin

Don't forget to check out my cartoon, Virtual Humor!
http://www.kevinduffy.net/vh.htm

Old 05-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Phisherman

Here's a scan of two of the weeds
http://home.att.net/~g.popa/weed.jpg

A few days ago I said ...

Old 05-09-2003, 10:02 PM
Marcy Hege

Could it be dayflower? Check out at
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/wayne/agricu...dayflower.html
Old 05-09-2003, 11:02 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

You may or may not want to feel guilty for calling this uncommon but
widespread native plant a weed. If it was a bit more showier, it would be
grown as a garden plant.

It is Diodia virginiana L., commonly called "Buttonweed".

http://www.missouriplants.com/Whiteo...iana_page.html

http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/...iodiavirg.html

http://fp.bio.utk.edu/botany/Botany_...t.su00/New%20w
ebpage/Rubiaceae/Buttonweed.jpg

The paired leaves and four petaled white flowers are characteristic.

Since it is a plant that favors wet soil, your lawn is probably getting a
bit too much water.

Old 06-09-2003, 12:02 AM
Phisherman

It is Buttonweed (Diodia Virginiana L.) and it grows in the lower
parts of the yard where there is a lot of water (a natural spring-fed
pond and mountain brook are nearby and I have a crawfish problem in
the yard). I've been diligent about handpicking it before it
flowers, but there's always new seeds coming in. Thanks to all that
responded.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:22 PM
Frogleg

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 21:57:45 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"
wrote:

You may or may not want to feel guilty for calling this uncommon but
widespread native plant a weed. If it was a bit more showier, it would be
grown as a garden plant.

It is Diodia virginiana L., commonly called "Buttonweed".

http://www.missouriplants.com/Whiteo...iana_page.html

http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/...iodiavirg.html

http://fp.bio.utk.edu/botany/Botany_...t.su00/New%20w
ebpage/Rubiaceae/Buttonweed.jpg

The paired leaves and four petaled white flowers are characteristic.

Since it is a plant that favors wet soil, your lawn is probably getting a
bit too much water.

That's it! Buttonweed. And it's sure vriginiana. "Too much" water may
not be a requisite. It's certainly been a lot more vigorous in this
rainy spring/summer, but appears and thrives even in dry years.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Phisherman

wrote:

You may or may not want to feel guilty for calling this uncommon but
widespread native plant a weed. If it was a bit more showier, it would be
grown as a garden plant.

It is Diodia virginiana L., commonly called "Buttonweed".

http://www.missouriplants.com/Whiteo...iana_page.html

http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/...iodiavirg.html

http://fp.bio.utk.edu/botany/Botany_...t.su00/New%20w
ebpage/Rubiaceae/Buttonweed.jpg

The paired leaves and four petaled white flowers are characteristic.

Since it is a plant that favors wet soil, your lawn is probably getting a
bit too much water.

That's it! Buttonweed. And it's sure vriginiana. "Too much" water may
not be a requisite. It's certainly been a lot more vigorous in this
rainy spring/summer, but appears and thrives even in dry years.

Right. I've known that habitat and characteristics of Buttonweed for
many years, yet it was not until now I have it identified. This is
one tough weed to control!

Old 07-09-2003, 11:12 AM
Frogleg

wrote:

You may or may not want to feel guilty for calling this uncommon but
widespread native plant a weed. If it was a bit more showier, it would be
grown as a garden plant.

It is Diodia virginiana L., commonly called "Buttonweed".

http://www.missouriplants.com/Whiteo...iana_page.html

http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/...iodiavirg.html

http://fp.bio.utk.edu/botany/Botany_...t.su00/New%20w
ebpage/Rubiaceae/Buttonweed.jpg

That's it! Buttonweed. And it's sure vriginiana. "Too much" water may
not be a requisite. It's certainly been a lot more vigorous in this
rainy spring/summer, but appears and thrives even in dry years.

Right. I've known that habitat and characteristics of Buttonweed for
many years, yet it was not until now I have it identified. This is
one tough weed to control!

Hmm. Checking Cereoid's URLs with mentions of seeds leads me to
believe if we can see the flowers, we've waited too long to apply some
form of control. I'll bet a couple of seasons of zapping this as soon
as we can recognize the leaves might be quite effective.

[IMG] code is On

Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Troy Church Ponds 7 05-04-2005 09:22 PM
weed identification paxwax Australia 1 01-09-2003 01:32 AM
Weed Identification assistance please! Larry Gardening 13 14-06-2003 12:20 AM
Weed Identification Bonnie Espenshade Gardening 6 10-06-2003 01:56 AM
Weed identification GeoThermal United Kingdom 6 03-04-2003 05:45 PM