Old 05-09-2003, 10:02 PM
Jacqueline Davidson

Default creating a memorial garden

We plan to keep a garden area which has already been planted as a memorial
garden to loved ones who have passed on. We are looking for ideas for a
nice marker. Anyone have ideas? Does anyone have this already, and did
you place names on the sign or not?
Jackie

Old 05-09-2003, 11:22 PM
Bill Oliver

In article Yy66b.46327$xf.7197@lakeread06,
Jacqueline Davidson wrote:
We plan to keep a garden area which has already been planted as a memorial
garden to loved ones who have passed on. We are looking for ideas for a
nice marker. Anyone have ideas? Does anyone have this already, and did
you place names on the sign or not?
Jackie

I have a friend who approached this in a way that worked pretty well. He
went to a nearby college and talked to one of the fine arts instructor.
With the advice of the instructor, he commissioned one of the students
to create an outdoor sculpture. It was a win-win-win situation. My
friend got a reasonably nice commissioned piece on the cheap. The
prof used it as a way of teaching the student. The student got some
cash for his semester project.

The only drawback I saw was that one has to make sure that everybody's
vision is in sync. I have also seen this kind of thing go bad, where
the student wanted to create something a bit more out there then the
customer wanted, and it ended up in the garage -- everybody was ****ed.
The customer ended up with a $3000 doorstop and the student was upset
because her work was hidden and not appreciated.

Generally, though, if you are in sync with the instructor, neither
vision nor quality are much of a problem, as long as you not looking
for a museum piece.

You might also be surprised if you ask around to find out that you
have acquaintances or friends who do large scuptures. Over the
past couple of years, I have run into three acquaintances who do
pretty good work out of their garages. One is a mathematician who
does geometric sculpture, one is a forensic graphics person/crime
scene reconstructionist who does commissioned representative art,
and a third who is a mechanic who does these strange welded
nuts/bolts/gears thingies.

billo
Old 06-09-2003, 02:22 AM
Jacqueline Davidson

Thanks, Bill, for the idea. We may try that when we have moved to Tn,
hopefully by next year.
Now we will probably get a marker that we can move along with us.
Jackie

Old 06-09-2003, 05:03 AM
zebrin

Jacqueline Davidson wrote:
[...]

-------------------------

---- A nice thing to do is to make a memorial garden in your yard for
that special someone -before- they pass on not after it happens so you
can tell them about it and show it to them and share it with them. I
have started one. That person has seen it. It has a statue "of them"
facing a moutain view. I told this person I will always have it
with me and if I move away ...I will take it all with me. It can be
changed to go with the seasons or extra special times with a few
little added somethings. Just a tiny empty vase next to a statue
where you change a flower can be nice. We don't always want to dwell
on a persons death sometimes with pictures all around us always...
like inside the house. (Some people do - some don't.) But a memorial
garden is outside and not necessarily something staring at us
continually which I like even better. Mine is next to a hammock
overlooking that mountain view. Tinkling chimes are in the distance
but no houses or cars are in view and it's a very quiet part of the
yard. I think a focal point that you "both are looking at" is the key
even if it's just a fountain, feeder or birdbath as if you are
birdwatching together or admiring the view together. I like it better
than an altar type arrangement where you are staring at some objects.
So in our case it will be just he and I, still sitting there admiring
the greenery and treetops and the everlasting sky. We will be
looking at it "together" "forever".

For my Dad,

Zebrin

Old 06-09-2003, 06:02 AM
J. Lane

Have you any friends with some artistic ability? If so, try buying round
cement flagstones or get a large flat rock, and have your friend paint it
(them) with acrilic paints and seal with a spray sealer. I have a space in
one of my flower beds that can never grow anything due to the tree in it
sapping all over the soil. I went to the nearby river and grabbed a large
fairly flat rock and painted it with a picture of an Iris. It looks really
nice there and nobody notices there are no flowers growing in that spot.
A community garden project designed to help disabled people in my city learn
to grow their own food and preserve as well as cook their produce, bought
loads of round flagstones and had the volunteers write the name of a
sponsor or contributor as well as doing painting of their choice ( flowers,
a cottage, veggies, etc.) on each one. Now the project has a lasting
memorial of all the contributors in a walkway.
--
Jayel

Old 06-09-2003, 09:42 PM
Jacqueline Davidson

Thank you everyone. Your suggestions have touched my heart.
We saw an angel fountain type garden ornament at Lowes which is worth
considering. I do want some running water in the garden when we get
settled. Even an angel on a birdbath might be OK. I am sure we will find
the right things to put there.
Jackie