Old 12-09-2003, 09:12 PM
AnonnyMoose

Default Black Plastic Weed Barrier - a killer??

I've just noticed my neighbor laying black plastic on the ground under an
old cherry tree and I was just wondering if this is going to interfere with
the tree's water uptake. The plastic circles the tree in about a 7 foot
radius, as well as 15 feet out another 2/3 of the way around it, under the
drip zone. It's a lot of black plastic, and now it looks like bark mulch
going on top. Will water get through to the roots? Is she inadvertantly
killing the tree in order to keep weeds out of what appears to be a new
flower bed going in? Will there be masses of slugs reproducing under it?
Yikes!

karen
portland, or

Old 12-09-2003, 10:45 PM
Frankhartx

I've just noticed my neighbor laying black plastic on the ground under an
old cherry tree and I was just wondering if this is going to interfere with
the tree's water uptake. The plastic circles the tree in about a 7 foot
radius, as well as 15 feet out another 2/3 of the way around it, under the
drip zone. It's a lot of black plastic, and now it looks like bark mulch
going on top. Will water get through to the roots? Is she inadvertantly
killing the tree in order to keep weeds out of what appears to be a new
flower bed going in? Will there be masses of slugs reproducing under it?
Yikes!

What sort of "black plastic" It should be the type called landscape fabric and

it is porous That is the material that properly should be used in the situation
you describe.

Old 12-09-2003, 11:32 PM
TOM KAN PA

Yes, landscape fabric. Not plastic garbage bags laid out, not a black
tarpaulin, etc., LANDSCAPE FABRIC! Preferably professional landscape fabric.
It costs a little more, but the additional cost is worth it.

Old 13-09-2003, 12:22 AM
Warren

AnonnyMoose wrote:
I've just noticed my neighbor laying black plastic on the ground under

an
old cherry tree and I was just wondering if this is going to interfere

with
the tree's water uptake. The plastic circles the tree in about a 7

foot
radius, as well as 15 feet out another 2/3 of the way around it, under

the
drip zone. It's a lot of black plastic, and now it looks like bark

mulch
going on top. Will water get through to the roots? Is she

inadvertantly
killing the tree in order to keep weeds out of what appears to be a

new
flower bed going in? Will there be masses of slugs reproducing under

it?
Yikes!

If it's really plastic, that could be a problem. But I suspect that what
you're looking at is landscape fabric. Landscape fabric is porous, and
will allow water to pass. If it were plain old plastic, like the stuff
garbage bags and window covering is made from, not only won't the water
penetrate, the bark mulch would wash off, and dirty puddles would form
in the low spots and folds.

I've had limited success with landscape fabric, and some
disappointments. Weeds will occasionally penetrate it growing in the
mulch with roots that go down through the fabric. Once that happens, the
weeds are harder to pull. Also, if you ever plan to plant something in
those places, you have to cut or remove the fabric, and you'll probably
find the soil under it is not in very good shape. And don't even think
of getting a rototiller anywhere near it! The only place I still have
any is under a pathway that's never going to be planted. (I've been
using multiple layers of newspaper covered with thick mulch in areas
that I'm converting from either weeds or grass to become eventual beds,
and just thick mulch in beds that don't have a weed or grass problem.)

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug:
Support me at: http://www.holzemville.com/mall/

Old 13-09-2003, 01:02 AM
AnonnyMoose

Yes, I think it is a very heavy landscape fabric after all. I've not seen
before stuff that reflect lights like this. All I could see was a black
shine. Looking closer I can see texture.

karen

Old 14-09-2003, 05:02 AM
animaux

It's a big huge mistake to use black plastic and prevent the gas exchange, roots
to surface. I don't care if it's landscape fabric plastic with all those holes.
They are horrible, they don't work as the weeds which prevail go right through
them and it is very hard for water to permeate down to the soil. It gets soaked
up by the mulch and lays there on top.

Yes, she is producing a problem.

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:06:08 -0700, "AnonnyMoose"
opined:

Old 15-09-2003, 11:42 PM
FOW

I use fabric, but MY weeds grow right thru it. When I pull the weed it
leaves big holes in the fabric. I can't win.
Black plastic just degrades over a 2 year span anyway, IE
just get's brittle and disintegrates, even when covered with wood chip's.
Sorry to say this ,but I use Round Up or Finaly....? Spelling ? To deal with
my weeds.