Old 16-09-2003, 10:32 PM
Hinzy

Default Worm composting

Hi,
Im vermicasting, composting with worms. I have the Worm Factory,
with 1 tray in operation. I get about a cup of 'worm juice' every
week. Im interested in what the mixure I should use to fight the
fungus on my roses and also to feed my plants.

Thanks.
Hinzy
Old 17-09-2003, 12:42 AM
paghat

In article , newsgroup wrote:

On 16 Sep 2003 14:25:51 -0700, (Hinzy) wrote:

Hi,
Im vermicasting, composting with worms. I have the Worm Factory,
with 1 tray in operation. I get about a cup of 'worm juice' every
week. Im interested in what the mixure I should use to fight the
fungus on my roses and also to feed my plants.

Thanks.
Hinzy

A number of methods could be used to create an environment where the
fugal infections are outcompetted. Innoculating with micorhyzae and
foliar applications of compost tea,

Just bare in mind that ALL controlled field studies to date find that
aerated compost teas have exactly the same effect on garden pathogens as
regular watering. "Foliare application" of NON-aerated teas has had some
limited minor effect not reliably reproduced; the vendor-recommended
aerated tea don't even have this random unpredictable benefit.

So innoculating with micorhyzae & health-benefits of foliar application by
means of compost teas has to date not been shown to have any effect on the
garden pathogens, & must be related to the compost heap of common garden
myths. Expect vendors to forever try to convince folks otherwise, since
the aerating equipmetn they want to sell you costs three to five hundred
dollars. It makes a tepid, organic substitute for commercial liquid
fertilizers. That's all.

switching to plant based
fertilizers and topdressing soil with your vermicompost would likely
move you in the direction of controlling pathogens without chemicals.

THAT part is absolutely true, & the same researchers who've shown that
compost tea does none of this always point out that topcoating with
compost does have the benefits falsely alleged of the teas.

As future field studies come in, it is not absolutely impossible that
someone somewhere under some circumstances may find some benefit for
aerated teas above that of plain water, as has already been found
unpredictably of non-aerated teas. But to date it seems to have zero
benefit as regards the microorganism population in the soil (let alone on
the surface of leaves from foliar spraying), & the best that might be said
is this: If someday some slight benefit in this direction can be shown in
favor of the teas, it remains that the effect of topcoating with compost,
& regular watering, is reliable & predictable in its value against
pathogens in the garden, not requiring superstitious belief in
hypothetical values the science does not substantiate.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/