Old 30-09-2003, 01:12 AM
Tom J

Default Whats with Wal Mart garden center

"samuel l crowe" wrote in message
I bought 80 bags of mushroom compost and 80 large bales of peat moss from
Wal Mart @ $1.00 ea. This was at the store on the other side of town, on the
way home I drove by the WM near me and they were still selling at the
regular price, go figure.

The garden centers are sub-leased, or were, so that may explain some of this.
Slow items taking up space they are paying dearly for each day!!

Tom J

Old 30-09-2003, 01:22 AM
Salty Thumb

"Tom J" wrote in
:

You may also be a thief!! Do you have permission to dumpster dive in
a dumpster on Wal-Mart's private property? That dumpster may contain
merchandise going to a recycling center, or it may contain stolen
goods, and you may be an accomplice, not knowing it. You could do
jail time if you don't have permission and are caught.

Tom J

Here's a recent article from yahoo.

In summary, dumpster diving is mostly legal except in New Hampshire.

N.H. Court Trashes Private Garbage Search

http://www.yahoo.com/s/116645
Old 30-09-2003, 02:02 AM
animaux

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 00:11:08 GMT, "Tom J" opined:

"samuel l crowe" wrote in message
I bought 80 bags of mushroom compost and 80 large bales of peat moss from
Wal Mart @ $1.00 ea. This was at the store on the other side of town, on the
way home I drove by the WM near me and they were still selling at the
regular price, go figure.

The garden centers are sub-leased, or were, so that may explain some of this.
Slow items taking up space they are paying dearly for each day!!

Tom J

That's not what I've been reading in my stockholder reports, annually. If this
was a practice, is isn't now or hasn't been since I owned the stock. I've owned
the stock for about 10 years.
Old 30-09-2003, 02:02 AM
Tom J

"Salty Thumb" wrote in message
"Tom J" wrote in
:

You may also be a thief!! Do you have permission to dumpster dive in
a dumpster on Wal-Mart's private property? That dumpster may contain
merchandise going to a recycling center, or it may contain stolen
goods, and you may be an accomplice, not knowing it. You could do
jail time if you don't have permission and are caught.

Tom J

Here's a recent article from yahoo.

In summary, dumpster diving is mostly legal except in New Hampshire.

N.H. Court Trashes Private Garbage Search

http://www.yahoo.com/s/116645

That article is about trash that has been delivered to the curb for trash
pick-up. Most streets and roads have right-of-way that is from a few feet to
several feet wide on each side of the paved or gravel roadway. That is far
different from a container on private property. If you are caught in a
dumpster in the city I live in, they haul you to jail and ask questions later.
I've hauled a lot of loot out of dumpsters, but I got permission from the
owners of the stuff going into the dumpsters before I dove in.

Tom J

Old 30-09-2003, 02:02 AM
Tom J

"animaux" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 00:11:08 GMT, "Tom J" opined:

"samuel l crowe" wrote in message
I bought 80 bags of mushroom compost and 80 large bales of peat moss from
Wal Mart @ $1.00 ea. This was at the store on the other side of town, on

the
way home I drove by the WM near me and they were still selling at the
regular price, go figure.

The garden centers are sub-leased, or were, so that may explain some of

this.
Slow items taking up space they are paying dearly for each day!!

Tom J

That's not what I've been reading in my stockholder reports, annually. If

this
was a practice, is isn't now or hasn't been since I owned the stock. I've

owned
the stock for about 10 years.

Does the report tell you the vision centers are leased, or that some
electronic centers are leased? Did your report ever tell you the pharmacy was
leased? I ask, because all were at one time, and the vision center near me is
still leased. I never owned Wal-Mart stock - nor Home Depot. A couple of dumb
non-moves on my part!! ;-(

Tom J

Old 30-09-2003, 03:07 AM
B & J

"jrstark" wrote in message

It could be a manager who has gotten a different lesson. I know of a
small petfood chain (since merged) that at one time was donating
opened/out of date food to local adoption groups. Someone threatened to
sue over buggy/moldy food. They stopped donating and just trashed it
after that.

Janine

Broken bags of garden products are not meant to be eaten by either an
animals or a humans. Donating them to worthy projects rather than destroying
them makes sense to me.

John

Old 30-09-2003, 02:02 PM
DavesVideo

When someone gives you a paperback without a cover, it may be an illegal book.
Bookstores tear off the covers which they return to the publisher for credit.
In doing so they are promising that the book was destroyed. The local Loews
returns the nursery’s tag on unsalable plants and throws out the plants. A
friend say an area at Lowes with sick plants and asked if they would sell her a
sick tree for a reduced price. They said, no we have to throw them out, but if
you want we will throw it into your car. With a bit of TLC the tree survived.

Speaking of dumpster diving, my wife welds sculpture and does a lot of diving
for scrap metal. In one of those big industrial sized dumpster, she will not
come up for air for minutes. I suspect there may be liability problems if
someone is hurt in a dumpster, but so far no one has chased her away.
Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave
Old 30-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Starlord

When I was a kid, I used to ride my bike down to a big pile of thrown out
transformers from a company that replaced them, I used to spend hours ripping
them apart at home and hauling the resuilting scrap metals to a junk yard for
$$. Copper then was bring the highest price.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

"DavesVideo" wrote in message
When someone gives you a paperback without a cover, it may be an illegal book.
Bookstores tear off the covers which they return to the publisher for credit.
In doing so they are promising that the book was destroyed.

---

Old 30-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Zemedelec

We'd all probably be in hog heaven in Japanese metropolises, where living space
is tight, rent sky-high and the moderately well-to-do allegedly just throw out
a lot of almost new stuff when they want to redecorate. Makes sense in a way:
if you only have space for one table and four chairs, something's got to go.
zemedelec

Old 01-10-2003, 12:12 PM
Frogleg

On 30 Sep 2003 12:57:26 GMT, (DavesVideo) wrote:

Speaking of dumpster diving, my wife welds sculpture and does a lot of diving
for scrap metal. In one of those big industrial sized dumpster, she will not
come up for air for minutes. I suspect there may be liability problems if
someone is hurt in a dumpster, but so far no one has chased her away.

One man's trash... :-) The gov't is peculiar about trash. To
discourage theft in the form of declaring an item surplus and then
retrieving it from the discard pile, no trash may be scavanged. Lovely
big wooden packing crates, perfect for constructing playhouses or
garden sheds, must be burned. There was even a long bureaucratic fight
to start a volunteer-staffed recycling program for the thousands of
soft drink cans used every day at a NASA site. I believe there *was*
an officially-sanctioned program to give the Boy Scouts leftover
electronics for their projects. The stuff we throw out is amazing.
And the rules Kafka-esque. 2-day-old bread at my local supermarket
*must* be trashed -- can't be given away for bread crumbs or duck
food. I saw video of someone in Afghanistan (I think) getting water
in a positively biblical heavy clay jug, and I'm throwing away
(recycling) virtually indestructable, lightweight 2-ltr soda bottles
every day.

Thanks, BTW, to the OP with the WalMart hint. I'm definitely going to
look into that (and into their dumpsters!).
Old 01-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Vox Humana

"Frogleg" wrote in message
[...]

Our local Kroger stores give their leftover baked goods to the county jail
(and presumably write off the donation.) The inmates always had Danish
pastries and doughnuts for breakfast. There was something kind of strange
about it.

Old 01-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Roy

YOur so right about that. I am retired military, and what they throw
away is ureal. I could make one super garden shed or barn with the
large huge beautiful plywood crates etc they throw away. At every base
I have ever been at there was a letter in the upper corner of the
units bulletin boards, stating it was against the reg to remove
anything from a dumpster, and wold lead to punishment. LOts of folks
would throw good items away and then retreive them later. ONe time
while diving in dumpsters, I had the need for a few old tires to start
a fire to burn brush piles. Its a common practice to use old tires,
placed under piles of uprooted trees and brush, and fill the tire up
with some diesel fuel and light it to light the tire and produce a
good hot fire to ignite the wood., Anyway while gettting a fe tires
out of a dumpster by a tire dealer, I found 5 brand new top line tires
under all the other tires. ALl the same brand and size. Evidently some
employee placed them there during the course of the day (Saturday) and
intended to retreive them that night or Sunday before the dumpster was
emptied, which around here is usually Monday thru Friday afternoons. I
just know he was surprised when he found his stash missing.

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 11:07:11 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

x-On 30 Sep 2003 12:57:26 GMT, (DavesVideo) wrote:
x-
x-Speaking of dumpster diving, my wife welds sculpture and does a lot of diving
x-for scrap metal. In one of those big industrial sized dumpster, she will not
x-come up for air for minutes. I suspect there may be liability problems if
x-someone is hurt in a dumpster, but so far no one has chased her away.
x-
x-One man's trash... :-) The gov't is peculiar about trash. To
x-discourage theft in the form of declaring an item surplus and then
x-retrieving it from the discard pile, no trash may be scavanged. Lovely
x-big wooden packing crates, perfect for constructing playhouses or
x-garden sheds, must be burned. There was even a long bureaucratic fight
x-to start a volunteer-staffed recycling program for the thousands of
x-soft drink cans used every day at a NASA site. I believe there *was*
x-an officially-sanctioned program to give the Boy Scouts leftover
x-electronics for their projects. The stuff we throw out is amazing.
x-And the rules Kafka-esque. 2-day-old bread at my local supermarket
x-*must* be trashed -- can't be given away for bread crumbs or duck
x-food. I saw video of someone in Afghanistan (I think) getting water
x-in a positively biblical heavy clay jug, and I'm throwing away
x-(recycling) virtually indestructable, lightweight 2-ltr soda bottles
x-every day.
x-
x-Thanks, BTW, to the OP with the WalMart hint. I'm definitely going to
x-look into that (and into their dumpsters!).

--
Visit my website: Remove nospam for correct address
http://www.nospamfrugalmachinist.com

Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects.
Regards
Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye
Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever.
Remove nospam from email address
Old 03-10-2003, 11:32 PM
Brian E. Clark

paghat wrote:

By & large when it's in the
trash, it's fair game, whether you're the cops going through the trash
looking for evidence without a search warrant (don't need one),

Not always:

http://www.courts.state.nh.us/suprem...03/goss120.htm

--
Brian E. Clark