Old 29-09-2003, 04:32 AM
Roy

Default Whats with Wal Mart garden center

I have to admit I like to dumpster dive, and Walmart has supplied me b
way of their large hopper dumpster with a ton of varous trees, plants
and odds and ends this year, to the point it looks like I have a
commercisal garden center myself. Most plants only need a little
tender care and decent waterings and conditions, and the majority of
them grew and bloomed just fine.

Last week I picked up 66 5 gal buckets with a 40 pound bad of
fertilized potting soil in each bucket, marketed by Miracle Grow, out
of the Walmart Dumpster. All new and unopened. Today I made three,
yess three trips in my pickup truck and loaded it to the max each
trip with bags of various potting soils in 40 to 50 pound bags, and
also bag after bag of pine bark and also Cypress shredded mulch, as
well as 4, 50 pound bags of Rye grass seed, and some assorted other
smaller packages of various grass seeds...centipede, Fescue etc, in 5
and 10 pound packs. All of this was just thrown in the dumpster.

I coould have made maybe two more trips, but my back was about give
out. There was still still quite a few bags of mulches, and soil, and
who knows what else under all of that stuff. Its mainly stuff thats
dumped from the garden center, not regular garbage. They also throw
store displays and racks etc in this dumpster, which have turned into
great metal racks for holding lots of potted plants.
--
Visit my website: Remove nospam for correct address
http://www.nospamfrugalmachinist.com

Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects.
Regards
Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye
Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever.
Remove nospam from email address
Old 29-09-2003, 04:32 AM
Tom J

You may also be a thief!! Do you have permission to dumpster dive in a
dumpster on Wal-Mart's private property? That dumpster may contain
merchandise going to a recycling center, or it may contain stolen goods, and
you may be an accomplice, not knowing it. You could do jail time if you don't
have permission and are caught.

Tom J

Old 29-09-2003, 04:32 AM
paghat

In article ,
"Tom J" wrote:

You may also be a thief!! Do you have permission to dumpster dive in a
dumpster on Wal-Mart's private property? That dumpster may contain
merchandise going to a recycling center, or it may contain stolen goods, and
you may be an accomplice, not knowing it. You could do jail time if you don't
have permission and are caught.

Tom J

In 1988 the US Supreme Court ruled that trash-picking is legal. But there
are centuries-old precident laws going back even to Jolly Old England that
establish as a veritable "right" for scavengers to obtain & keep or sell
anything they find in the trash. A very few cities have nevertheless put
restrictions on dumpster diving & local laws should be checked at the
library (does no good to ask the police who won't know, won't look it up,
but might say it's illegal rather than admit they don't know & don't care
if its legal or not).

Exceptions are when dumpsters are locked, are inside gates, or posted no
trespassing, or when special municiple restrictions on recycle bins as
distinct from dumpsters of mixed refuse. By & large when it's in the
trash, it's fair game, whether you're the cops going through the trash
looking for evidence without a search warrant (don't need one), a crazy
nosy neighbor reading then posting on the web someone's discarded
correspondence (no legal right to privacy if it is thrown in the trash), a
hungry homeless guy looking for pizza rinds, a craftsperson looking for
junk to weld together into "art", a junk dealer looking for salable
freebies, a major recycling company contracting with the city or county
but NOT with whoever threw out the garbage, or a dumpster diving hobbyist.

The illegal part would be depositing your own trash in someone else's
dumpster; circumventing a lock; or leaving a mess. When trash is on the
curb or alley, there is not even a trespassing issue, but on business
tarmacks or parking lots the issue of trespassing can become clouded,
though if legal access is generally permitted for customers, so too it is
for dumpster divers. Garbage left on a property that does not permit
general access is illegal to take -- that worn out couch on the curb is
legal to take, but the when it was still sitting on the front lawn getting
rained on & moldy, it was still the homeowner's personal possession. There
are also "intellectual property" issues; if I throw out a manuscript for
an original short story & you find it, it's yours, but you can't publish
it; or if you find a computer harddrive, it's yours, but the software on
it might not be legally transferable; & so on.

Most dumpster diving is behind retail shops. The restriction (with
exceptions) is usually a lock, not a law. No lock, no prohibition.
Dumpster diving has become so common, though, that more cities feel the
need to regulate diving, as sometimes guys with big trucks drive through
alleys getting recyclables & whatnot, & sometimes bums leave nuisance
calling-cards like all the black plastic bags ripped open & scattered
about a parking lot. A few states are more concerned with taxing the
microbusinesses of dumpster divers who scrounge & sell enough stuff to
make a living without being detected by the taxing authorities.

Habitual dumpster divers sometimes keep photocopies of articles on the
Supreme Court ruling to give to irate shopowners who threaten to call the
cops on dumpster divers. Politely informing them of the law, as long as
it's not rudely expressed, & your reassurance that you'll be following the
law & leaving no mess, usually shuts them up. If the owner doesn't care if
it's legal or not but just wants you to go the hell away, they will have
to post a no-trespassing sign or put a lock on their dumpster. As many do.
Otherwise, if it's in the trash, you can have it.

Of course, some businesses put stuff out back beside the dumpster with the
EXPECTATION that it will be hauled away by dumpster divers, & they're glad
of it, it keeps them from having to pay for a bigger dumpster.

Dumpster diving activists:
http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark...807/index.html
http://www.spub.ksu.edu/ISSUES/v100/...pstr-page.html
http://www.allthingsfrugal.com/dumpster.htm
http://members.aol.com/TheDumpsterLa...mpsterlady.htm

The seriously bad side-effect of dumpster diving is the great many
businesses that throw out credit card information. Last year Congress once
again failed to pass a law requiring businesses to discard c.c.
information safely by returning it to a bank or shredding it; Visa &
Mastercard persistently lobbies against such laws. The majority of
illegally used c.c. numbers are obtained by dumpster diving. Yet people
worry about emailing such information, which is still the minority source
of stolen numbers (and even hackers rely on info found in dumpsters,
dumpsters being a good place to find passwords). If your personal stats
are in the trash, they can be legally taken by anyone who finds them, but
their use of them might be illegal. See he
http://www.iss.net/security_center/a...ng/default.htm

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 29-09-2003, 04:32 AM
Brigitte J.

Tom J wrote in message
You may also be a thief!! Do you have permission to dumpster dive in a
dumpster on Wal-Mart's private property?

My home is on private property and the state laws here state that anything I
have set out on the street for the garbage man is fair game. Check where
you live, it may be the same there.

or it may contain stolen goods, and
you may be an accomplice, not knowing it.

This is true.

You could do jail time if you don't
have permission and are caught.

I don't believe you need permission to go through a garbage dumpster.

Brigitte

Old 29-09-2003, 05:02 AM
B & J

"Roy" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know where you're located, but your WallyWorld manager needs lessons
in community relations and economics. That (wo)man is missing a golden
opportunity if those gardening products aren't being donated to local garden
clubs for community projects. In our area any broken bags or left over
seasonal gardening items are donated to garden clubs, who are responsible
for maintaining public projects. Not only do these items give the people
involved in receiving this products a good feeling about WalMart but also
make them logical consumers of WalMart products. In addition, the items
donated are listed by the recipients and provide a tax write off. This is a
win - win situation for WalMart and the community.

John

Old 29-09-2003, 06:02 AM
jammer

I scoped out the walmart dumpsters here and they are big industrial
ones, possibly recyclers. I cant get a single plant. etc.

Old 29-09-2003, 04:12 PM
JNJ

My home is on private property and the state laws here state that anything
have set out on the street for the garbage man is fair game. Check where
you live, it may be the same there.

I don't believe you need permission to go through a garbage dumpster.

Once it hits the curb, it's fair game. Problem for this fellow though is
that he is going on private property to get to the dumpster -- that's
trespassing. All things depending, that could land him in a world of hurt.

James

Old 29-09-2003, 04:12 PM
JNJ

Paghat, sometimes you scare me.

James

Old 29-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Grandpa

Brigitte J. wrote:

Tom J wrote in message

You may also be a thief!! Do you have permission to dumpster dive in a
dumpster on Wal-Mart's private property?

My home is on private property and the state laws here state that anything I
have set out on the street for the garbage man is fair game. Check where
you live, it may be the same there.

I suspect that they dump it for the tax break or whatever sort of
'gains/loss' break they can get. Bean counter stuff.

Funny about the garbage, where I live once its on the curb, its city
property so they get really upset if others go thru it, however if the
dogs etc spread it around, suddenly its YOUR property again.

Old 29-09-2003, 06:02 PM
jrstark

B & J wrote:
"Roy" wrote in message

[...]

It could be a manager who has gotten a different lesson. I know of a
small petfood chain (since merged) that at one time was donating
opened/out of date food to local adoption groups. Someone threatened to
sue over buggy/moldy food. They stopped donating and just trashed it
after that.

Janine

Old 29-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Madgardener

Just to let ya'll know out there what might be the actual reason.....since
working at Lowes now, they have what is called a "buy back policy" which
never seems to make sense to me. Broken stepping stones, edgers, slightly
damaged products, like a pond that normally would have sold for over $400
but had a slight gouge in it were thrown in the crusher. They get full
credit on alot of things. That's not to say that they don't sell slightly
damaged things. I've seen appliances with dings on them reduced. But
personal experience in Outside Lawn and Garden has taught me one major
thing. If I wanted to "scrounge" the dumped pots of plants and soil, (they
sell broken bags in what they call "recovery bags" at half price)
specifically for the compost pile at home, or buy a broken stepping stone, I
wouldn't be able to do it. I'm sure WalMart has something like that policy
in place. But not working for WalMart, I could be mistaken and it could just
be them throwing it away for whatever reasons only they know. I would
myself ask someone who is friendly and works there and would know about the
throw away policy of Wally world just to check it out and keep myself from
getting into any trouble.

madgardener just thinking about this guys booty he was able to take
home........sigh.....

Old 30-09-2003, 12:12 AM
Roy

I have been removing things out of Wally Worlds dumpster and have the
security guard drive right by and wave at me. There is no law in this
town or state concerning dumpsters, as long as you do not climb over
fences or unlock areas to get to it. As far as private property is
concerned, yes it private but open to the public. Unless a sign is
posted warning you not to remove items from dumpster it perfectly
fine.

Old 30-09-2003, 12:42 AM
samuel l crowe

I bought 80 bags of mushroom compost and 80 large bales of peat moss from
Wal Mart @ $1.00 ea. This was at the store on the other side of town, on the
way home I drove by the WM near me and they were still selling at the
regular price, go figure.
-
Sam
Along the Grand Strand of Myrtle Beach SC