Old 29-09-2003, 07:12 PM
HarryD7521

Default Mulching Trees

Is it best to mulch trees with the material in a mound that slopes downward or
to make it ina a saucer shape.
I've seen both and wonder if it depends on whether the tree is newly planted or
for some other reason.
P.S. If possible, please reply by E-mail.
Thanks, Harry
Old 29-09-2003, 07:42 PM
Vox Humana

"HarryD7521" wrote in message
Is it best to mulch trees with the material in a mound that slopes

downward or
to make it ina a saucer shape.
I've seen both and wonder if it depends on whether the tree is newly

planted or
for some other reason.
P.S. If possible, please reply by E-mail.
Thanks, Harry

VOLCANO MULCHING

“Volcano” mulching is one of the most common, poor horticultural practices
in both commercial and residential landscapes. For some reason, many people
like to pile mulch around tree trunks to a depth of one foot or more, making
the mulched area look like a volcano. The recommended mulching depth,
depending on the material selected, is 2" to 2.5". At this depth, most
mulches will accommodate the primary objectives of weed control, soil
moisture conservation, and temperature modification.

Excess mulch, particularly if applied right against the stem or trunk of
landscape plants, leads to constantly wet bark and conditions favorable for
disease development. When reapplying mulch over an existing base, bring the
total depth up to 2" to 2.5".

Avoid applying 2" of mulch with each application or soon a depth much
greater than that recommended will accumulate. In autumn, pull the mulch
back approximately 6" or more from the stem or trunk of all woody plants to
avoid rodent feeding. For more information on proper mulching techniques,
refer to OSU Extension Home Yard and Garden FactSheet 1083-96, “Mulching
Landscape Plants.”

This FactSheet is available at the OSU @ TBG office, or on the web at
http://ohioline.ag.ohio-state.edu/hy...1000/1083.html

Old 29-09-2003, 11:02 PM
David Modine

Excess mulch, particularly if applied right against the stem or trunk of
landscape plants, leads to constantly wet bark and conditions favorable

for
disease development.

My neighbor "Volcano Mulched" the (cringe) Bradford Pears on his side of the
driveway I share with him.
In a recent storm, one of the trees broke off right at ground level, instead
of higher up where the tree's branches divide. I attribute it to excess
moisture trapped in the volcano's peak.

Old 30-09-2003, 02:02 AM
animaux

When I plant a tree, I dig a hole three times the size of the root ball. I
plant it a few inches more shallow than it was in the container. I put down a
layer of compost about one or two inches, then mulch. I never touch the trunk
with mulch, I don't dig trenches, or dishes, or have anything sloped. The mulch
is above the ground however deep I make it. In a years time the tree is down in
the hole...after the rains settle it in.

So, to answer your question, see above!

On 29 Sep 2003 18:10:33 GMT, (HarryD7521) opined:

Old 02-10-2003, 03:32 AM
Mike Prager

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 00:45:36 GMT, animaux

plant it a few inches more shallow than it was in the container.

Based on my experience, this is a good idea for most woody
plants. Keeps the plant from getting too deep (and the roots
deprived of oxygen).

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)