Old 12-03-2009, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mulching new trees

I planted some bare rooted fruit trees(2yr old) in December, and now
have access to some well rotted manure. Natural instinct is to mulch
around the base(not touching stem) for a metre. Some sites say don't
do this-other do. Any advice ?
Old 12-03-2009, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "
contains these words:

I planted some bare rooted fruit trees(2yr old) in December, and now
have access to some well rotted manure. Natural instinct is to mulch
around the base(not touching stem) for a metre. Some sites say don't
do this-other do. Any advice ?

Natural instinct tells me I wouldn't.

What your trees need for the short term is almost certainly available in
the surrounding ground. Keep them well-watered for the first year at
least.

You don't want to present lots of nutrients on a plate, as the roots
will not need to go looking for them, and weak trees (blow-over models)
may result.

For the future, bonemeal forked into the surface surrounding the trees
would do no harm - worms will help distribute it to lower levels.

When fruiting, extra potash and phosphorus is usually a good thing, but
I wouldn't give them any in the first year - indeed, it might pay to
prevent them fruiting altogether, or at least restrict the number of
apples.

For future planting, my advice would be to dig a big hole and toss in
bones - left over from roasts, stockmaking etc - some fairly large ones
and a lot of little ones - chicken, etc., also any old leather and
woollens (not plastic imitations and acrylic!) and mix bonemeal or
blood, fish and bone meal with the spoil as you replace it. (Works for
rhubarb, too: http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/garden.htm - and
that's had a couple of years' growth since that pic was taken...)

--
Rusty
Old 12-03-2009, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message

from "
contains these words:

[...]

Thanks for that Rusty saved Is this the same advice for all trees?

Old 12-03-2009, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

Thanks for that Rusty saved Is this the same advice for all trees?

Any that I can think of. The adage used to be (in France) that you plant
a vine over a dead donkey.

--
Rusty
Old 12-03-2009, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

Thanks for that Rusty saved Is this the same advice for all trees?

Any that I can think of. The adage used to be (in France) that you
plant a vine over a dead donkey.

Wellll not sure where I can find such a beast. How about rabbits and
pigeons? g

Old 12-03-2009, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

Thanks for that Rusty saved Is this the same advice for all trees?

Any that I can think of. The adage used to be (in France) that you
plant a vine over a dead donkey.

Wellll not sure where I can find such a beast. How about rabbits and
pigeons? g

Bonsai, anyone?

--
Rusty

Old 12-03-2009, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
.uk...
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

Thanks for that Rusty saved Is this the same advice for all trees?

Any that I can think of. The adage used to be (in France) that you plant
a vine over a dead donkey.

I planted a honeysuckle over a dead cat [victim of a prat driving too fast
through the village]. It grew very leggy but didn't do much otherwise.

--
Kathy

It's pointless to try and discuss ethics with a spider.

Old 13-03-2009, 12:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Kathy" contains these words:
"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
.uk...
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

Thanks for that Rusty saved Is this the same advice for all trees?

Any that I can think of. The adage used to be (in France) that you plant
a vine over a dead donkey.

I planted a honeysuckle over a dead cat [victim of a prat driving too fast
through the village]. It grew very leggy but didn't do much otherwise.

I would have thought it might have stopped growing after that...

--
Rusty
Old 13-03-2009, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ophelia wrote:
Rusty_Hinge wrote:

[]

that's had a couple of years' growth since that pic was taken...)

Thanks for that Rusty saved Is this the same advice for all trees?

Ophelia, not good advice for most maples trees, which don't like
very rich soil.

With apologies to Rusty, of course.

-E

Old 13-03-2009, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Emery Davis contains these words:
Ophelia wrote:
Rusty_Hinge wrote:

[]

that's had a couple of years' growth since that pic was taken...)

Thanks for that Rusty saved Is this the same advice for all trees?

Ophelia, not good advice for most maples trees, which don't like
very rich soil.

With apologies to Rusty, of course.

No need for apologies - I'm not into growing maples - working the wood, yes.

--
Rusty

Old 13-03-2009, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from Emery Davis contains these words:
Ophelia wrote:
Rusty_Hinge wrote:

[]

that's had a couple of years' growth since that pic was taken...)

Thanks for that Rusty saved Is this the same advice for all
trees?

Ophelia, not good advice for most maples trees, which don't like
very rich soil.

With apologies to Rusty, of course.

No need for apologies - I'm not into growing maples - working the
wood, yes.

I think I would be interested in growing fruit trees, but all information is
useful and welcome

Old 13-03-2009, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rusty_Hinge writes
For future planting, my advice would be to dig a big hole and toss in
bones - left over from roasts, stockmaking etc - some fairly large ones
and a lot of little ones - chicken, etc., also any old leather and
woollens (not plastic imitations and acrylic!) and mix bonemeal or
blood, fish and bone meal with the spoil as you replace it.

There is a thread currently running on the UKCider mailing list about
planting apple trees, and the advice is not to do this.

It is called 'pit planting' and advice from Thornhayes Nurseries is
quoted. See http://www.thornhayes-nursery.co.uk/advice_planting.php.

When I planted my orchard 9 years ago a forestry expert advised me just
to put a little bone meal and dried blood in the hole.

Roy.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 13-03-2009, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from "Kathy" contains these words:
"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
.uk...
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

Thanks for that Rusty saved Is this the same advice for all trees?

Any that I can think of. The adage used to be (in France) that you
plant
a vine over a dead donkey.

I planted a honeysuckle over a dead cat [victim of a prat driving too
fast
through the village]. It grew very leggy but didn't do much otherwise.

I would have thought it might have stopped growing after that...

Lol. After 36 years I still get caught out by the EA sense of humour :-}
She was a lovely little cat, and just had to have a climber, being an
intrepid climber herself.

--
Kathy

It's pointless to try and discuss ethics with a spider.

Planting and Mulching Trees symplastless Gardening 0 09-02-2008 11:05 PM
Is there a way to sell my Pine trees for mulching company for free? prad Gardening 3 28-07-2005 03:52 PM
mulching newly planted trees FardinA Gardening 5 07-07-2005 11:03 PM
Mulching Trees HarryD7521 Gardening 4 02-10-2003 03:32 AM
My New Mulching Blade Is Disappointing Jay Chan Gardening 21 16-06-2003 07:32 PM