Old 03-10-2003, 02:02 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default Now that overnight lows are 39-40 safe to assume no ripened tomatoes

Last night it hit 39 degrees and today will be a high of 59. Is it
safe to assume that the dozens of gren tomatoes are not going to
ripen. After all, 39 degrees is the temperature in parts of my fridge
and they say a tomato will never ripen once refridgerated.

I'm thinking I should pull down the tomato plants this morning.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener
Old 03-10-2003, 02:42 PM

actually pull them down so you can cover them if it gets any colder. then the warm
spell comes and they will ripen. a couple years ago I picked red tomatoes for
Thanksgiving.
that year I had many green ones after Thanksgiving so I cleaned the tomatoes off with
a little bleach water and set them up on a bench in the basement on newspaper and we
ate the last tomato on Christmas.

I couldnt wait for the first freeze for green tomato fritters....got some green
tomatoes at the local farmers market. tempura batter works wonderfully
need acid type tomatoes and when green ones are going light on the bottom is perfect
slice about 1/4 - 3/8 inch thick, put on toweling to dry them just a bit
oil at 350oF

1 egg, beaten
1 cup iced water
add 1 cup flour all at once, whisk, dont overbeat and use immediately.

I had leftovers in the frig. dropped them back into some oil and they came back just
as crispy as first time. I am going to try freezing some of the cooked fritters and
see if that works. Ingrid

gitalVinyl wrote:

Last night it hit 39 degrees and today will be a high of 59. Is it
safe to assume that the dozens of gren tomatoes are not going to
ripen. After all, 39 degrees is the temperature in parts of my fridge
and they say a tomato will never ripen once refridgerated.

I'm thinking I should pull down the tomato plants this morning.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

The end of your tomato growing season for this year has come to be.

Looking forward to having "fried green tomatoes" for dinner today?

Old 03-10-2003, 06:12 PM
D Kat

Ever read "Fried Green Tomatoes"? It has recipes in the back that are a
treat. (and the book is great) DK

gitalVinyl wrote:

Last night it hit 39 degrees and today will be a high of 59. Is it
safe to assume that the dozens of gren tomatoes are not going to
ripen. After all, 39 degrees is the temperature in parts of my fridge
and they say a tomato will never ripen once refridgerated.

I'm thinking I should pull down the tomato plants this morning.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List