Old 15-10-2003, 05:12 PM
Earl Buchan

Default Plantman Column: Attractive groundcover can repel deer, too!

The Plant Man column
for publication week of 10/19/03 - 10/25/03
(733 words)
###

The Plant Man
by Steve Jones
www.landsteward.org

Attractive groundcover can repel deer, too!

Groundcover: Can it really be practical as well as attractive? In a
previous column, I discussed the pros and cons of adding groundcover around
your trees. In fact, I asked you to imagine yourself as a tree and think how
you'd feel about groundcover invading your space!

But I believe that judicious planting of groundcover has many advantages for
you, and even for your trees in some cases.

Areas with groundcover don't need mowing and provide a welcome contrast from
a wide expanse of lawn. Additionally, groundcover can grow in shady areas
where grass can hardly survive.

But there are certain advantages to groundcover that even your trees would
appreciate, particularly if your trees serve as unintended deer fodder.

I was reading some articles by David Beaulieu at
http://www.landscaping.about.com and I was reminded that certain perennial
groundcovers that we humans find to be attractive are actually offensive to
deer.

It is logical to say that if you plant groundcover that deer actively
dislike, then they are less likely to see your landscape as an
all-they-can-eat salad bar. Deer will by-pass your property in search of
more succulent treats. This means there will be fewer deer hanging around to
chomp on your other flora – something for which your trees would no doubt
thank you if they could.

Of course, there isn't much that grows that could really be described as
"deer proof" because when they are really hungry and their favorite food is
scarce, deer will eat almost anything. But you can put the odds in your
favor by planting ground cover around your trees that deer will most likely
shy away from.

David's article reminded me that there are two pachysandras to consider when
deciding on groundcovers for deer control: Japanese pachysandra (Pachysandra
terminalis) and its American counterpart, Allegheny spurge. Pachysandra is
that rare plant that actually looks better in the shade: shielded from
direct sunlight, the leaves retain that dark green, glossy look that becomes
much paler when exposed to direct sunlight.

If pachysandra doesn't do it for you, I have a couple of other suggestions
that I very much like as ground cover and have the added advantage of
appealing to deer about as much as liver and brussel sprouts appeal to your
nine-year-old.

Trailing Periwinkle (Vinca minor). This is an excellent ground cover that
works well in both shaded and semi-shaded areas. I like the dark green oval
shaped foliage and the conspicuous blue flowers in early spring.

Carpet Bugle (Ajuga reptans). This is a creeping, mat-forming, evergreen
perennial that does well in shady areas such as under trees. This variety
has cream and maroon variegated leaves, and makes an extremely interesting
contrast in any garden.

So there you have it. Three very pleasant groundcovers that will work well
around your trees and deter the presence of deer. Let me know at
if I you need some more specific advice!

By the way, if you wish to read the entire article on deer-resistant
groundcovers, you can find it he

http://landscaping.about.com/cs/pest...deer_cover.htm and you can
instantly click on a direct link when you find this column under "The Plant
Man" heading at my web site www.landsteward.org where you also find more

columns and articles about deer repellents.

QUESTION: "There's a big Chestnut tree in the neighborhood, and squirrels
are digging up my gardens, lawn and flower pots looking for just the right
places to hide their treasures. What can I do?" – Mary Lou Supple

ANSWER: I know of one product that might help. It's called Mole-Med and is
registered with the EPA and in most states nationwide. In-depth testing at
Michigan State University confirmed Mole-Med's effectiveness against moles
and now against gophers. In addition, it appears to be an effective
repellent for rabbits, squirrels, woodchucks, raccoons and skunks. You can
use a hose end sprayer or simply attach it to a garden hose and spray. One
application should last up to 3 months, and the manufacturer says a 16 oz
container is enough to treat 5,000 sq ft. Give it a try and let me know how
it works!

The Plant Man is here to help. Send your questions about trees, shrubs and
landscaping to and for resources and additional
information, including archived columns, visit
www.landsteward.org where you
can also subscribe to Steve's free e-mailed newsletter.