Old 16-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Neil

Default Whats killing the pine trees

Last spring in upstate New York I noticed that most of the pine trees seemed
be covered with brown needles, as if the trees were dying.

Now all the pine trees on mine and the surrounding properties are suffering
the
same affliction (Fairfield Connecticut).

Anybody know what's going on here?

Neil

Old 16-10-2003, 02:22 PM
redclay

Neil wrote in message ...
Last spring in upstate New York I noticed that most of the pine trees

seemed
be covered with brown needles, as if the trees were dying.
Now all the pine trees on mine and the surrounding properties are

suffering
the
same affliction (Fairfield Connecticut).
Anybody know what's going on here?
Neil

Look for the pine bark beetle.

Old 16-10-2003, 07:42 PM

and drought

"redclay" wrote:

Neil wrote in message ...
Last spring in upstate New York I noticed that most of the pine trees

seemed
be covered with brown needles, as if the trees were dying.
Now all the pine trees on mine and the surrounding properties are

suffering
the
same affliction (Fairfield Connecticut).
Anybody know what's going on here?
Neil

Look for the pine bark beetle.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 16-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Gary M

John Bachman wrote in
:

Another possibility is road salt. Are the dead trees near major roads
that get salted in the winter, especially on the north side of the
road?

I've noticed that, though the pines seem to recover in the long term.

Old 17-10-2003, 07:43 PM
MacTech

Pine trees shed needles in the spring and fall (more in the fall than
in the spring, I've noticed). If only some of the needles are turning
brown and falling off, the trees may be going through their annual
shed cycle. If all of the needles are turning brown and the trees look
completely dead, then it's something different.

The white pines, jack pines and red pines growing on our property here
in Wisconsin are going through their shed cycle right now.

A few years ago, a row of pine trees planted next to a golf course on
a major highway in this area turned completely dry and brown from road
salt. The trees were about four feet tall at the time. I thought they
were dead. I figured there was no way they could recover. Today they
are growing and thriving and look as though nothing had happened to
them. Amazing.

LeAnn
http://ruralroute2.com
Old 18-10-2003, 01:42 AM
BraveNewWhirl

LeAnn
http://ruralroute2.com

Thanks for having an inclusive site that doesn't push religion.
Old 19-10-2003, 12:12 AM
MacTech

You're Welcome :-)

Thank you for visiting.

LeAnn

Old 20-10-2003, 08:22 PM
Bill Oliver

In article , Neil wrote:
Last spring in upstate New York I noticed that most of the pine trees seemed
be covered with brown needles, as if the trees were dying.

Now all the pine trees on mine and the surrounding properties are suffering
the
same affliction (Fairfield Connecticut).

Anybody know what's going on here?

Neil

Is the forest all of a single age? I have some land that was
pasture about 70 years ago, but then allowed to grow up in forest.
When I bought the land, I noticed that a *lot* of the pine
trees were sickly and fallen/falling. I called the local
ag extension guy out and he told me that this was natural
succession. Southern pine have a life span of 60-ish years,
and my forest was transitioning from pine to hardwood, which
were slowly taking over. Sure enough, he took me to a portion
of the place that had been in forest for greater than 90
years, and it was mostly hardwood with very few pines.

billo

Old 21-10-2003, 08:22 AM
gregpresley

"Bill Oliver" wrote in message Is the forest all of a
single age? I have some land that was
pasture about 70 years ago, but then allowed to grow up in forest.
When I bought the land, I noticed that a *lot* of the pine
trees were sickly and fallen/falling. I called the local
ag extension guy out and he told me that this was natural
succession. Southern pine have a life span of 60-ish years,
and my forest was transitioning from pine to hardwood, which
were slowly taking over. Sure enough, he took me to a portion
of the place that had been in forest for greater than 90
years, and it was mostly hardwood with very few pines.

billo

In many parts of the south, fires would have been set in the numerous summer
lightning storms, and the forest would have remained pine, because the
hardwoods are more susceptible to fire. (The pines will usually get scarred
but will regenerate). This has been supressed except in certain of the
natural forests, so much of the longleaf pine forest native to the coastal
lowlands of the entire south has transitioned to hardwoods - also pretty,
but not as useful for the wildlife native there. In the Appalachicola
national forest near Tallahassee, the forest service sets controlled fires
nearly every year in some area or another to maintain a pine forest.

[IMG] code is On

Whats Hot and Whats Not In Garden Centres This Year? [email protected] United Kingdom 0 15-07-2008 07:43 PM
pine needles killing lawn Chuck Lawns 2 22-05-2005 09:23 PM
pine tree for pine nuts jay jay United Kingdom 3 04-10-2004 07:37 AM
[IBC] Advice on Pine Trees (Pine Tree "Farm") Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 03-01-2004 09:28 PM
Advice on Pine Trees (Pine Tree "Farm") Dish Gardening 4 03-01-2004 08:42 PM