Old 20-10-2003, 09:22 PM
The Popovics

Default Need trees for buffer zone

Our school district removed 13 acres of trees behind our homes and built a
school in the resulting gully. At the top of the hill they put a 10 foot chain
link fence, and planted crown vetch on the hillside itself, because the slope
( 2:1) was too steep to plant anything else. They are required to provide a
buffer zone for us, as the wind from the west/southwest can be brutal.
Officials from the district met with us, and suggested either white pine or
honeysuckle vine. Some type of conifer is a must, as we don't want the wind
whipping through empty tree branches, as well as the hill is too steep to
worry about leaf debris. I was thinking more on the lines of Thuja Green
Giant- does anyone have any other suggestions? The cost has to be reasonable
as well, since they are willing to plant six foot trees. We are in zone 5,
southeast of Pittsburgh, Pa.

Thanks,
Caroline
Old 21-10-2003, 02:42 PM
David J Bockman

Caroline,

I'd like to make a more lengthy post, and indeed I will when time allows,
but first I would urge you to NOT allow them to plant until a Landscape
Architect or other conservationist is consulted.

Dave