Old 22-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Hildur M. Hendricks

Default Citrus trees

I just moved to Florida and bought a lemon and grapefruit tree. Does
anyone here know anything about a Sambo lemon? The only information I
have is that it is a sweet lemon and is harvested in November and
December.
Also another question.........How far apart should citrus trees be
planted?
Thank you for any information you can give me.
Hildur
Old 22-10-2003, 06:22 PM
joe s

the main consideration for citrus trees is cross pollination....i have a few
desireable cross's other not so...

i have an orange that cross's with my lemons..i get HUGE sweet lemons...

as for a Sambo lemon...not sure of the name...but as with all citrus...it is
a winter harvest...it takes a good cold snap to get the sugars ready to
ripen...i love watching all my trees turn ripe after that snap..

Old 25-10-2003, 08:02 PM
David Ross

joe s wrote [in part]:

the main consideration for citrus trees is cross pollination....i have a few
desireable cross's other not so...

Actually, citrus needs no pollination at all, let alone cross
pollination. Unpollinated citrus flowers will not only produce
fruit, but (except for seedless varieties) the fruit will contain
viable seeds.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean