Old 28-10-2003, 01:42 PM
animaux

Default What is this?

On 27 Oct 2003 18:22:53 -0700, Melissa opined:

"Cereoid-UR12-" saideth:

Datura?

IIRC wasn't that what Carlos Casteneda wrote about? Is it the same as
Jimson Weed? I don't remember after all these years.

Jimson weed is D.stramonium. Can't you take a photo?
Old 28-10-2003, 03:22 PM
Jim Elbrecht

animaux wrote:

-snip-
I've been growing and collecting datura and brugmansia for a decade. D.inoxia,
D.wrightii are not xeric, they are also not native. D.stramonium is xeric and
native, but it does not have the showy flowers lf .Wrightii and .inoxia.

Are the flowers smaller or just less prolific? [or did I misidentify
what I thought was D.stramonium?]

It's been a few years, but I thought the flowers were pretty
interesting, if not spectacular.

Is the seed pod peculiar to D.stramonium or just the results of
ingesting the seeds?

Jim
Old 28-10-2003, 11:42 PM
Melissa

Jim Elbrecht saideth:

On 26 Oct 2003 15:19:01 -0700, Melissa wrote:

I saw a plant growing in a xeriscape area around early September, that
had very pretty white trumpet shaped flowers that were about 6" long!
They were stunning. The plant also had large irregularly shaped leaves.
It was in northwest Denver. I'm not sure if it was a annual or perennial
but it sort of seemed like a perennial. It was a maybe 3' tall bush.

Here's another photo of a Datura [Stramonium] plant
http://www.channel3000.com/news/1700361/detail.html
[good images of leaves & seedpod at
http://www.ppws.vt.edu/~sforza/weeds/datst.html ]

This one is also called Jimsonweed, or Locoweed. Kids eat the seeds
to get high. . . some die. . . many are hospitalized nearly every
year in this area. [upstate NY] More stats at
http://www.usdoj.gov/ndic/pubs/579/avail.htm

It is a shame because I'd really like to plant some because it is a
very striking plant. The leaves look like oversized oak leaves of a
deep green; the flowers are huge trumpets of white; and the seed pod
is very interesting prickly affair.

The first one I saw was planted in a public garden & disappeared just
as the seed pods became ripe.

The one I saw had curved irregularly shaped leaves, not jagged.

--
Yours In Liberty, Melissa - Colorado, U.S.A.

License plate frame - "Guns Defend Life & Liberty"
http://www.cafeshops.com/melissa_photo.7734333

Individual rights are not subject to public vote; a majority has no right
to vote away the rights of a minority; the political function of rights is
precisely to protect minorities from oppression by majorities ( and the
smallest minority on earth is the individual )." - Ayn Rand

West Denver area - Shaolin-based Martial arts, Rock music, Sci-Fi, Chess,
Libertarian, Objectivist, Chess, RKBA & Shooting.

Old 29-10-2003, 12:02 AM
animaux

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:20:10 GMT, Jim Elbrecht opined:

animaux wrote:

-snip-
I've been growing and collecting datura and brugmansia for a decade. D.inoxia,
D.wrightii are not xeric, they are also not native. D.stramonium is xeric and
native, but it does not have the showy flowers lf .Wrightii and .inoxia.

Are the flowers smaller or just less prolific? [or did I misidentify
what I thought was D.stramonium?]

It's been a few years, but I thought the flowers were pretty
interesting, if not spectacular.

Is the seed pod peculiar to D.stramonium or just the results of
ingesting the seeds?

Jim

All of the daturas have similar seed pods. Some prickly, some smooth. The
D.metel generally has a double flower and a smooth seed pod. D.inoxia,
wrightii, stramonium all have thorny pods.

Stramonium is the least showy of them all. D.wrightii has the largest flower and
as other datura bloom in cycles. After bloom, I remove all dead flowers and
infant seed pods and fertilize. They are heavy feeders in cultivation. They
suffer as much from over watering than they suffer underwatering.
http://www.nativehabitat.com/ (search for datura in their search feature) has a
great array of photos and explanations.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:32 AM
Melissa

[...]

Ok, I took my camera today and got a few photos of it.
http://www.dimensional.com/~melissa/...0plant%202.JPG

--
Yours In Liberty, Melissa - Colorado, U.S.A.
FOR SALE: PARA 1445 LDA with EXTRAS, ALSO LOCAL AMMO:

Old 10-11-2003, 04:22 PM
Josephine Russo

This plant may be Angel Trumpets, the official name being
brugmansia. From seeds that they drop in September, they come
back each year, or from a cutting.

Melissa wrote:
I saw a plant growing in a xeriscape area around early September, that had
very pretty white trumpet shaped flowers that were about 6" long! They were
stunning. The plant also had large irregularly shaped leaves. It was in
northwest Denver. I'm not sure if it was a annual or perennial but it sort of
seemed like a perennial. It was a maybe 3' tall bush.

Does anyone know what it may have been?

Old 10-11-2003, 11:32 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

The official name? Did they win a contest or something?

The names of the two genera commonly called "Angel Trumpet" are Datura and
Brugmansia. Note the first letter of the names of genera is always
capitalized.

hlink.net...

Old 11-11-2003, 03:42 AM
animaux

These are probably Datura, instead of Brugmansia. Brugmansia is not a short
plant. Either way, I doubt these are hardy in Denver, sans seeds falling and
finding their way to germinate once soil warms.

If the flower hangs down, it's Brugmansia, if the flower points upward, it's
Datura.

Victoria

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 16:13:41 GMT, Josephine Russo
opined: