Old 26-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Melissa

Default What is this?

I saw a plant growing in a xeriscape area around early September, that had
very pretty white trumpet shaped flowers that were about 6" long! They were
stunning. The plant also had large irregularly shaped leaves. It was in
northwest Denver. I'm not sure if it was a annual or perennial but it sort of
seemed like a perennial. It was a maybe 3' tall bush.

Does anyone know what it may have been?

--
Yours In Liberty, Melissa - Colorado, U.S.A.

Old 27-10-2003, 12:03 AM
jrstark

Melissa wrote:

I saw a plant growing in a xeriscape area around early September, that had
very pretty white trumpet shaped flowers that were about 6" long! They were
stunning. The plant also had large irregularly shaped leaves. It was in
northwest Denver. I'm not sure if it was a annual or perennial but it sort of
seemed like a perennial. It was a maybe 3' tall bush.

Does anyone know what it may have been?

Do a search on datura inoxia. It's a perennial that grows easily from
seed so acts as an annual in northern areas.

Flowers open at night and only last a day or so, very heavy frangrance.
Known as moonflower (plant, not vine).

Janine

Old 27-10-2003, 01:42 AM
Sed5555

I saw a plant growing in a xeriscape area around early September, that had
very pretty white trumpet shaped flowers that were about 6" long!

Could be datura. It is a good xeric plant, an annual that readily reseeds. Take
a look at this link:
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...als/datura.htm
sed5555

Old 27-10-2003, 01:32 PM
animaux

Datura inoxia, Datura wrightii, or Brugmansia. I haven't found them to be "very
"xeric" and are very heavy feeders. I keep my brugmansia's in huge tubs and
during the growing season I fertilize them twice a week. They need water daily
in Texas, so not very xeric for me, here.

Victoria

On 26 Oct 2003 15:19:01 -0700, Melissa opined:

Old 27-10-2003, 02:32 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Holy Georgia O'Keeffe!!!

You are going to confuse her with so many possibilities!!!

http://www.bgard.sci.kun.nl/48597003.jpg

http://www.bgard.sci.kun.nl/48697005.jpg

Old 27-10-2003, 03:42 PM
Sed5555

Datura inoxia, Datura wrightii, or Brugmansia. I haven't found them to be
"very
"xeric" and are very heavy feeders.

There is a big difference between Datura and Brugmansia. Datura grows wild here
in Colorado out on the plains with no supplemental water or fertilization. It
is a feature in the xeriscape prairie garden at Denver Botanical Gardens where
it also receives no supplemental water or feeding and seems to thrive, even in
our drought.
sed5555

Old 28-10-2003, 01:22 AM
Melissa

jrstark saideth:

Melissa wrote:

I saw a plant growing in a xeriscape area around early September, that
had very pretty white trumpet shaped flowers that were about 6" long!
They were stunning. The plant also had large irregularly shaped leaves.
It was in northwest Denver. I'm not sure if it was a annual or
perennial but it sort of seemed like a perennial. It was a maybe 3'
tall bush.

Does anyone know what it may have been?

Do a search on datura inoxia. It's a perennial that grows easily from
seed so acts as an annual in northern areas.

Flowers open at night and only last a day or so, very heavy frangrance.
Known as moonflower (plant, not vine).

No, these were open in the day and lasted for weeks, and the leaves were
more irregularly shaped. Really odd shaped leaves.

--
Yours In Liberty, Melissa - Colorado, U.S.A.

License plate frame - "Guns Defend Life & Liberty"
http://www.cafeshops.com/melissa_photo.7734333

Individual rights are not subject to public vote; a majority has no right
to vote away the rights of a minority; the political function of rights is
precisely to protect minorities from oppression by majorities ( and the
smallest minority on earth is the individual )." - Ayn Rand

West Denver area - Shaolin-based Martial arts, Rock music, Sci-Fi, Chess,
Libertarian, Objectivist, Chess, RKBA & Shooting.

Old 28-10-2003, 01:32 AM
Melissa

(Sed5555) saideth:

http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...als/datura.htm

From what I can tell, the flowers on this one I saw were much longer. The
white part of the flower itself seemed to be about 7" long. Big long white
trumpet shaped flowers.

Old 28-10-2003, 01:32 AM
Melissa

"Cereoid-UR12-" saideth:

Datura?

IIRC wasn't that what Carlos Casteneda wrote about? Is it the same as
Jimson Weed? I don't remember after all these years.

Old 28-10-2003, 02:32 AM
Jim Elbrecht

On 26 Oct 2003 15:19:01 -0700, Melissa wrote:

I saw a plant growing in a xeriscape area around early September, that had
very pretty white trumpet shaped flowers that were about 6" long! They were
stunning. The plant also had large irregularly shaped leaves. It was in
northwest Denver. I'm not sure if it was a annual or perennial but it sort of
seemed like a perennial. It was a maybe 3' tall bush.

Here's another photo of a Datura [Stramonium] plant
http://www.channel3000.com/news/1700361/detail.html
[good images of leaves & seedpod at
http://www.ppws.vt.edu/~sforza/weeds/datst.html ]

This one is also called Jimsonweed, or Locoweed. Kids eat the seeds
to get high. . . some die. . . many are hospitalized nearly every
year in this area. [upstate NY] More stats at
http://www.usdoj.gov/ndic/pubs/579/avail.htm

It is a shame because I'd really like to plant some because it is a
very striking plant. The leaves look like oversized oak leaves of a
deep green; the flowers are huge trumpets of white; and the seed pod
is very interesting prickly affair.

The first one I saw was planted in a public garden & disappeared just
as the seed pods became ripe.

Jim

Old 28-10-2003, 05:02 AM
jrstark

Melissa wrote:
"Cereoid-UR12-" saideth:

Datura?

IIRC wasn't that what Carlos Casteneda wrote about? Is it the same as
Jimson Weed? I don't remember after all these years.

Jimson Weed is the wild version, it is a smaller plant with smaller
flowers. Cultivated daturas are larger and bloom like crazy. Each
individual flower only lasts a day or two, but the bush is full of
flowers for a long time.

Janine

Old 28-10-2003, 05:02 AM
jrstark

Melissa wrote:

jrstark saideth:

Melissa wrote:

I saw a plant growing in a xeriscape area around early September, that
had very pretty white trumpet shaped flowers that were about 6" long!
They were stunning. The plant also had large irregularly shaped leaves.
It was in northwest Denver. I'm not sure if it was a annual or
perennial but it sort of seemed like a perennial. It was a maybe 3'
tall bush.

Does anyone know what it may have been?

Do a search on datura inoxia. It's a perennial that grows easily from
seed so acts as an annual in northern areas.

Flowers open at night and only last a day or so, very heavy frangrance.
Known as moonflower (plant, not vine).

No, these were open in the day and lasted for weeks, and the leaves were
more irregularly shaped. Really odd shaped leaves.

Each individual flower only lasts a day or two. They don't really
reclose once they open, so are still open during the day. The bush
itself blooms forever once it starts.

The buds look like wrapped satin curtains, you can almost watch them
unfurl when they start opening.

Janine

Old 28-10-2003, 01:32 PM
animaux

She painted vagina's, masked as daturas!

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:28:15 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"
opined:

Holy Georgia O'Keeffe!!!

You are going to confuse her with so many possibilities!!!

http://www.bgard.sci.kun.nl/48597003.jpg

http://www.bgard.sci.kun.nl/48697005.jpg

.. .