Old 28-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Doug

Default Anemones growing in Oct!

Hi,
I've got some anemones "The Governor" in pots. They bloomed in late spring
and died off. I was planning on digging them and storing them over the
winter but...Now, they're growing again!! Even if I don't dig them I would
overwinter the pots in my garage so they don't freeze solid. How will this
new growth affect their winter survival here in NJ? This was my first year
growing them so I don't have any experience with them.

Thanks,
Doug

Old 28-10-2003, 07:32 PM
brianflay

The 'Governor' is one of the scarlet varieties of the St. Brigid form of
A.coronaria 'De Caen' anemones and with correct conditions can flower at any
time of the year. They are reasonably able to withstand frosts and still
continue to flower. These could be longer lasting than those in the spring.
Use as cut flowers and pick well before opening.Commercially they are grown
for their Autumn flowers and continue for months. These are normally planted
as small corms in June/July. Keep sheltered and after flowering prepare to
discard as they are seldom worth retaining. Keep the pots outside as long
as possible. Best wishes.
"Doug" wrote in message
t...
Hi,
I've got some anemones "The Governor" in pots. They bloomed in late

spring
and died off. I was planning on digging them and storing them over the
winter but...Now, they're growing again!! Even if I don't dig them I would
overwinter the pots in my garage so they don't freeze solid. How will this
new growth affect their winter survival here in NJ? This was my first year
growing them so I don't have any experience with them.

Thanks,
Doug

[IMG] code is On

What is this growing in my garden? picture 2 S_edge 15th Oct 2009 growing in my garden 02 S_edge.JPG [2/2] swordedge[_3_] Garden Photos 0 15-10-2009 10:47 AM
What is this growing in my garden? picture 2 S_edge 15th Oct 2009 growing in my garden 02 S_edge.JPG [1/2] swordedge[_3_] Garden Photos 0 15-10-2009 10:47 AM
anemones Stuart Noble United Kingdom 2 06-12-2007 09:17 AM
PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Anemones (Flowers) Jack Schmidling[_1_] Gardening 0 24-05-2007 05:21 AM
Japanese anemones Sacha United Kingdom 12 20-07-2006 11:48 AM