Old 19-07-2006, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Japanese anemones

They're just starting to open. I'm sure this is earlier than usual!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 19-07-2006, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Sacha wrote:
They're just starting to open. I'm sure this is earlier than usual!

Well you certainly beat me to it! I was talking about them this
morning. I just can't wait. Tired of seeing the lychnis ... But check
my link below. These are the 'hairy allium'. They are ridiculous )

http://cjoint.com/?htq6T1dmgJ

Old 19-07-2006, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Sacha wrote:
Interesting but a bit too triffidy for me.

)

What is your favourite flower. I know it's hard, but of all of them
which one do you prefer.

Old 19-07-2006, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian

"Sacha" wrote in message
They're just starting to open. I'm sure this is earlier than usual!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(email address on website)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They seem to be very variable~~ related to weather and location. This
time last year[earlier] I holidayed in Shropshire and their border was full
of blown and flowering anemones. Mine at home were still in tight bud.
Everything in Shropshire always seems more colourful and healthy than
elsewhere. Roses especially so. Even their early potatoes were being
harvested as certified seed~~new to me as I had thought this was Scotland's
preserve!
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 19-07-2006, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Sacha" wrote in message
They're just starting to open. I'm sure this is earlier than usual!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(email address on website)

They are not my favourite flower but they do offer a colourful display for
late season flowing. I too noticed that they appear to be very early,
although not in flower yet, as are all the other things I grow which I
would not expect to flower towards the end of August. Suppose it's just a
follow on from the other weird seasons.

Old 20-07-2006, 12:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kristina

Sacha wrote:
They're just starting to open. I'm sure this is earlier than usual!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(email address on website)

Funny you should mention Japanese anemones. I just noticed our first
one in bloom today - and we're north of Inverness! I'll try to take a
photograph tomorrow and add it to our website Garden Diary.

Kristina
on the Black Isle
www.spanglefish.com/OldOrchard/

Old 20-07-2006, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

However, we couldn't describe the SW as being in
drought conditions - dry at present, yes but not drought. We were talking
about this last night and I think a drought is officially a period of

three
weeks without rain but I could be wrong. Anyone know?
--
Sacha

South Devon
(email address on website)

Hope the following helps

Drought is a normal, recurrent feature of climate. It occurs almost
everywhere, although its features vary from region to region. Defining
drought is therefore difficult; it depends on differences in regions, needs,
and disciplinary perspectives. Based on the many definitions that have
appeared in the literature, for example, we might define drought in Libya as
occurring when annual rainfall is less than 180 mm, but in Bali, drought
might be considered to occur after a period of only 6 days without rain! In
the most general sense, drought originates from a deficiency of
precipitation over an extended period of time, resulting in a water shortage
for some activity, group, or environmental sector. Whatever the definition,
it is clear that drought cannot be viewed solely as a physical phenomenon.

Understanding and Defining Drought
A discussion of the concept and definition of drought.
Drought Indices
An analysis and discussion of 8 drought indices, also available as a pdf.
Predicting Drought
The multiple causes of drought and their use in drought prediction.
Drought and Climate Change
A short history of the Greenhouse Effect and climate change.
Other Resources
Resources on El Nino and Climate Change
Fortunately, many people are working to plan for drought. Drought planning
is a process that focuses on enhancing our abilities to monitor drought,
understand our changing drought vulnerabilities, and mitigate drought. By
proactively planning for drought, society will be better prepared and able
to deal with the damaging effects of drought in the most fair and efficient
manner possible.

© 2006 National Drought Mitigation Center

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 20-07-2006, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

AND ....

Definitions of drought on the Web:

a shortage of rainfall; "farmers most affected by the drought hope that
there may yet be sufficient rain early in the growing season"
a prolonged shortage; "when England defeated Pakistan it ended a ten-year
drought"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

A drought is an extended period where water availability falls below the
statistical requirements for a region. Drought is not a purely physical
phenomenon, but instead is an interplay between natural water availability
and human demands for water supply.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drought

A "drought" in sports refers to instances in which a team has gone a lengthy
period of time without accomplishing some goal - eg. making the playoffs,
winning a championship, etc. Droughts occur for a variety of reasons, from
chronic mismanagement to bad luck. Some fans believe that their team's
drought is the result of a curse. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drought_(sport)

a prolonged period of dryness that can cause damage to plants.
www.homesteadharvest.com/glossaryad.html

A period of abnormally dry weather sufficiently long enough to cause serious
effects on agriculture and other activities in the affected area.
www.wrcc.dri.edu/ams/glossary.html

A prolonged period of below-average precipitation.
www.mwdoc.com/glossary.htm

a long period with little or no rainfall
tilz.tearfund.org/Publications/PILLARS/Preparing+for+disaster/PILLARS+Disast
er+Glossary.htm

Drought is a deficiency of moisture that results in adverse impacts on
people, animals, or vegetation over a sizeable area. NOAA together with its
partners provides short- and long-term Drought Assessments.
weather.ncbuy.com/glossary.html

A period of abnormally dry weather sufficiently prolonged from the lack of
precipitation to cause a serious hydrologic imbalance.
http://www.srh.weather.gov/srh/jetst...glossary_d.htm

Prolonged and abnormal shortage of water caused by lack of rainfall.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/weather...ossary/d.shtml

less rainfall than is expected over an extended period of time, usually
several months or longer. Or, more formally, it is a deficiency of rainfall
over a period of time, resulting in a water shortage for some activity,
group, or environmental sector.
www.drought.unl.edu/kids/glossary.htm

An extended period of unusually low rainfall
www.planetpals.com/ecodictionary.html

There is no definitive definition of drought based on measurable processes;
scientists evaluate precipitation, temperature, and soil moisture data for
the present and recent past to determine drought status. Very generally, it
refers to a period of time when precipitation levels are low, impacting
agriculture, water supply, and wildfire hazard.
http://www.ispe.arizona.edu/climas/f.../glossary.html

An extended period of dry weather that lasts longer than expected or than
normal, and leads to measurable losses, such as crop damage or water supply
shortages.
www.spaceforspecies.ca/glossary/d.htm

Lack of rainfall. Crops such as maize and beans cannot grow well when there
is drought.
www.usd.edu/anth/crow/ccvocab.html

Long periods without any rain.
www.climatechangenorth.ca/H1_Glossary.html

A period of lower-than-normal precipitation that can lead to a water
shortage.
www.lvwater.org/water_words.asp

a deficiency of precipitation from expected or normal that, when extended
over a season or longer period of time, is insufficient to meet the demands
of human activities and the environment
www.hprcc.unl.edu/clearinghouse/glossary.html

a water supply shortage for a certain use; a quantity or amount less than
what is demanded
http://www.mvm.usace.army.mil/grandp...ry/default.asp

A prolonged period with very little or no rain
www.rcn27.dial.pipex.com/cloudsrus/glossary.html

Phenomenon that exists when precipitation has been significantly below
normal recorded levels, causing serious hydrological imbalances that
adversely affect land resource production systems.
http://www.grid.unep.ch/product/publ...urope/glos.php

Abnormally dry weather in a region over an extended period sufficient to
cause a serious hydrological (water cycle) imbalance in the affected area.
This can cause such problems as crop damage and water-supply shortage. Dry
Adiabat - A line of constant potential temperature on a thermodynamic chart.
www.meted.ucar.edu/hazwx/glossary.htm

(Sometimes spelled drouth.) A period of abnormally dry weather sufficiently
long enough to cause a serious hydrological imbalance. Drought is a relative
term, therefore any discussion in terms of precipitation deficit must refer
to the particular precipitation-related activity that is under discussion.
amsglossary.allenpress.com/glossary/browse

An extended period with below average precipitation.
www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/crops/04717.html

A long period of unusually low rainfall resulting in parched ground and
abnormal withering of vegetation. A drought is defined arbitrarily to suit
the region. For example: a period of 4 months without rain would be regarded
as a drought only if people were unprepared for it and it was not normal.
However, in a desert region, a drought might be considered a succession of
unusually dry years. From most perspectives drought is the norm on the
prairies of North America.
www.abheritage.ca/abnature/glossary.htm

Drought is a condition of moisture deficit sufficient to have an adverse
effect on vegetation, animals, and man over a sizeable area. Other sources
for definitions of drought a http://md.water.usgs.gov/drought/define.html
http://enso.unl.edu/ndmc/enigma/def2.htm
ks.water.usgs.gov/Kansas/waterwatch/drought/definition.html

A period of time when precipitation is well below normal.
imnh.isu.edu/digitalatlas/glossary/letter.asp

A shortage of moisture severe enough to have a negative effect on
vegetation, animals and humans over a large geographic area.
www.opb.org/programs/oregonstory/water/glossary/

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 20-07-2006, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

and

drought, abnormally long period of insufficient rainfall. Drought cannot be
defined in terms of inches of rainfall or number of days without rain, since
it is determined by such variable factors as the distribution in time and
area of precipitation during and before the dry period. Since ancient times
droughts have had far-reaching effects on humankind by causing the failure
of crops, decreasing natural vegetation, and depleting water supplies.
Livestock and wildlife, as well as humans, die of thirst and famine; large
land areas often suffer damage from dust storms or fire. Drought is thought
by some to have caused migrations of early humans. In India and China
drought has periodically brought widespread privation and death. In 1930
lack of rainfall devastated the Great Plains of the United States; called
the Dust Bowl, its area spread to alarming dimensions (about 50 million
acres). During 1962 much of the eastern part of the U.S. experienced the
worst drought in more than 50 years; more recent severe droughts have
afflicted countries in many parts of Africa. Clearcutting of trees for
firewood, overgrazing, and overcultivation, which lead to land degredation,
contribute to this drought cycle.

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 20-07-2006, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Sacha wrote:
I just can't pick one. We've had threads on that sort of theme before but
for me, it's impossible to choose. I like some of the very exotic and bit
rare things but equally, I love really simple things like Shasta daisies and
wallflowers.

It is indeed a hard thing to decide. But I prefer wild flowers than
exotic - I crumble in front of a scabiosa caucasia, ochroleuca, 'Grand
Stone' ones and especially the Burgundy Bonnets )

Japanese Anemones Grenou[_2_] Garden Photos 4 22-09-2013 07:59 PM
Pink Japanese Anemones Plum United Kingdom 1 04-05-2010 02:53 PM
anemones Stuart Noble United Kingdom 2 06-12-2007 09:17 AM
PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Anemones (Flowers) Jack Schmidling[_1_] Gardening 0 24-05-2007 05:21 AM
Anemones growing in Oct! Doug Gardening 1 28-10-2003 07:32 PM