Old 31-10-2003, 02:02 AM
B & J

Default Salvia guaranitica

I have a salvia guaranitica, variety unknown, that grows between 4' - 5'
tall, has bright blue blossoms that begins in June and continues throughout
the summer. I have grown it for the past four years in zone 6 with no
special winter protection. It's a fantastic hummingbird magnet.

About six weeks ago I was given some cuttings from another variety of salvia
guaranitica 'Purple Majesty', which have since rooted and is now growing
well. I realize it's too tender to go outside this winter, but does anyone
have any experience growing it outside in zone 6 once the plant is well
established? I was given the cuttings because the person with the original
plant wasn't sure it would survive.

BTW, I found that salvia leucantha survives the winter easily in zone 6 if
grown in soil that is well drained - in other words, a raised bed that
contains a healthy mixture of sand in the soil.

John