Old 19-11-2003, 12:42 AM
Bernard Golden

Default Morning Glory

I love Morning Glories. Our local parks (we're located in Silicon Valley)
have them trained up fences and they seem to be perennial. However, I have
grown some and they have now died off. I would like to have a permanent
growth of them on a trellis.

Are there particular varieties that are perennial?

TIA

Bernard Golden

Old 19-11-2003, 01:12 AM
Tom J

"Bernard Golden" wrote in message
om...
I love Morning Glories. Our local parks (we're located in Silicon Valley)
have them trained up fences and they seem to be perennial. However, I have
grown some and they have now died off. I would like to have a permanent
growth of them on a trellis.

Are there particular varieties that are perennial?

I wish you lived up the road from me in GA, so I could just throw some vines
in your direction. You wouldn't have to plant them, just stay out of the way
so you didn't get tangled in them.

Tom J
who hates morning glory as much as trumpet vine, but not as much as kudzu

Old 19-11-2003, 01:22 AM
Shell91

"Tom J" wrote in message

"Bernard Golden" wrote in message
om...
I love Morning Glories. Our local parks (we're located in Silicon

Valley)
have them trained up fences and they seem to be perennial. However, I

have
grown some and they have now died off. I would like to have a permanent
growth of them on a trellis.

Are there particular varieties that are perennial?

I wish you lived up the road from me in GA, so I could just throw some

vines
in your direction. You wouldn't have to plant them, just stay out of the

way
so you didn't get tangled in them.

Tom J
who hates morning glory as much as trumpet vine, but not as much as kudzu

Kudzu is a beautiful plant as long as someone else has to deal with it.
I remember seeing it covering telephone poles and wires for miles when we
would go visit relatives near Chatanooga. Just thinking of all the bugs
living in it creeps me out

We have a wild morning glory type wildflower here called bindweed. Lovely
small pinkish purple flowers.

I would rather deal with trumpet vine than wisteria, creeping fig (like
every house around here has on the walls) or english ivy when it has found a
comfortable spot.

Shell

Old 19-11-2003, 02:02 AM
Tom J

"Shell91" wrote in message
m...

I would rather deal with trumpet vine than wisteria, creeping fig (like
every house around here has on the walls) or english ivy when it has found a
comfortable spot.

I absolutely set my foot down and wouldn't allow wisteria anywhere near my
property, even with wifey saying "but it's so beautiful in the spring".
I really just don't like VINES, also including passion plant (May Pop), ivy of
any kind from poison oak, poison ivy to English ivy, jasmine etc

After 20 years I think I have the morning glory down to about a 10' area, the
English ivy and poison ivy both are still sprouting up over the entire place
and the trumpet vine was still trying to put up new runners over about 20'
this past year. The only thing I have managed to completely eradicate is the
may pop and jasmine.

Tom J

Old 19-11-2003, 03:02 AM
J Kolenovsky

Tom, Maypop - Passion Vine (Passiflora). Why did you eradicate a
butterfly larval and host plant?

J - a habitat gardener
http://www.celestialhabitats.com

Tom J wrote:

=

[...]

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal

Old 19-11-2003, 01:42 PM
animaux

Yes, and I have it. I don't know the botanical name, but it is perennial. It
is not evergreen, but it comes back every year. I can send you some if you pay
postage. It flowers spring through frost a beautiful, large, blue bell.

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 00:32:54 GMT, "Bernard Golden" opined:

Old 19-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Trish Kargman

I also love morning glories. In many temperate zones they are banned as
invasive because they don't die back. In my zone 5 they act as an annual.

Old 21-11-2003, 01:42 PM
Tom J

"J Kolenovsky" wrote in message
Tom, Maypop - Passion Vine (Passiflora). Why did you eradicate a
butterfly larval and host plant?

The roots were running all through my garden and sending up new runners
everywhere, just like every other vine plant does here where I live in GA

Tom J

Old 25-11-2003, 12:22 PM
Tom J

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

There is such a hue and cry about invasives these days (and rightly so, in
many situations) but it is important not to tar all plants with the same
brush. Common names are extremely misleading, as many plants with widely
different habits can be included under the same common name. And not all
invasives will act the same in different climates and locations - invasives
are VERY regional in nature and it is important to make that note when
referring to them.

okay, off my soap box now :-))

pam - gardengal

That's what the nursery told my wife about the trumpet vine she brought home,
that it was not invasive in our location and would stay put. NOT!! I don't do
vines of any name, horticultural or otherwise, anymore

Tom J
north of Atlanta GA and still trying to eradicate that vine after 5 years

Old 26-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Trish Kargman" wrote in message
news
I also love morning glories. In many temperate zones they are banned as
invasive because they don't die back. In my zone 5 they act as an annual.

Only certain species of morning glory are invasive, primarily those referred
to as bindweed, Convolvulus arvensis and Calystegia sepium, and are widely
naturalized throughout most of North America. Most of the others are
tropical in origin and act as annuals and are very well-behaved garden
vines. A few are more perennial but only in warmer zones.

Old 26-11-2003, 05:05 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Tom J" wrote in message

[...]

Tom, there is a world of difference between "aggressive" and "invasive". An
invasive plant is typically an exotic that has naturalized itself to the
extent that it will out-compete native species for space, moisture and
nutrients and generally one that will self-seed with abandon. An aggressive
plant is one that exhibits thuggish behavior - spreading rampantly
throughout the garden or in the case of the trumpet vine, sending up shoots
at considerable distance from the mother plant - but typically does not
self-seed prolifically or spread outside the garden to native areas.

FWIW, there are many vines that are extremely well-behaved garden
inhabitants - clematis probably top the list, but even some of those can be
invasive AND aggressive as well IN THE PROPER SITUATION. It is merely a
matter of choosing the correct plant for the correct situation and knowing
its habits. And I have been attempting to rid my garden of trumpet vine for
several years as well. While my resident hummer loved it, I did not
appreciate it popping up wherever it felt like, even through the pavers of
my patio!

pam - gardengal

Old 26-11-2003, 05:22 PM
Starlord

And where I live ( High Mojave Desert ) there is no such thing as an invasive
plant out here, it the summer dry heat doesn't kill it, the cold sometimes
freezing winter will. Or lack of water too.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop

[...]