Old 24-11-2003, 09:41 PM
Spellcheck

Default 30 year old seeds

I didn't say to turn it loose on the environment. I was assuming that
whatever this was was going to be a potted plant.

~Shelly~

A "particularly beautifully foliaged bush" from the Mekong in '73 is
probably a POT plant, not a POTTED plant.

- Spellcheck

Old 24-11-2003, 09:48 PM
David Hill

"...........Try the effect of prickly pear in Australia, Giant Hogweed in
the UK, & many other examples ........"

Yet you happily sent a "Bush" that has invasive tendencies over to the UK
last week.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 25-11-2003, 02:12 PM
Harvey

"Shell" wrote in message
y.com...
The release of kudzu was in the 30's during the depression. The idea was

give farmers something to grow. Kudzu is edible and aparently nutritious
but people did not like the taste of it and the attempt at using it for a
food crop failed. It then naturalised and took over

What on earth do you *eat*?
Seems to be extremely wirey tough climber; does it have an edible rruit or
what?

H.

Old 25-11-2003, 02:42 PM
cat daddy

"Harvey" wrote in message

"Shell" wrote in message
y.com...
The release of kudzu was in the 30's during the depression. The idea

was
give farmers something to grow. Kudzu is edible and aparently

nutritious
but people did not like the taste of it and the attempt at using it for

food crop failed. It then naturalised and took over

What on earth do you *eat*?
Seems to be extremely wirey tough climber; does it have an edible rruit or
what?

The Amazing Story of Kudzu
http://www.cptr.ua.edu/kudzu/

"Kudzu was introduced to the United States in 1876 at the Centennial
Exposition in Philadelphia"

"Florida nursery operators, Charles and Lillie Pleas, discovered that
animals would eat the plant and promoted its use for forage in the 1920s."

"During the Great Depression of the 1930s, the Soil Conservation Service
promoted kudzu for erosion control."

"Kudzu's most vocal advocate was Channing Cope of Covington, Georgia who
promoted use of the vine to control erosion. During the 1940s, he traveled
across the southeast starting Kudzu Clubs to honor what he called "the
miracle vine."

"Edith Edwards makes deep-fried kudzu leaves, kudzu quiche, and many
other kudzu dishes. She found recipes in The Book of Kudzu: A Culinary and
Healing Guide by William Shurtleff and Akiko Aoyagi."

"In China and Japan, ground kudzu root (called kuzu) has been a common
ingredient in foods and medications for centuries."

Old 25-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Harvey

"cat daddy" wrote in message

"Harvey" wrote in message

"Shell" wrote in message
y.com...
The release of kudzu was in the 30's during the depression. The idea

was
give farmers something to grow. Kudzu is edible and aparently

nutritious
but people did not like the taste of it and the attempt at using it

for
food crop failed. It then naturalised and took over

What on earth do you *eat*?
Seems to be extremely wirey tough climber; does it have an edible rruit

or
what?

The Amazing Story of Kudzu
http://www.cptr.ua.edu/kudzu/

"Kudzu was introduced to the United States in 1876 at the Centennial
Exposition in Philadelphia"

Etc........................

Many thanks, an interesting web site.
As far as I was concerned Kudzu was a wirey thorned vine which you see
*everywhere* hiking & can be a real pest.
I had no idea of its wider possible applications.
Though Im not surprised goats eat it; they eat ANYTHING. I had a friend who
swore there was a herd in Khartoum which lived solely on empty cement sacks,
& Ive seen them 8 to 10 feet up in thorn trees; just how you climb trees
with cloven hooves I'll never know!

H.

Old 25-11-2003, 04:42 PM
cat daddy

"Harvey" wrote in message

"cat daddy" wrote in message

"Harvey" wrote in message

"Shell" wrote in message
[...]

I haven't been through the Deep South since the 80's, but I do recall
seeing the vines as attractive until I realized what they were doing to the
native species. I had no idea they had pretty, fragrant blooms, either.
Here are some photos of what they do............
Kudzu-The Vine
http://www.jjanthony.com/kudzu/

Old 27-11-2003, 05:04 PM
Salty Thumb

"David Hill" wrote in news:bptt3j
:

"...........Try the effect of prickly pear in Australia, Giant Hogweed in
the UK, & many other examples ........"

Yet you happily sent a "Bush" that has invasive tendencies over to the UK
last week.

hey, don't blame all of us. that bush and it's relatives overran Florida
and then overran this country and a couple of others.

couldn't do a damn thing about it. maybe we can cut it next fall.
Old 28-11-2003, 02:02 PM

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 17:01:01 GMT, Salty Thumb
wrote:
"David Hill" wrote in news:bptt3j
:
"...........Try the effect of prickly pear in Australia, Giant Hogweed in
the UK, & many other examples ........"

Yet you happily sent a "Bush" that has invasive tendencies over to the UK
last week.

hey, don't blame all of us. that bush and it's relatives overran Florida
and then overran this country and a couple of others.
couldn't do a damn thing about it. maybe we can cut it next fall.

Its very usefully for cutting down on erosion.

Swyck

Old 28-11-2003, 11:08 PM
David Hill

".............. Yet you happily sent a "Bush" that has invasive tendencies
over to the UK last week.

hey, don't blame all of us. that bush and it's relatives overran Florida
and then overran this country and a couple of others.
couldn't do a damn thing about it. maybe we can cut it next fall.
Its very usefully for cutting down on erosion .........."

But to do that you need a large number of people who can count without using
their fingers and who don't have to watch their backs the whole
time.....don't you?

As for the erosion, I would have thought that there were many fields with
massive erosion from that "Bush"

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries