Old 24-11-2003, 06:02 AM
Lynn Coffelt

Default 30 year old seeds

Ok, I do tend to procrastinate a little, but near the Mekong in 1973 I
gathered some seeds of a particularly beautifully foliaged bush. They have
been neglected in my shaving kit all these years.

Is there any hope? I've got a very small greenhouse and a seed starting mat
from Charlie's Greenhouse. Is it worth a try, or are seeds that old better
in the compost heap?

Old Chief Lynn

Old 24-11-2003, 06:44 AM
hermine stover

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 06:01:07 GMT, "Lynn Coffelt"
wrote:

Ok, I do tend to procrastinate a little, but near the Mekong in 1973 I
gathered some seeds of a particularly beautifully foliaged bush. They have
been neglected in my shaving kit all these years.

Is there any hope? I've got a very small greenhouse and a seed starting mat
from Charlie's Greenhouse. Is it worth a try, or are seeds that old better
in the compost heap?

Old Chief Lynn

It cannot hurt to try. seed collected at archaeological digs have
germinated, i forgot the exact numbers, but some kind of aquatic
flowering plant was featured decades ago in the National Georgraphic,
grown from seed collected in an Egyptian tomb from the pharaonic
period. i would soak these well, and do all the things to goose
germination, bottom heat and all that good stuff.

hermine
Old 24-11-2003, 08:24 AM
~Shelly~

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in message
news8hwb.220744$ao4.796437@attbi_s51...
Ok, I do tend to procrastinate a little, but near the Mekong in 1973

gathered some seeds of a particularly beautifully foliaged bush.

They have
been neglected in my shaving kit all these years.

Please try! Any good that can come of this is very welcome. Also,
it's interesting, and can't hurt. Please let us know how it goes.

~Shelly~

Old 24-11-2003, 10:42 AM
Harvey

"~Shelly~" wrote in message

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in message
news8hwb.220744$ao4.796437@attbi_s51...
Ok, I do tend to procrastinate a little, but near the Mekong in 1973

gathered some seeds of a particularly beautifully foliaged bush.

They have
been neglected in my shaving kit all these years.

Please try! Any good that can come of this is very welcome. Also,
it's interesting, and can't hurt. Please let us know how it goes.

~Shelly~

Cant hurt?
I see Kudzu everywhere I hike in the USA these days...........

H.

Old 24-11-2003, 01:43 PM
madgardener

wrote:

Ok, I do tend to procrastinate a little, but near the Mekong in 1973 I
gathered some seeds of a particularly beautifully foliaged bush. They have
been neglected in my shaving kit all these years.

Is there any hope? I've got a very small greenhouse and a seed starting mat
from Charlie's Greenhouse. Is it worth a try, or are seeds that old better
in the compost heap?

Old Chief Lynn

I'd say give it a whirl and let us know how it goes. Just think, if
you have 50 seeds and only three germinate and two survive to grow
into bushes, you'll have something unique and special. Good
germinating to you. Keep us informed!!
madgardener who has no idea why kudzu has anything to do with what
you're wanting to do here...............................

Old 24-11-2003, 02:22 PM
David Hill

"...........Ok, I do tend to procrastinate a little, but near the Mekong in
1973 I gathered some seeds of a particularly beautifully foliaged bush. They
have been neglected in my shaving kit all these years. ........"

I did the same many years ago in Africa and found them over 20 years later,
sowed them all in the hopes that 1 might come through and the lot grew, but
lost them in an early frost...just wish I had kept some back.
I'd always say sow, and leave them for a year or so before dumping, after
all what is the space taken by a pot against the chance they'll grow.
Good luck.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 24-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Harvey

wrote:

Ok, I do tend to procrastinate a little, but near the Mekong in 1973 I
gathered some seeds of a particularly beautifully foliaged bush. They

have
been neglected in my shaving kit all these years.

Is there any hope? I've got a very small greenhouse and a seed starting

mat
from Charlie's Greenhouse. Is it worth a try, or are seeds that old

better
in the compost heap?

Old Chief Lynn

I'd say give it a whirl and let us know how it goes. Just think, if
you have 50 seeds and only three germinate and two survive to grow
into bushes, you'll have something unique and special. Good
germinating to you. Keep us informed!!
madgardener who has no idea why kudzu has anything to do with what
you're wanting to do here...............................

Kudzu (I think I have the name right? - spiny climber?) is a result of the
unconsidered release of an alien species into the environment.
Try the effect of prickly pear in Australia, Giant Hogweed in the UK, & many
other examples.
Look at the customs declarations you sign going into most reasonably
'isolated' countries, & the paperwork when importing many alien species not
already known in cultivation.

In reality I agree the risk is probably very small, especially if it came
from the Mekong delta, (I guess there are areas in the SE USA where it might
survive though?) but the risk in general is not zero as someone suggested.

H.

Old 24-11-2003, 03:12 PM

lotus seeds. or papyrus. Ingrid

hermine stover wrote:
, but some kind of aquatic
flowering plant was featured decades ago in the National Georgraphic,
grown from seed collected in an Egyptian tomb from the pharaonic
period. i would soak these well, and do all the things to goose
germination, bottom heat and all that good stuff.

hermine

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 24-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Shell

The release of kudzu was in the 30's during the depression. The idea was to
give farmers something to grow. Kudzu is edible and aparently nutritious
but people did not like the taste of it and the attempt at using it for a
food crop failed. It then naturalised and took over

Shell

Old 24-11-2003, 04:02 PM
Starlord

They grew 1,000 year old corn (maze) seeds.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Ad World
http://adworld.netfirms.com

wrote:

Ok, I do tend to procrastinate a little, but near the Mekong in 1973 I
gathered some seeds of a particularly beautifully foliaged bush. They have
been neglected in my shaving kit all these years.

Is there any hope? I've got a very small greenhouse and a seed starting mat
from Charlie's Greenhouse. Is it worth a try, or are seeds that old better
in the compost heap?

Old Chief Lynn

I'd say give it a whirl and let us know how it goes. Just think, if
you have 50 seeds and only three germinate and two survive to grow
into bushes, you'll have something unique and special. Good
germinating to you. Keep us informed!!
madgardener who has no idea why kudzu has anything to do with what
you're wanting to do here...............................

---

Old 24-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Zemedelec

Good luck! Just don't let it outside and become the New Kudzu.
zemedelec
Old 24-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Lynn Coffelt

Thanks for the encouragement (and the warnings). The seeds will be given a
little TLC and I will report back in....... well, as soon as something
happens. Or doesn't happen.

Old Chief Lynn

Old 24-11-2003, 06:02 PM
~Shelly~

"Harvey" wrote in message
Cant hurt?
I see Kudzu everywhere I hike in the USA these days...........

I didn't say to turn it loose on the environment. I was assuming that
whatever this was was going to be a potted plant.

~Shelly~

Old 24-11-2003, 06:12 PM
hermine stover

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:13:00 GMT, wrote:

lotus seeds. or papyrus. Ingrid

Yes, i remember the picture of the lotus flower.

hermine
Old 24-11-2003, 09:37 PM
David Hill

"...........Try the effect of prickly pear in Australia, Giant Hogweed in
the UK, & many other examples ........"

Yet you happily sent a "Bush" that has invasive tendencies over to the UK
last week.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries