Old 24-11-2003, 06:12 PM
Broomhilda

Default Southern Shrub

There is a shrub that grows at least from North Carolina to mid-Florida. It
grows 4-5 feet tall. Has plumy white flowers and is in bloom now. I know
this is a very brief description but I have not had a chance to see it up
close.

Someone in NC said it was Queen Anne's Lace but, although it may be a local
name for it, it is not what is commonly called Queen Anne's Lace. Queen
Anne's
ferny leaves, smells like a carrot when the stem is broken and is definitely
not a shrub.

Can anyone tell me what this particular shrub is?

Pixi

Old 24-11-2003, 07:24 PM
animaux

Not sure what you mean by "plumy," but it is possible it's deadly hemlock.

http://caltest.nbc.upenn.edu/poison/plants/pppoiso.htm

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 18:03:21 GMT, "Broomhilda"
opined:

Old 25-11-2003, 05:12 PM
MLEBLANCA

In article .net,
"Broomhilda" writes:

There is a shrub that grows at least from North Carolina to mid-Florida. It
grows 4-5 feet tall. Has plumy white flowers and is in bloom now. I know
this is a very brief description but I have not had a chance to see it up
close.

Pixi
Is this a plant growing in the wild?, If so whe fields, meadow, mountains,
woods, creeks????
Describe "plumy" wide at the bottom with a narrow pointed tip?
rounded cluster?
Are you sure this is not a seed head rather than flowers?
Leaves?
Stems coming from ground with little branching or many branches?

some late blooming things that came to mind:
Eupatorium
Heracleum (cow parsnip)
Melilotus (white sweet clover)

Try to get a closer look and it would help

Emilie
Norcal
Old 25-11-2003, 11:22 PM
Broomhilda

"MLEBLANCA" wrote in message
In article .net,
"Broomhilda" writes:

Sorry!! My description was prettty bad. This is a shrub that grows wild

in fields, along road sides. Where it's dry or damp.

Here in Florida there is a large field next to us with dozens of them so I
got a closer look. The flowers are white, five petals, with a yellow
center. They are about an inch wide. The flowers grow at the end of twigs
or branches and dozens of them are all bunched up which is why I said they
looked plumy.

The flowers are bunched like the tiny flowers on lilacs but as a "plume" of
lilac comes to a point at the end, these are "plumes" of flowers are more
rounded.

If I can get across the stream to where they are growing I will break off a
branch and take it to the Agriculture people here. Hopefully they will know
what it is.
I saw one growing in a garden a couple of streets away and will try to find
out if they know what they are.

They are very beautiful. On our way down it seemed that the further south
we came the lovelier they were.

[...]

[IMG] code is On

What is this shrub? (Southern California) GARY Gardening 0 20-10-2006 04:30 AM
New Koi hang out in Southern California for me. Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 4 27-03-2003 01:56 AM
Southern Magnolias Paul Gardening 3 24-03-2003 06:32 AM
Southern Living jammer Gardening 1 20-02-2003 08:51 PM
Rain, rain go away! Damage report from Southern, CA A guy named Emil Roses 2 15-02-2003 07:39 PM