Old 26-11-2003, 05:05 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Default bromeliads in indoor plantscaping

Would be better to rotate the types with water reservoirs and replacing them
with fresh plants every couple of weeks.

In any case, would not recommend using the types with a water reservoir as
indoor landscaping plants because they are too much work to maintain
properly. That is way you typically see the Tillandsioid types without water
reservoirs such as Guzmania and Vriesea cultivars (especially in flower)
more commonly used as decoration instead in malls and other indoor
plantscapings.

Mogie wrote in message
Not when the plants are being used in a business. Paid to weekly maintain
these. Can't let them overflow there. But the ones in the greenhouse you

are
right about.

Cereoid-UR12- wrote in message
om...
What a complete waste of time and effort that was!! (At least you were
getting paid to do it, eh?)

In a greenhouse or outdoors, you could simply flush out the water

reservoirs
by watering them until they overflowed!!!

Mogie wrote in message
Worked in a greenhouse with Bromeliads for about a year. The owner

always
had us change the water in the reservoir.

Frogleg wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:00:01 -0800, "Mogie"
wrote:

Cereoid-UR12- wrote

Bromeliads that have a water reservoir in the center should

always
have
it
filled with water and the whole plant misted every few days.

Those
that
don't have the water reservoir also should be misted every few

days.
Most
use the soil, if any soil at all, for support not nutrition and

that
should
be moist not wet.

We mist everyday and remember to change the water in the reservoir

or
it
can
get scummy.

Change the water?! What, turn the plant upside down? I never changed
the water in mine, nor did I notice it becoming "scummy." I just
topped it up when it got shallow. In fact, (help me here, Cereoid) I
thought decaying insect and leaf bits provided nourishment for the
plant in the wild. I used to take small bromeliads out of their pots
and let them "vacation" in the hollows of big crape myrtle. Unless

it
was *very* dry, I didn't even need to water them all summer.

[IMG] code is On

bromeliads Tom Foley Orchids 4 24-09-2003 06:02 PM
bromeliads - info links tennis maynard Orchids 0 22-09-2003 08:42 PM
Interior Plantscaping Survey [email protected] Plant Biology 0 01-08-2003 10:38 PM
Bromeliads - Pineapples Lambert Plant Science 26 28-04-2003 03:44 PM
beginner questions about bromeliads Ted Shoemaker Gardening 1 23-02-2003 06:15 PM