Old 26-11-2003, 05:22 PM
Steve Glines

Default Christmas cactus not budding

I have 2 20+ year old Christmas Cactus. They should be budding by now
but nothing in sight. What should I do?
--
Steve Glines

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in
practice there is.

Old 26-11-2003, 06:02 PM
Phisherman

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:15:01 GMT, Steve Glines
wrote:

I have 2 20+ year old Christmas Cactus. They should be budding by now
but nothing in sight. What should I do?

Have more patience. Cool temps and no extra light helps. My
Thanskgiving cactus is in full bloom, but one Christmas cactus has no
buds yet and the other one (a different variety and smaller, younger)
is just now setting buds for the first time since I took the orginal
slip two years ago. I love these plants!
Old 26-11-2003, 06:12 PM
Purple Linny LeCompte

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:58:09 GMT, Phisherman wrote:
Have more patience. Cool temps and no extra light helps.

I'd agree with that.

I had my cc outside as it's still been in the 80s recently. Then as soon as
the temp dropped several degrees, it developed buds all over - which I was
thrilled at as it was a largish cutting that was only potted a couple of
months ago! Have brought it inside as it's too cold at night now. Keeping
watering to an absolute minimum, out of draughts with access to natural
light. The longer nights seem to be doing the trick and the buds are
developing at a healthy pace. Looks like it's gonna be bright pink :-)

Um, where's that page I found that was useful... here it is;
http://www.fernlea.com/xmas/cactinfo.htm
I love this site.
--
Lynda
Old 28-11-2003, 09:42 PM
Tom Randy

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:15:01 -0500, Steve Glines wrote:

I have 2 20+ year old Christmas Cactus. They should be budding by now but
nothing in sight. What should I do?

Give it cooler temps. I put mine down by the floor where it's cooler and
they are all budding and about to bloom.
Old 28-11-2003, 09:42 PM
Tom Randy

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:58:09 -0500, Phisherman wrote:

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:15:01 GMT, Steve Glines wrote:

I have 2 20+ year old Christmas Cactus. They should be budding by now but
nothing in sight. What should I do?

Have more patience. Cool temps and no extra light helps. My
Thanskgiving cactus is in full bloom, but one Christmas cactus has no
buds yet and the other one (a different variety and smaller, younger) is
just now setting buds for the first time since I took the orginal slip
two years ago. I love these plants!

Me too! I just bought a 6" white one!

Old 03-12-2003, 03:22 AM
Joseph S. Larson

Christmas cactus, like chrysanthemums, responds to day length (actually,
night length) along with cooler temperatures.. If you can, put your
cactus out for a summer vacation as soon as the weather permits, in a
shady area. Leave it there as long as you can, until weather gets cold,
then bring it in to a cool area where it will get natural light but no
artificial light at night. The lengthening nights, cooler temps, and
less watering will initiate budding. When you bring it into the warmer
house to admire the flowers, if you can keep it cool, the flowers will
last longer. If you can't give it a vacation outdoors, keep it in a
room which gets natural light only, but no light at night, starting in
August, water it sparingly and keep it cool as possible. Good luck!
Wendy (not Joe - he's the Under Gardener, the muscle, the lawnmower)

Steve Glines wrote:

I have 2 20+ year old Christmas Cactus. They should be budding by now
but nothing in sight. What should I do?

--
Joseph S. Larson
27 Arnold Road