Old 06-12-2003, 01:32 AM
Javier Reyes

Default is it posible to plant maple trees in Mexico?

I live in central Mexico in the state of Michoacan with a USDA zone of
9 or 10.

I would like to plant some maple trees here but I'm not familiar with
species that might survive here.

Does anybody have ideas or suggestions?

Thank you.
Javier
Old 06-12-2003, 04:43 AM
animaux

Take a look at this website and see if any will be okay where you are.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/o...ndexcommon.htm

I know Cado maple, big tooth maple, and a host of others grow in this part of south
central Texas. Mexico is clearly a zone south of me, but I do believe maples are found
all over the world in all regions.

Victoria

On 5 Dec 2003 17:18:24 -0800, (Javier Reyes) opined:

Old 06-12-2003, 06:02 AM
Steve Wolfe

I live in central Mexico in the state of Michoacan with a USDA zone of
9 or 10.

If you can get them to grow, they won't do well. They need a cold
winter rest period. I lived in LA for a few years, and missed the
maple trees.

I was lucky enough to spend two winters down in central Mexico, one of
which in Michoacan. Michoacan isn't the dry, dusty desert that a lot of us
Gringos think of when we think of Mexico. It's got some high, beautiful,
mountainous areas. Waterfalls, volcanos, lush vegitation, it's amazing!
And, in the higher areas, it can certainly get cold during the winter, but
it depends on where they're at. If they're in the "hot lands" (Apatzingan,
Nueva Italia, Infiernillo - "little hell"), that's one thing. On the other
hand, if they're in Uruapan, Patzcuaro, or Janitzio, then we're talking
about winters that get down to and a bit below freezing.

(The bit that makes winter "fun" down there is that houses aren't heated,
or even insulated - often, they're not even well sealed. While 30-35
degrees F doesn't sound that cold to a lot of us, you have to remember that
it's often not much warmer *inside* the house, if any. Of course, it
depends on the construction of the home, which can be anything from concrete
and brick to sticks and cardboard.)

steve

Old 08-12-2003, 02:32 AM
Jim Lewis

"Javier Reyes" wrote in message
om...
I live in central Mexico in the state of Michoacan with a USDA

zone of
9 or 10.

I would like to plant some maple trees here but I'm not

familiar with
species that might survive here.

Does anybody have ideas or suggestions?

Thank you.
Javier

I'd guess that Acer rubrum, the American red or swamp maple)
would do fine down there. In fact, it may already grow there.
It has an amazingly wide range over Eastern North America. But
it does OK in South Florida, so I'd guess it would do OK there
too. Try to find seed (or plants) from the southern U.S. as
those from up north will NOT survive in your area.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only to the
white man was nature a wilderness -- Luther Standing Bear
(Ogallala Sioux Chief)

Old 08-12-2003, 03:42 PM
Zemedelec

Of course, but they might not grow.

Llewellyn: I can call spirits from the boundless deep.
?: And so can I, and so can any man,
But will they answer?

Shakespeare, one of the Henry plays
zemedelec
Old 09-12-2003, 04:43 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Javier Reyes" wrote in message
om...
I live in central Mexico in the state of Michoacan with a USDA zone of
9 or 10.

I would like to plant some maple trees here but I'm not familiar with
species that might survive here.

Does anybody have ideas or suggestions?

Thank you.

Acer truncatum or shantung maple may work for you. It seems to be more heat
and drought tolerant than other maple species. You could also try a maple
look-alike, Liquidambar. They do well in zone 9 and 10 in SoCal, so should
be OK for you.

pam - gardengal

Old 12-12-2003, 05:02 AM
hort-4

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

"Javier Reyes" wrote in message
om...
I live in central Mexico in the state of Michoacan with a USDA zone of
9 or 10.

I would like to plant some maple trees here but I'm not familiar with
species that might survive here.

Does anybody have ideas or suggestions?

Thank you.

Are you in Chihuahua? http://travelamap.com/mexico/chihuahua.htm Mexico
Chihuahua map
If so, get a copy of Sunset National Garden or Sunset Western Garden Book.
Look sat nearest NM or TX zones.

=======

Pam:

Acer truncatum or shantung maple may work for you. It seems to be more

heat
and drought tolerant than other maple species. You could also try a maple
look-alike, Liquidambar. They do well in zone 9 and 10 in SoCal, so should
be OK for you.

Liquidambar
Liquidambar orientalis is more compact. Liquidambar orientalis Up to 10m.
Asia Minor
=====
A. buergerianum Trident Maple gives red color in mild climates.

Quick clues from Elias "Trees of North America"

A. pseudoplatanus
A. glabrum
A. grandidentatum
A. negundo (fast and dirty tree, but Box-Elders grow "anywhere")

==========

Mexico has some good Oaks.
Mexico Oaks silvery
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...s+silver-leaf+
http://www.treeguide.com/Species.asp?SpeciesID=849
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/gis/vege...s2/page15.html
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/o...oleucoides.htm

http://www.uapress.arizona.edu/samples/sam1499.htm

This is a classic Madrean Evergreen Woodland, specifically the Mexican
oak-pine woodland, a biotic community that tends to tongue down cooler
canyons in the Chiricahuas. In C. Hart Merriam's classification system, this
elevation corresponds to the Upper Sonoran life zone. However, since the
Upper Sonoran life zone also includes various grasslands, chaparral, and oak
woodlands, the limitations of the life zone system become apparent. David E.
Brown, a biology professor at Arizona State University and the editor of the
definitive guide Biotic Communities: Southwestern United States and
Northwestern Mexico, says that one advantage of the biotic community
approach is that these communities are easily recognized and even mapped on
the basis of certain "indicator" species. For example, Chihuahua and Apache
pine, together with netleaf and silverleaf oak, are indicators of the
Mexican oak-pine woodland, whereas Emory, Mexican blue, and Arizona white
oak with pinyon pine and alligator juniper characterize the encinal
woodland. Both are subunits of the Madrean Evergreen Woodland. The biotic
community system also relies on indicator animals as well as plants,
including rare and endangered species. In addition to elevation, it takes
into account nonliving elements like soil properties and landform history.
The entire classification hierarchy is flexible. Ecologists may add new
units and combine or delete old ones as further research indicates.

(I was looking for info about a "lush" lobed silvery-bottom-leafed growing
at Strybing in SF, but Q. h. is not it. )

Old 10-01-2004, 03:02 PM
J Kolenovsky

Hi is in Michoacan (borders on the Pacific) and is southwest of
Chihuahua about 500 miles.

http://www.mexconnect.com/MEX/jrose/michmap.html

=

Are you in Chihuahua? http://travelamap.com/mexico/chihuahua.htm Mexico=

Chihuahua map
If so, get a copy of Sunset National Garden or Sunset Western Garden Bo=

ok.
Look sat nearest NM or TX zones.

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky