GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/48280-self-sufficiency-acreage-requirement.html)

Down Under On The Bucket Farm 07-12-2003 03:02 PM

Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

Hi Everybody,

I am working on long-term plans for self-sufficiency, oriented to
buying some bare land and building an off-grid house, rainwater
catchment, composting toilet, etc, etc.

One issue is the question of how much physical space would be
needed to grow enough food to completely support myself?

I am willing to eat anything that is healthy, preferably
remaining vegetarian (although I am quite willing to have
chickens for eggs, and perhaps a goat for milk.)

This would involve one person living alone, in decent physical
condition, willing to do hard work and learn whatever is needed.

I realise that the yearly food yield will have to be spread out
via preserving, canning, etc.

My "day job" can be done remotely, via wireless Internet
connection, with flexible hours, thus leaving time and
opportunity for extensive gardening/farming, etc.

I do understand the risk of, for example, having a bad year, bad
weather, etc, and so would have money set aside to buy food in
that case. But the plan is to avoid that if at all possible.

I live in New Zealand, with plenty of rain in winter, but also
reasonable sunshine in summer.

So... How many acres of flat, farm-able land will I need?

Thanks in advance!

-V.

--
Guide To DIY Living
http://www.self-reliance.co.nz

Ian Stirling 07-12-2003 03:32 PM

In misc.survivalism Down Under On The Bucket Farm wrote:
Hi Everybody,

I am working on long-term plans for self-sufficiency, oriented to
buying some bare land and building an off-grid house, rainwater
catchment, composting toilet, etc, etc.

One issue is the question of how much physical space would be
needed to grow enough food to completely support myself?

The answer kind of depends if you'r in the middle of the Amazon, Antarctica,
or Austria.

Ann 07-12-2003 03:42 PM

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 06:56:32 -0800, Down Under On The Bucket Farm wrote:

Hi Everybody,

I am working on long-term plans for self-sufficiency, oriented to buying
some bare land and building an off-grid house, rainwater catchment,
composting toilet, etc, etc.

What do you plan to use for fuel ... for heating, cooking, generator,
operating ag equipmnet, and/or etc?

North 07-12-2003 04:33 PM

Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 06:56:32 -0800, Down Under On The Bucket Farm
said:

[...]

Very little if you plan things just right :-)
Google up "Square foot gardening"

Pam - gardengal 07-12-2003 05:02 PM

"Down Under On The Bucket Farm" wrote in message
[...]

I'm not sure acreage is necessary. I have a friend who grows all the fruit
and produce she needs to support her family on a small urban lot. And she
has enough left over to share with a local foodbank.

Grains may be more problematical. If you intend to raise grains as well for
flour, breads, etc., you may very well need some acreage, as the yields are
not as intensive. And any livestock will also need some space. But you
should be able to grow as many veggies and fruits as you need in a
relatively compact area, specially if you rotate crops through the growing
season and have a greenhouse/cold frame to encourage things in cold weather
and for early seeding.

pam - gardengal

Greylock 07-12-2003 05:02 PM

Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

Not a question that can be definitively answered on a general basis.

There are WAY too many variables. Soil fertility, length of growing
season, WHAT crops you are intending to grow, etc.

Try getting in touch with whatever the New Zealand government has
established to assist gardeners (in the US the Dept. of Agriculture
nationally and the states individually have a variety of programs).

They also probably have a wealth of free handouts to further help you.

I have a daughter in the area of Napier who seems to do well with two
season gardening, but not on the scale you are contemplating.

Steve 07-12-2003 05:12 PM

Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

Everything remains very simple to calculate until you bring the goat into
the formula.. While a human can raise his food in a cultivated plot of
ground, livestock require acres of vegitation to survive.. We all think of a
goat or pig thriving on kitchen scraps. Not nearly enough, especially since
you are going to be only one person and living on a vegetarian diet.

You most likely will have to purchase feed for a few chickens to be
productive. Raising grain requires additional land plus equipment and labor
to just raise it for your livestock.

Also, just a question. How will you maintain an internet connection if you
are off the grid??

Steve

Frogleg 07-12-2003 05:42 PM

wrote:

One issue is the question of how much physical space would be
needed to grow enough food to completely support myself?

Entirely or in part? American pioneers often supplemented their
homesteads with things like flour, oil, sugar, and salt. Your posts
indicate a beginning gardner. See how much veg you can harvest and
preserve this year. What are you willing to give up? Meaningful grain
production (and processing) is problematical. Are you prepared to
properly care for goats and chickens? Food, shelter, vet issues? A
vegetarian diet implies quite a selection of foods. This is also a
labor-intensive effort in many ways. 'Spare time' just doesn't cover
it.

Mysterion 07-12-2003 06:32 PM

Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

--
Remove "nospam" for e-mail
"Down Under On The Bucket Farm" wrote in message
Hi Everybody,

I am working on long-term plans for self-sufficiency, oriented to
buying some bare land and building an off-grid house, rainwater
catchment, composting toilet, etc, etc.

One issue is the question of how much physical space would be
needed to grow enough food to completely support myself?

Depends on the land's fertility and how much work you're willing to do.

I read a pretty good book on the subject that said you could support a
family of 4 on 5 acres.

My vegetable garden measures about 20 feet by 100 feet and even without "too
much" labor we can grow enough lettuce, tomatoes, snow peas, beans, carrots,
onions, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, kale, and Swiss chard to eat fresh, can
and/or freeze and still have some to give to the neighbors and compost. But
the soil has been nurtured almost fanatically for nearly 30 years.

animaux 07-12-2003 07:02 PM

Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

When my husband and I were looking into homesteading, we researched rural Texas. The zone
is 8b and we would raise chickens for eggs, and goats for cheese. In season fruits and
vegetables and winter crops of many different leafy greens, etc...In other words,
continuous produce all year. If we planned to have ten chickens, 8 goats, it was
suggested we have at least 5 acres. Preferably with brush and a glen...with water running
through the property. We were going to use wind power and solar power with energy stores
in banks of batteries designed to use for this process.

This is a huge area and there are no certain amounts of land. You may want to see if
anyone in your region is homesteading and see if there are any cooperatives among them.
That has been a steady component in all the reading I'd done.

Victoria

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 06:56:32 -0800, Down Under On The Bucket Farm
opined:

WCD 07-12-2003 07:42 PM

Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

There are an awful lot of variable involved here, but in a place like
Maine where I am, I've heard you could grow all the wood you would need
for heat through the winter on 5 acres. I've also heard you could eat
very well if you gardened 5 acres, with a lot of extra to put away or
sell for cash. I think I remember Eliot Coleman saying in one of his
books you could make a decent living growing on as little as 5 acres.

HTH

Bob Peterson 07-12-2003 08:12 PM

Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

Lots of people claim lots of things. I would be inclined to do some
personal research before I would just my life to something I saw in a book.
This type of farming is very difficult to sustain and takes a lot of work.
You could well be in deep trouble if you were forced to stop work for a week
or two due to injury, illness, or some other reason. or what if a storm
came through and destroyed your crops? or a horde of grasshoppers? even a
herd of deer could decimate your garden very quickly.

personally I suspect you can do a lot on 5 good acres with a continuous
water source, but I am leery of trusting my life to such a small area.

Frogleg 07-12-2003 09:12 PM

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 14:33:07 -0500, WCD wrote:

One issue is the question of how much physical space would be
needed to grow enough food to completely support myself?

There are an awful lot of variable involved here, but in a place like
Maine where I am, I've heard you could grow all the wood you would need
for heat through the winter on 5 acres. I've also heard you could eat
very well if you gardened 5 acres, with a lot of extra to put away or
sell for cash. I think I remember Eliot Coleman saying in one of his
books you could make a decent living growing on as little as 5 acres.

I guess I'm taking "self-sufficiency" too literally. I think it would
be virtually impossible for one person or family to be entirely
self-sufficient. If you include barter or sale of what you have excess
of -- that is, relying on your own land and labor to support you in
whatever way practical -- that's a different story. Reductio ad
absurdum, one could easily be "self-sufficient" if one had an oil well
in the back yard. L-) I expect one could grow enough veg so as not to
have to purchase any extra. But even a vegetarian can't live on canned
tomatoes and green beans alone. The OP mentioned goat(s) and chickens,
which means fodder of some sort and grain, and shelter. Experience
with a 20'x40' veg plot made me *very* aware of how difficult real
farming must be. Between too hot/cold, too much/too little water,
diseases, pests, weeds, and inexplicable failures to grow, I'd rather
not depend on my own efforts to sustain me.

simy1 07-12-2003 09:42 PM

"Ann" wrote in message ...
On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 06:56:32 -0800, Down Under On The Bucket Farm wrote:

Hi Everybody,

I am working on long-term plans for self-sufficiency, oriented to buying
some bare land and building an off-grid house, rainwater catchment,
composting toilet, etc, etc.

What do you plan to use for fuel ... for heating, cooking, generator,
operating ag equipmnet, and/or etc?

A well managed farm will support one person on 1/6 of an acre - but
those are numbers for grains/soybeans only, and a vegetarian person.
If you have farm animals, fruit trees, veggie patch, unfertile soil,
watering problems, your needs will rise accordingly. If you want to be
self-sufficient, there are a number of permaculture solutions that may
help you save labor. Amongst them is having
oaks or chestnuts to limit your need to grow grains. And use favas in
the cold season for extra bulk food plus fertilizing.

Steven Toney 07-12-2003 10:02 PM

Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

I would also plan on a green house of some size as well, maybe not the
biodome :), but a large functional one where you hve some environmental
control

"simy1" wrote in message
om...

David Hare-Scott 07-12-2003 10:11 PM

Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

"Steven Toney" wrote in message
om...
I would also plan on a green house of some size as well, maybe not the
biodome :), but a large functional one where you hve some

environmental
control

Excellent idea. Without such you will be subject to seasonal
feast/famine even with good preserving techniques.

David

Strider 07-12-2003 11:12 PM

On 7 Dec 2003 13:35:35 -0800, (simy1) wrote:

"Ann" wrote in message ...
[...]

One could theoretically raise all the food needed in a small dome on
the moon if he were able to invest enough money. It's the same with
land. One could thrive in the desert if you have enough money to
invest.

There is no good answer to the question without more info. It
generally took at least 40 acres to barely keep a familiy going here
in East TN in the 19th century (before hybrid seeds, commercial
fertilizer, and the internal combustion engine).

Strider

Edgar S. 08-12-2003 12:32 AM

"Steve" wrote in message ...
Everything remains very simple to calculate until you bring the goat into
the formula.

Ya. True to a certain extent. The Chinese say they can raise enuf
veggies to feed one person on 1 acre of land. The Chinese diet is
primarily vegetables, with smaller amounts of meat and grain.

These low tech diets supplement the vegetables primarily with pork and
duck as their main type of meat.

While a human can raise his food in a cultivated plot of
ground, livestock require acres of vegitation to survive.. We all think of a
goat or pig thriving on kitchen scraps.
Not nearly enough, especially since
you are going to be only one person and living on a vegetarian diet.

Actually, I believe the best diet in the world is eaten by Asians and
Polynesians. They do raise their own vegetables, the scraps are fed to
pigs. These pigs in turn also get sustainance from the jungles and
riverbanks. When the pigs are of the correct size they're butchered.
Pig scraps in turn get fed to other pigs and poultry.

Most low tech people live in families, tribes, communities. They don't
isolate themselves as westerners do. The very idea of one single
person providing for ALL their own needs would not even compute.

Because of trade, people can have foods of various kinds, so one
person doesn't have to do EVERYTHING. A pig would be chopped up, and
sections traded for other things.

If someone lives in a developed area, they can also take unwanted
animals which they do not have to raise themselves. Or...they can
trade.

You most likely will have to purchase feed for a few chickens

OR the person can trade a chicken dinner, or a few chickens for grain.

David Hill 08-12-2003 01:32 AM

Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

".......I am working on long-term plans for self-sufficiency, oriented to
buying some bare land and building an off-grid house, rainwater catchment,
composting toilet, etc, etc ......."

If you put up a couple of poly tunnels, then catch the water from them and
your dwelling into a quarter acre lake you could also keep yourself in
fish.
But really this question is like "How long is a piece of string?"

I would get as much land as you can afford then you can develop as much as
you find you need.
You say on your own, but things could change and you might want to support
more than just yourself, so spare land would be useful.
If you have no other use for it then graze an animal or two for sale to give
useful cash.
Remember for meat it is more sensible to keep things like poultry and
rabbits than larger animals as they are table ready in weeks rather than
months or even years.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

North 08-12-2003 02:02 AM

Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 14:11:23 -0600, "Bob Peterson"
said:

Lots of people claim lots of things. I would be inclined to do some
personal research before I would just my life to something I saw in a book.
This type of farming is very difficult to sustain and takes a lot of work.
You could well be in deep trouble if you were forced to stop work for a week
or two due to injury, illness, or some other reason. or what if a storm
came through and destroyed your crops? or a horde of grasshoppers? even a
herd of deer could decimate your garden very quickly.

personally I suspect you can do a lot on 5 good acres with a continuous
water source, but I am leery of trusting my life to such a small area.

I remember an old saying "Which can you spare more of ? Back or Brians
? "
I use the raised bed method of gardening. My total garden size is less
than 1/4 acres and I trow away 3 times as much food as my family (5 in
all) eat in a years time from this garden. Its a lot of work keeping
the soil good. Chicken wire and 2x4 frames keep the deer and harsh
rains from destorying the garden. A small green house gives me a big
jump on the growing season. Of course this is only a veggie garden, I
would need far more land to grow grain. BTW, for my familys needs, its
by far cheaper for me to buy or barter grain than it is to grow it.

dstvns 08-12-2003 03:02 AM

wrote:

So... How many acres of flat, farm-able land will I need?

I don't know, but I grew a years worth of garlic (fresh) and tomatoes
(canned) on about 400 square feet (0.009 acres?) of composted and
mulched soil this past year. My limitation is sun, due to so many
trees nearby. But I would definetly believe the figures that it
doesn't take a whole lot of land to live well. At 2 dollars per pound
for tomatoes at the store, we racked in a couple hundred dollars
worth...it was a good tomato year in the east.

Weather and access to water is also another variable in acreage
numbers. A greenhouse or sunroom will also do wonders in lengthening
the season.

Dan
nw NJ

Bob Peterson 08-12-2003 04:42 AM

said:

[...]

You can grow a lot of veggies in a small garden, but veggies are not really
the bulk of anyone's diet (or at least should not be). The OP was talking
about going off in the middle of nowhere and relying entirely on his plot of
land for all his needs.

First off, its pretty silly as you will not be able to grow/make a lot of
things you will need (like clothing, drugs, glassware, tools, etc, etc,
etc...). These are things you will either have to stockpile or trade with
someone who can make them for you.

As for food, you really need reliable sources of protein. meat protein is
the best (although vegans may argue with you on that). Poultry and their
eggs, fish, and wild game are probably the most cost effective way to get
your protein. But you have to feed the captive critters and free ranging it
probably is not the answer. So you will need something to feed your
chickens (insert rabbits, goats, turkeys, whatever your favorite critter to
eat is). You either have to grow that or acquire it from someone else.
Growing grain is not trivial on such a small scale, in many ways its much
easier on a harge scale.. The scale is so small, mechanization is
impractical, so you are forced to work 15 hours a day to bring in a small
grain crop to feed the critters. You can also divert some of that to your
own uses, but then you have to grow even more.

The point I was trying to get through (and probably failed) was that the
more skills you have to have the less likely you are to be competent in any
of them. Intensive gardening is something I have a little experience with
and its something you spend a lot of time and effort on to grow enough food
to be useful. And if you have to skip as short a period of time as even a
week of tending to your crops, you may never catch up.

Before I would trust my life to such a scheme, i would want to do some
personal research - like planting a small scale intensive garden and keeping
track of just how much work it is, and how much food was gleaned from it.
Keep in mind that in the scenario you envision you will need to work with
non-hybrid seeds which have a lot of disadvantages compared to hyrbid seeds.
You will need to learnt te difference and how to save seeds for the next
crop. This in itself can be a lot of work. I have tried this as well - and
trust me the few dollars saved on seeds is not worth it, unless of course
you have no alternative. :-)

BTW - 1/4 acre sounds like a small plot, but its a huge amount of work. Its
about 1/4 the size of the garden we planted every summer when I was a kid.
We probably spent a total of 20-40 hours a week keeping it up.

North 08-12-2003 05:02 AM

Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 22:34:12 -0600, "Bob Peterson"
said:

.. .
said:

[...]

I agree with everything you said.
I'm very lucky because my neighbor owns a deer farm. Plenty of deer
meat, more than I could ever eat in 10 life times.
I have set up an area on my land for wild rabbits to flourish.
Its an area with small shrubs and wild carrots. I purposely place
brush piles so the rabbits can have a place to hide and live. And it
works !!
One thing that a lot of folks forget is all the wild food growing.
I live in the Patomic highlands of West Virginia, we have 6 inches of
snow on the ground. Right now (at 11:45 PM in 15 degree F temps) I can
take a 5 gal bucket and within 1 hour I can gather enough greens to
eat for a week. They taste like shit, but tabasco sauce helps a lot
G In the spring and summer, I can gather the same amount in 5
minutes and its much better tasting. (ya just gotta know what to look
for )
There is a lot of edibles growing in winter, they just taste like
shit. With that in mind, the best tasting edibles in winter are the
things that breath and walk.

If you ever get a chance to cook with "Lemon Grass", try larding a
rabbit with bacon and lemon grass, Low temp bake for a couple of
hours, its heaven.

FWIW, Larding is when you cut 1x2 inch cuts all over the rabbit and
stuffing the cuts with uncooked bacon or some kind of tasty fat G.

gregpresley 08-12-2003 05:32 AM

Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

Although people have talked about the work, the land, the crops, and maybe
the animals, you really have to think about your caloric needs, and what is
practical/possible to grow to supply those. Vegetables are great, (my
favorites), but most are low in calories, so they won't supply the energy
you need to do the farming. For that you need concentrated sources of
carbohydrates. A large quantity of potatoes can be grown on small plots,
which is how the Irish survived when most of their most farmable land was
owned by the English. When potatoes are your SOLE source of carbohydrates,
you are probably talking something like 5 pounds per day....Grains like
wheat need a fair amount of land to grow, as only a tiny part of the plant
translates into useable food. Most cereal grains, like wheat,corn and oats,
need more land, but less intensive cultivation, except at planting and
harvest time. (In biblical times, didn't they just scratch the ground and
then throw the seed on the field out of bags or something?) Some of the
small grains eaten whole, such as quinoa and amaranth, could probably be
grown on a much smaller plot and could provide a good carbohydrate
alternative to potatoes - as well as adding some needed variety - but only
if you like their taste. I think buckwheat can also be grown compactly, as
it is not a true grain. Root vegetables such as turnips, parsnips, and
rutabagas are also pretty good sources of carbohydrates - and carrots too,
if eaten in quantity. Hard winter squash is also a pretty good source of
carbohydrates. That might need more land if you are going to plant enough to
last through the winter.
With a total vegetarian diet, you will also need to think about sources
of fat. It would be a good idea to plant a nut tree - however, it might be
15-25 years before you get an impressive crop.
Beans, dried peas, and other legumes can supply the majority of
protein needs, but again, you have to like them - and you have to have a
successful crop. Most people would want to have eggs for an additional
protein source, but keeping chickens adds another layer of work to a
one-person operation. If you wanted milk, then you are talking about cows
and/or goats, which again, add another layer of work - and more land
requirements - as well as setting aside some land solely for grazing.
In some cultures, certain types of insects are eaten as sources of
protein - for example, termites. But that might be hard for a person from
Western Cultures to stomach.

Steve 08-12-2003 07:42 AM

Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

I realise that the yearly food yield will have to be spread out
via preserving, canning, etc.

My "day job" can be done remotely, via wireless Internet
connection, with flexible hours, thus leaving time and
opportunity for extensive gardening/farming, etc.

I get the feeling that the OP here thinks that the gardening and canning
and preserving can be done in his spare time while working "flexible hours"
or he can work "flexible hours" in his spare time from working at gardening,
canning and preserving.

I was raise on a subistance farm (actual a regular farm where we raised 90%
of what we eat). We didn't have elect. or running water and my father farmed
with horses up until the mid '40s. Yes I even went to a one room school
house until I went into 5th grade.

Ok, my point. It is damn near a full time job to garden on a large scale
for full subsistance. My mother and father both worked in the family garden
in addition to tilling the soil to produce cash crops.

When it came canning time I was weeks of very hard hot work to 'put up'
hundreds of quarts or pints of fruits and vegitables. This is serious
business since we didn't buy any canned goods. For meat we would butcher one
hog for the year and split a beef cow with about 6-8 other families..
Without electricity we were forced to rent a freezer locker in 'the locker
plant' in the nearest town.. Chickens are a given on any subsistance farm,
mainly for the eggs. The only time we eat chicken was when they would get a
little older and stop laying.. By this time they were only suited for
broiling or boiling.. Nothing like KFC. Usually we could have chicken a
couple times a month.. With out refrig. it was difficult to gather and keep
enough eggs to sell commercially. Chicken feed was something that we often
had to purchase.

Just some of my memories.

Steve

Gary Coffman 08-12-2003 09:32 AM

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 23:40:59 -0800, "Steve" wrote:
[...]

Mine too. About the only things we bought at the store were salt, sugar,
baking soda, and coffee. Our way out was to rent enough land to actually
make a living at farming, and do all our grocery shopping at the grocery
store instead of trying to grow it ourselves. That was a much better use
of our time and resources. Eventually, the only things we grew for the
table at home were tomatoes.

Gary

House Todorovich 08-12-2003 10:02 AM

Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

snip

Grains are not that difficult, and can be harvested with a hand mower
(scythe), and hand winnowed and prepared.

1/4 acre of buckwheat / wheat / other grains will provide enough for a
family of four usually when combined with other foods.

Here is a good source for grains and other biointensive gardening info /
supplies:

http://www.bountifulgardens.org/seed...rains-seed.htm

I think five acres would be more than sufficient if you apply permaculture
type efforts. Remember one effort / multiple returns is best.

Strongly advise at least one acre pond, with running water, or solar well to
keep it full. Fish are protean, and can also attract ducks.

Consider foraging as addition to farming.

Look at Tappan on Survival for some more subsistance farming / foraging
ideas.

Bob Peterson 08-12-2003 12:32 PM

"House Todorovich" wrote in message

snip

Grains are not that difficult, and can be harvested with a hand mower
(scythe), and hand winnowed and prepared.

1/4 acre of buckwheat / wheat / other grains will provide enough for a
family of four usually when combined with other foods.

Ever actually done this? or is this just an 'educated guess"?

Dwight Sipler 08-12-2003 01:02 PM

Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

Down Under On The Bucket Farm wrote:
...I am working on long-term plans for self-sufficiency, oriented to
buying some bare land and building an off-grid house, rainwater
catchment, composting toilet, etc, etc.
One issue is the question of how much physical space would be
needed to grow enough food to completely support myself?...

I do understand the risk of, for example, having a bad year, bad
weather, etc, and so would have money set aside to buy food in
that case. But the plan is to avoid that if at all possible.

I live in New Zealand, with plenty of rain in winter, but also
reasonable sunshine in summer...

No definite answer to this one. Too many variables. However, there is a
book, written probably in the 1940's (judging from the illustrations),
called "5 Acres and Independence", author's name escapes me at the
moment, but I think it starts with a K. It's full of receipes for
various necessities such as building your own septic tank, root crop
storage, etc., so although it's dated it might contain something of
value.

You will have to grow more than you need, because you will need some
money to buy (or trade for) stuff you can't grow (e.g. salt [unless you
have a salt mine or live by the sea])

Just Googled the book, author Maurice Kains. Available at Amazon.com
(reprint, paperback $7.95US, some used copies cheaper). Check your local
library.

Bob Mounger 08-12-2003 02:42 PM

Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

If you look at Buffalo Bird Woman's Garden:
http://digital.library.upenn.edu/wom...en/garden.html

You can see what they did for subsistence living in North America 150
years ago. Corn & squash for carbohydrates, beans for protein,
sunflowers for fats, ground cherries for vitamins.
(She mentions buffalo scrotums & deer antlers as tools, but I don't
recall if she says how much meat they needed by hunting.)

Jeavons books aim at something like what you are interested in:

http://www.bountifulgardens.org/grow...e-books.html#1

I don't know if anyone ever actually lived exclusively on the produce
they grew in these little plots. Looks pretty hard to me.

Hope this helps,

--
Bob Mounger

JMartin 08-12-2003 03:02 PM

Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

Try ducks instead of chickens for eggs. They forage more on their own and
some breeds (Khaki Campbells) lay just as well as chickens. Geese are
excellent foragers, but they don't lay for very long.

I've found ducks to be more hardy, less likely to get sick, but messier.

Jena

simy1 08-12-2003 03:12 PM

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message ...

Excellent idea. Without such you will be subject to seasonal
feast/famine even with good preserving techniques.

David

Since the original poster was posting from subtropical Australia, I
doubt it. One just has to have winter vegetables, and things like
grains and beans.

simy1 08-12-2003 03:32 PM

"Bob Peterson" wrote in message ...

personally I suspect you can do a lot on 5 good acres with a continuous
water source, but I am leery of trusting my life to such a small area.

such a small area? In the US we produce easily 2 tons of wheat per
acre, which will cover the caloric needs of 7. Given that 90% of the
acreage is for feed,
we have much less than an acre per person to live on.

[email protected] 08-12-2003 05:12 PM

Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message news:jUIAb.453413$Tr4.1256311@attbi_s03...
[snip]
I'm not sure acreage is necessary. I have a friend who grows all the fruit
and produce she needs to support her family on a small urban lot. And she
has enough left over to share with a local foodbank.

Zucchini to the left of me.
Zucchini to the right of me.

Really, it depends on what your definition of "self-sufficient" is.

Did you grow that computer terminal? Did you raise enough food to
barter for that computer terminal? What about that hoe? Or that
shovel? Or that nail? Or that chicken wire? Well, if you understand
the answers to those questions, you probably were never here
in the first place.
Socks

len gardener 08-12-2003 05:42 PM

Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

there is someone in tasmania working along those lines as i understand
it he doesn't even have power, not sure now where i've seen his posts,
but maybe you could post this question in aus.gardens, or
http://www.au.gardenweb.com/forums/ozgard/.

we have near 70 acres here in queensland in aus', can't live without
power/phone etc.,. could grow enough veges on 2 to 5 acres need more
to grow enough fruit but we love our meat so could never grow enough
chooks/ducks/beef to keep the freezer full. then there are the things
like sugar, salt, tea/coffee, fuel, soap etc.,. so maybe partial self
sufficiency is attainable? could be a full time job just doing enough
to survive. and like you say then the affects of climate/weather kick
in.

where starting off simply trying to supplement, so far w don't buy
much in the vege line, but being in the sub-tropics can't imagine how
to grow enough potatoes, sweet potatoes yes but then not every body
likes them in the diet.

just my thoughts keep us informed on how you as you go along.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://home.dnet.aunz.com/gardnlen/

A.T. Hagan 08-12-2003 05:42 PM

Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

Ian Stirling wrote in message ...
In misc.survivalism Down Under On The Bucket Farm wrote:
Hi Everybody,

I am working on long-term plans for self-sufficiency, oriented to
buying some bare land and building an off-grid house, rainwater
catchment, composting toilet, etc, etc.

One issue is the question of how much physical space would be
needed to grow enough food to completely support myself?

The answer kind of depends if you'r in the middle of the Amazon, Antarctica,
or Austria.

As Ian points out we'd need to know generally where you want to
attempt this project. It's one thing to try it in the Southeast and
quite another to try it in the Intermountain West.

We'd also need to have a fair idea of what your choice of diet would
be. The typical American eats a fair amount of meat, consumes a good
deal of fat, and an even greater amount of sugar in his diet. All
three of these will impact heavily on how much land you'd need to
maintain your customary diet.

Should you happen to be a vegetarian who does not customarily eat a
lot of fats or sugar matters become much simpler.

No matter how you cut it true subsistence farming is a time consuming
occupation even with a high degree of mechanization. It can be done,
but if you're not already an avid gardener you'd best be ready for a
major lifestyle change.

Gene Logsdon has published a number of books concerning homesteading -
which is generally what you're talking about here - and they'll go a
long way to pointing out the particulars of your project. In
conjunction with spending some time with your local county
agricultural agent to gain familiarity with local conditions you'll be
a long ways towards understanding what it is you're wanting to do.

My advice is to start small. Plant a reasonable sized vegetable
garden to supply your fresh summer veggies. If you succeed with that
expand your operation to supply your winter veggies - fresh or
preserved. Then add in either small scale grain growing or small
scale livestock such as chickens or rabbits.

You manage all that and you'll have a very good idea of what you need
to do to flesh out the rest of the plan.

......Alan.

David Hill 08-12-2003 06:02 PM

Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

"...........In the US we produce easily 2 tons of wheat per
acre, which will cover the caloric needs of 7........."

You might do this on 100 acre fields where the birds are spoiled for choice,
but you try a small plot of grain and see just how much the birds have.