Old 15-12-2003, 02:31 PM
B & J

Default Rosemary - White powdery substance

"animaux" wrote in message
There is a variety which will tolerate, oh, USDA Zone 6b in a protected

situation.
Against a southern side of the house, but dry. Rosemary 'ARP' is one of

the more hardy
types. Another was developed by Madelaine Hill, it may be called 'Hill'

for all I know.
I don't recall. Does anyone remember the one she found which is hardy?

I have a variety that has survived in Zone 6b for the past four years
without any particular winter protection. Last fall I over wintered a
cutting that rooted after being used as a county fair exhibit in my sun
room. This spring I discarded the old plant that had become overgrown and
woody and planted the cutting. in its place. It's doing fine. I find
rosemary far easier to grow in 6b than lavender, which will not tolerate wet
feet during the winter. Rosemary is far more forgiving and seems to thrive
on a bit of water and fertilization during hot weather. BTW, the original
rosemary had grown to 2 1/2' X 2 1/2' when discarded.

John

Old 15-12-2003, 02:47 PM
animaux

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:36:46 -0600, "B & J" bjskeff@removecox-internetcom opined:

I have a variety that has survived in Zone 6b for the past four years
without any particular winter protection. Last fall I over wintered a
cutting that rooted after being used as a county fair exhibit in my sun
room. This spring I discarded the old plant that had become overgrown and
woody and planted the cutting. in its place. It's doing fine. I find
rosemary far easier to grow in 6b than lavender, which will not tolerate wet
feet during the winter. Rosemary is far more forgiving and seems to thrive
on a bit of water and fertilization during hot weather. BTW, the original
rosemary had grown to 2 1/2' X 2 1/2' when discarded.

John

Well, down here in Texas I've seen Rosemary 5 feet tall and wide. They get rather large
here, needless to say. Many people use them as evergreen hedges. You can't beat the
fragrance. Most every raised wall has prostrate Rosemary dripping from it. A beautiful
and useful plant.

Old 16-12-2003, 06:12 AM
B & J

"animaux" wrote in message

Well, down here in Texas I've seen Rosemary 5 feet tall and wide. They

get rather large
here, needless to say. Many people use them as evergreen hedges. You

can't beat the
fragrance. Most every raised wall has prostrate Rosemary dripping from it.

A beautiful
and useful plant.

I'll have to admit that my old Rosemary was a bit ratty appearing and had
outgrown its allotted space, which is why I discarded it. I don't need that
much Rosemary. G BTW, one of our local nurseries has Rosemary in pots for
sale that were trimmed and decorated to resemble miniature Christmas trees.
The scent and color were correct, but the word "tacky" still came to mind as
I viewed them. I suppose making a buck is an American tradition, but....

John

Old 16-12-2003, 03:02 PM
Graham

"B & J" bjskeff@removecox-internetcom wrote in message
"animaux" wrote in message

[...]

At least they'll have some use after xmas.
Graham