Old 30-12-2003, 10:12 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default Thermometers - preferably digital and remote - recommendations

Last year was my first year gardening. I'm very detail oriented and I
used a remote digital thermometer to monitor the temps in the garden
and the main unit to moinotr temps inside where I was growing
seedlings. It was a RadioShack unit and a bit costly $40-50.

However I found the remote unit was terribly inaccurate. It would read
120 degrees on any strong sunny day. I relocated to a shaded spot
slighlty off the ground but it would still hit 120+ on sunny days. I
don't know if it registered cold better than heat, however the lows at
night were more consistent with weather forecasts.

Even now I have both side by side in front of me, the main unit says
70.3 and the remote 74.1.

Anybody have experience with more accurate ones. I like having a
remote one outside, since it put it deep in the garden bed or out of
reach without ahving to worry about reading it. The back of the house
has a lot of stone walls, stone patio and slate walkway which all
store heat, but I'm looking at gardening further away from the hosue
this year, possibly behind the garage.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener
Old 30-12-2003, 11:33 PM
madgardener

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:06:48 GMT, DigitalVinyl
wrote:

[...]

\

go to Lowes and look in the Inside Lawn and Garden section. They have
remote ones as well as Acutite ones that register Minimum, Maximum
temperatures as well as Min and Max humidity that can be cleared out
every day. It also has clock capabilities if you want it to. The
humidity part is inside, by the way, but it's very accurite on
temperatures inside and out. Cost is $19.97 and battery powered. The
other one is around $39.97 for the remote ones. Same company.
madgardener
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener

Old 31-12-2003, 04:02 AM
Joe Morris

I found one at Walgreen's called Acu-rite that cost $20. It included the
base unit and one remote sensor/thermometer. Before Christmas, it was also
available at my local Wal-Mart. But I did not see them after Christmas.
Extra remotes are available via the company's Web site for $16. I could not
find just the remote units in stores. The base unit will monitor up to 3
remote sensors.

Regards,

Joe Morris

Please remove ZAP to email me.

news

Old 01-01-2004, 05:02 PM
simy1

DigitalVinyl wrote in message . ..
Last year was my first year gardening. I'm very detail oriented and I
used a remote digital thermometer to monitor the temps in the garden

It is a small detail for perennials that are well adapted to your
site. It is a big detail, at least for veggies and tender annuals and
also if you do any sort of gardening under cover. It took me two years
to find out that my garden location, located in a depression of my
yard which minimizes watering, was also up to 8 degrees colder (min
temps) than outside my south windows. That, coupled to shadow until
noon in the summer, makes it a bad location for warm weather veggies
(I am a greens-oriented gardener, but it would be nice to have twice
as many Brandywines, in August as opposed to Labor Day). So I really
need four temperatures at my place, inside, inside the hoophouse,
outside my window on the patio where I grow seedlings (one year I lost
every cabbage seedling on a hot April day, even though they were
outside), and in the garden. Plus soil temperature in garden and
hoophouse, of course, though that varies slowly and can be measured by
hand
once a month.