Old 03-01-2004, 09:37 PM
Mick709

Default Experiences with Ipomoea ?

Several people suggested to my last post about plant recommendations to try
Ipomoea ( Mornig Glory). I am dealing with the pests in the back yard and I
dont want to introduce them to the front and regret it. So, whats your
experience with Ipomoea?? What kind are least invasive? What kind are most?
ANy and all input would be great!

MICK!
Old 04-01-2004, 05:42 PM
Pam - gardengal

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article ,
(Mick709) wrote:

Several people suggested to my last post about plant recommendations to

try
Ipomoea ( Mornig Glory). I am dealing with the pests in the back yard

and I
dont want to introduce them to the front and regret it. So, whats your
experience with Ipomoea?? What kind are least invasive? What kind are

most?
ANy and all input would be great!

MICK!

My experience in zone 8, planting the seeds in a sunny location, is they
do poor to mediocre, & do not come back a second year. But then I put them
in a semi-low-maintenance location -- they might've been fine annuals in a
moister spot.

-paghat the ratgirl

I don't believe we get enough summer heat to successfully grow Ipomoea in
the PNW. I have had success with Spanish Flag (Ipomoea or Mina lobata) grown
in container from starts, but seeds just don't do well. Even a start of I.
coccinea in full sun fizzled out.

These are all annual vines in most of the country and relatively easy to
start from seed in climates with hot summers. As annuals they should not
pose ANY invasive threat and in a large portion of the country, even the
seeds will not ripen sufficiently to be a problem. Just stay away from the
bindweed ( I doubt you will find this available for sale, anyway.) The
tricolor cultivars are probably the most popular - 'Royal Ensign', 'Heavenly
Blue', 'Pearly Gates', 'Flying Saucers', etc.

Water spinach, Ipomoea aquatica, IS an invasive but I doubt that is the type
of morning glory you are looking for.

This link may help:
http://members.aol.com/sighburtek/mgs.html

pam - gardengal

Old 05-01-2004, 01:32 AM
gregpresley

Pam, have you tried "early call"? I grew it this summer in Spokane. It is
true that it didn't start to bloom until late August, but we didn't have
killing frost until late October this year, so I was able to have flowers
for that long anyway. In theory, it is supposed to be the quickest variety
of morning glories to come into flower, although not the most spectacular,
and thus recommended for short and/or cool summer climates. I agree with you
that the annual varieties of morning glory would never be invasive in cold
northern climates. I do remember in north Florida that the little square
orange-flowered morning glory was, shall we say, rather generous in its
self-sowing habits. And there is also a purple-flowered perennial morning
glory there that has a bad reputation for taking over large swaths of
ground.
"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article ,

Old 05-01-2004, 02:32 AM
Pam - gardengal

Yeah, that's probably I. purpurea, maybe not the most well berhaved, but it
is also a perennial form, too. Is 'Early Call' a tricolor? I'm not sure why
I am asking, as I have too many other perennial vines to worry about growing
the annuals :-))

pam - gardengal

"gregpresley" wrote in message
[...]

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article ,

Old 06-01-2004, 09:02 AM
gregpresley

I believe "early call" is made up from selections from I. tricolor chosen
for early blooming habits. My packet was supposed to be mixed colors, but
all that germinated and bloomed from my packet were in the very pale purple
to sky blue range. I might try them again against a hot sunny wall in the
ground . I grew them in a pot, thinking that that would warm up quicker, but
I think the inevitable drying out between waterings during our long hot
summer also set them back.
I have noticed that moonflowers grow well in Portland. (Perhaps too
well). Do they also succeed in Seattle, where the other Ipomeas do not do as
well?
[...]

"paghat" wrote in message
news In article ,

(Mick709) wrote:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Ipomoea Pandurata LisaTWade Gardening 3 21-11-2011 03:37 PM
Ipomoea indica Pam Moore United Kingdom 3 31-03-2005 10:46 AM
Edibility of ornamental Ipomoea batatas? Monique Reed Plant Science 37 14-12-2004 07:00 PM
Edibility of ornamental Ipomoea batatas? Monique Reed Plant Biology 13 07-12-2004 03:04 PM
Ipomoea volubilis (Morning Glory) Opinicus Gardening 1 22-05-2003 10:08 PM