Old 09-01-2004, 08:49 PM
Sammy'

Default cast iron plant

I purchased some cast iron plants on ebay.
Planted a 1/3 in a pot get afternoon light, planted another 1/3 in a pot
gets morning light, the last 1/3 is still sitting in some water.
The plants roots were really dry and I sat them in water for about 2 weeks.
The potted plants two of the leaves are turning yellow. Does this mean too
much or too little water? Or is this a light problem?

Old 10-01-2004, 01:32 AM
Phisherman

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 20:29:01 GMT, "Sammy'" wrote:

I purchased some cast iron plants on ebay.
Planted a 1/3 in a pot get afternoon light, planted another 1/3 in a pot
gets morning light, the last 1/3 is still sitting in some water.
The plants roots were really dry and I sat them in water for about 2 weeks.
The potted plants two of the leaves are turning yellow. Does this mean too
much or too little water? Or is this a light problem?

Cast iron plants resent transplanting. Water them once a month or
every three weeks during winter, once a week from spring to fall.
Give the plant a shower when the leaves get dusty. Mine gets a very
brief period of sunlight only in late afternoon--it has been growing
there (in the same pot) for over 10 years. It is the nature of this
plant to look a little haggard, and one of few plants that seem to
enjoy neglect. Only got it to flower once--it's a purple flower at
the soil surface. I've been looking for a variegated variety for the
past few years, nothing found yet!

Yikes! Soaked in water for two weeks--sounds a bit extreme (one day
should have been enough), but I guess the cast iron plant can take a
little torture too.
:-)

Old 10-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Pam - gardengal

"Sammy'" wrote in message
. com...
I purchased some cast iron plants on ebay.
Planted a 1/3 in a pot get afternoon light, planted another 1/3 in a pot
gets morning light, the last 1/3 is still sitting in some water.
The plants roots were really dry and I sat them in water for about 2

weeks.
The potted plants two of the leaves are turning yellow. Does this mean too
much or too little water? Or is this a light problem?

You left them in water for 2 weeks?? Definitely a water issue - the roots
are starved for oxygen and are most likely rotted by now. Even if very dry,
the roots would rehydrate after only a couple of hours. These are not bog or
water plants, and can go without water for extended periods. Provided any of
these survive (you might as well toss the one still sitting in water right
now), they tolerate low light level and minimal watering, specially in
winter. That's how they got the name 'cast iron' plant, because they are
extremely easy to grow and require minimal care. I'm not sure I ever
encountered anyone who actually killed one of these plants :-) Might help to
do some research on the plants BEFORE you get them so you know how to
properly care for them before it is too late.

pam - gardengal

Old 10-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Frogleg

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 20:29:01 GMT, "Sammy'" wrote:

I purchased some cast iron plants on ebay.
Planted a 1/3 in a pot get afternoon light, planted another 1/3 in a pot
gets morning light, the last 1/3 is still sitting in some water.
The plants roots were really dry and I sat them in water for about 2 weeks.
The potted plants two of the leaves are turning yellow. Does this mean too
much or too little water? Or is this a light problem?

Way too much water. See:

http://www.plant-care.com/PlantTips/1999/010899.htm

for care of Aspidistra Elatior.

[IMG] code is On

Rainwater Diverters For Cast Iron Downpipes Crazy Dog United Kingdom 6 12-03-2006 09:17 PM
Cast Iron plant - Cheap seller recommendation? M_Twain Texas 2 22-09-2004 09:07 PM
cast iron plant Sammy' Gardening 0 09-01-2004 08:41 PM
Cast Iron Tecumseh 10 HP HH100 Magneto Rick Warner Lawns 2 21-12-2003 03:05 PM
Cast iron lawn roller Baz United Kingdom 2 30-09-2002 08:53 AM