GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wind Chimes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/50206-re-wind-chimes.html)

animaux 13-01-2004 02:02 PM

Wind Chimes

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:10:53 GMT, "Broomhilda"
opined:

I have heard about a windchime that is sort of tuned???? Don't know what
they are called. Can anyone help me?

Thanks a bunch

Broom Hilda

There are wind chimes which have a certain resonance in their tone. They aren't
tuned in the way a guitar is tuned, but are placed with other lengths of
whatever the chime is made of to produce a melodic tone in conjunction with the
other notes of the chimes. The larger the chimes, the deeper the tones. I made
my own using copper pipe. I used 1.5" pipe cut at different lengths. I don't
know if mine are "tuned" to be harmonic or not, but they don't sound like those
annoying tinkly small ones.

Broomhilda 13-01-2004 02:42 PM

Wind Chimes

Thanx. Found a wonderful source online. The chimes almost sound like they
have an organ in the background.
thank you again.

Pixi alias Broomhilda

animaux 13-01-2004 05:42 PM

Wind Chimes

Yes, chimes, bells, gongs and such are all used in monastic life to represent
the vibration of the universe. They represent causation and affliction in that
when they touch, they make a noise.

Some day I will get a large gong. By large, I mean about 24 inches.

Victoria

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 14:37:14 GMT, "Broomhilda"
opined:

Thanx. Found a wonderful source online. The chimes almost sound like they
have an organ in the background.
thank you again.

Pixi alias Broomhilda

.. .

[email protected] 13-01-2004 09:32 PM

Wind Chimes

rec.ponds been talking about wind chimes like this.. they are tuned to "winchester"
and other sets of specific tones. you might want to check past messages for
rec.ponds and wind chimes. Ingrid

"Broomhilda" wrote:

I have heard about a windchime that is sort of tuned???? Don't know what
they are called. Can anyone help me?

Thanks a bunch

Broom Hilda

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

paghat 13-01-2004 09:43 PM

Wind Chimes

Wind chims in gardens are horrifying. They are noisy & annoying & disturb
the natural sounds a garden can engender with birds & crickets & rainfall
& rustling leaves & water features.

When some loon collects ten to sixty rackety hanging bits of ugly-ass
chimes to dangle all around the edges of their home, they make themselves
a nuisance to their neighborhood. Such collectors should be shot dead by
their own drug-dealing teenagers during a drive-by, the corpse buried
under dismantled windchimes & left to decay right there on the broken-down
porch of the chimester's trailer house.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

David Hill 13-01-2004 11:32 PM

Wind Chimes

"...Thanx. Found a wonderful source online. The chimes almost sound like
they have an organ in the background.
thank you again.........."
Well , are you going to share the site?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

BonnieJean 13-01-2004 11:33 PM

Wind Chimes

I have chimes that sound like church bells....so relaxing and beautiful.
BUT, they are in my shed because I thought to myself not everyone might
think they are so nice. And on a windy day they might be down right
annoying. I wish I could figure out how to keep them quiet, still hung, and
only have them chime when I'm in the mood---on a summer day while reading in
my hammock.

Bonnie

Hound Dog 14-01-2004 12:02 AM

Wind Chimes

"BonnieJean" wrote in message
I have chimes that sound like church bells....so relaxing and beautiful.
BUT, they are in my shed because I thought to myself not everyone might
think they are so nice. And on a windy day they might be down right
annoying. I wish I could figure out how to keep them quiet, still hung,

and
only have them chime when I'm in the mood---on a summer day while reading

in
my hammock.

How about a rubber band around them so the tubes can't bang against one
another.

Hound Dog

madgardener 14-01-2004 02:32 AM

Wind Chimes

Those would be Woodstock windchimes. AWESOME windchimes that are a bit
expensive but of superior quality. I found mine at BookaMillion bookstore
but sure you might find them online if you try a link g
madgardener who has about NINE of them in various varieties and tones up on
the ridge, back in Fairy Holler where the fairies appreciate their music,
overlooking English Mountain in Eastern TEnnessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36
nk.net...

graham 14-01-2004 03:12 AM

Wind Chimes

"paghat" wrote in message
Wind chims in gardens are horrifying. They are noisy & annoying & disturb
the natural sounds a garden can engender with birds & crickets & rainfall
& rustling leaves & water features.

When some loon collects ten to sixty rackety hanging bits of ugly-ass
chimes to dangle all around the edges of their home, they make themselves
a nuisance to their neighborhood. Such collectors should be shot dead by
their own drug-dealing teenagers during a drive-by, the corpse buried
under dismantled windchimes & left to decay right there on the broken-down
porch of the chimester's trailer house.

-paghat the ratgirl

Or, you could take up "playing" the bagpipes;-)
Graham

Warren 14-01-2004 06:12 AM

Wind Chimes

madgardener wrote:
Those would be Woodstock windchimes. AWESOME windchimes that are a bit
expensive but of superior quality. I found mine at BookaMillion

bookstore
but sure you might find them online if you try a link g
madgardener who has about NINE of them in various varieties and tones

up on
the ridge, back in Fairy Holler where the fairies appreciate their

music,
overlooking English Mountain in Eastern TEnnessee, zone 7, Sunset zone

36

I used to hate windchimes -- until my late wife introduced me to JW
Stannard windchimes.

I still can't stand those cheap things that sound like glass shards
falling on concrete. They still annoy the crap out of me. But I now have
three different sets of JW Stannard chimes. My favorite are the 72" ones
that sound like church bells in the distance.

I've heard Woodstock chimes as well. They're also very nice. If you
can't find JW Stannard, Woodstock makes nice ones, too. I have a Feng
Shui set that's pretty nice.

And unlike those cheap pieces of crap that pierce the air with their
dissonance, the JW Stannard and Woodstock windchimes have soft tones
that don't carry as far. Of course part of that is because there is no
dissonance, which because of the annoyance factor is noticed more.

I wonder how many others that think they hate windchimes have never
actually heard a decent set, and only have experienced the cheap, crappy
ones.

By the way, Amazon has some Woodstock windchimes in their outdoor decor
department.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...60085/sr%3D1-4"Woodstock

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Spend your Amazon gift certificates he
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/associateshop.html

B & J 14-01-2004 06:32 AM

Wind Chimes

"paghat" wrote in message

When some loon collects ten to sixty rackety hanging bits of ugly-ass
chimes to dangle all around the edges of their home, they make themselves
a nuisance to their neighborhood. Such collectors should be shot dead by
their own drug-dealing teenagers during a drive-by, the corpse buried
under dismantled windchimes & left to decay right there on the broken-down
porch of the chimester's trailer house.

-paghat the ratgirl

Are you trying to tell us that wind chimes are not high on your list of
gardening experiences? ;-)

John

Hound Dog 14-01-2004 10:02 AM

Wind Chimes

"paghat" wrote in message
Wind chims in gardens are horrifying. They are noisy & annoying & disturb
the natural sounds a garden can engender with birds & crickets & rainfall
& rustling leaves & water features.

When some loon collects ten to sixty rackety hanging bits of ugly-ass
chimes to dangle all around the edges of their home, they make themselves
a nuisance to their neighborhood. Such collectors should be shot dead by
their own drug-dealing teenagers during a drive-by, the corpse buried
under dismantled windchimes & left to decay right there on the broken-down
porch of the chimester's trailer house.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

There are several things, in my opinion, much more annoying than wind
chimes.

1. Never-ending barking dogs.
2. Boom-boxes with the volume and bass set way too high.
3. Bouncing basketballs.
4. Neighbors that permit the first three to happen and don't seem to care
how much their neighbors are bothered.

Hound Dog

Broomhilda 14-01-2004 10:42 AM

Wind Chimes

Here you are. Don't forget to listen to them.

http://pineridgeonline.com/chimes/we...andelite.shtml

Broomhilda 14-01-2004 11:02 AM

Wind Chimes

What a wonderful mind you have. Ever think of taking up writing for a
living? I think you would probably outsell Stephen King.

Broomhilda 14-01-2004 11:17 AM

Wind Chimes

Thanks to everyone who answered. There are windchimes and then there are
windchimes. Some do jangle the nerves.

However, I live about 1000 feet from my nearest neighbor and I doubt if a
truly melodious chime will bother them.

If it does my neighbor will no doubt set up a pig sty on the windward side
of me as he frequently threatens.

Starlord 14-01-2004 03:42 PM

Wind Chimes

Hay! I just invented a biodegradable wind chime, not only does it biodegrade
over time, but it's sound can not be heard by anyone. It's made from paper
tubes.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Ad World
http://adworld.netfirms.com

"Broomhilda" wrote in message
nk.net...
Here you are. Don't forget to listen to them.

http://pineridgeonline.com/chimes/we...andelite.shtml

---

Starlord 14-01-2004 03:43 PM

Wind Chimes

They wouldn't last long here in the High Mojave Desert, the first good blow is
spring time would take'm down for good. Last year we recorded 2 days of near
80mph winds ( Mojave itself clocked winds of near 100mph those same days )

Zemedelec 14-01-2004 04:06 PM

Wind Chimes

Fortunately there are only 2 sets of windchimes within hearing district. This
is (the far edge of) the Garden District and one set belongs to the next-door
rectory, the other to a low-key lesbian couple two doors down. I doubt anyone
would dare tell "Father Pat" that they didn't like his wind chimes (the church
bells are much louder, but still pleasing) and the average inhabitant may well
cross himself passing the house with the rainbow banner. I enjoy hearing all
the bells out in my garden, but I wouldn't want "a tinntinnabulation of wind
chimes" to infest the block.
zemedelec

[email protected] 14-01-2004 05:32 PM

Wind Chimes

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:46:12 -0800,
(paghat) wrote:
Wind chims in gardens are horrifying. They are noisy & annoying & disturb
the natural sounds a garden can engender with birds & crickets & rainfall
& rustling leaves & water features.
When some loon collects ten to sixty rackety hanging bits of ugly-ass
chimes to dangle all around the edges of their home, they make themselves
a nuisance to their neighborhood. Such collectors should be shot dead by
their own drug-dealing teenagers during a drive-by, the corpse buried
under dismantled windchimes & left to decay right there on the broken-down
porch of the chimester's trailer house.
-paghat the ratgirl

That's a bit harsh, paghat, did you have a bad day?

I also would rather hear most of the wonderful sounds of nature, but
I'd rather hear a wind chime then buses, cars, lawn mowers,
weedwackers, neighbors arguing, children shrieking, dogs barking, or
many of the other local noises that drown out my chirping birds. 10
- 60 wind chimes may be a bit much, but 1 will make a nice sound near
the patio.

Swyck

paghat 14-01-2004 07:12 PM

Wind Chimes

In article , "Hound Dog"
wrote:

"paghat" wrote in message
[...]

I agree with all but #3, bouncing basketballs don't strike me as a big
noise, & the general noisy mayhem of children screaming & playing games
has always seemed to me rather pleasant, & usually transient even when
kids get a bit out of hand. But surprisingly basketball hoops attached to
garages are banned in quite a few intrusive rule-making neighborhoods, &
in some areas of dense housing there is rigorous police enforcement
against free-standing street-hoops so that basketball is de facto banned
due to no legal location for hoops. But to me the bigger issues in such
cases would be the lack of nearby places for children to play legally, &
the tragedy of such overcrowded housing developments -- atop which the
banning of idle play is a monstrous thing, though certainly common so it
would seem many agree with you.

#1 & #2 however are certainly bad things, so much so that #1 is illegal
in just about every municipality in the USA with fines attached & a legal
mechanism for eventually having the dog taken away if the problem is not
resolved by the dog owner. #2 would be illegal at night in nearly all
municipalities, but more difficult to regulate during daylight hours.

It's a happy wonder that my own neighborhood has only well-behaved dogs
(occasional poo in my gardens doesn't annoy me, & in general I like the
doggies), well-behaved children who are true joys to have wandering
through, & in the main well-behaved homeowners. Even the block's one
canterkerous old coot has more good than bad in his nature, & is only
occasionaly a noisy fellow screaming dirty words at his deaf old dog. But
I lived most of my adult life inner city, & I remember what it was like to
have some dumbass teenager sitting in his car with its booming stereo
system blasting for hours at a time & his own parents so scared of their
kid they daren't tell him he's being rude. In those days I wished I lived
on a mountain somewhere where I couldn't hear anyone at all in the world,
but then I'd visit a chum at her mountain home on ten acres & all day long
had to listen to the chainsaw on the next ten acres over, from a neighbor
who even put up a hideous soda lamp to glare across his clear-cut field
destroying any hope of a forest having a night. It's a wonder to me that
humans actually are tribal or pack-animals by nature, since we get on so
poorly with one another, & so frequently make bad neighbors harrassing
others by nuisance behaviors.

-paggers

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

paghat 14-01-2004 07:42 PM

Wind Chimes

In article et,
"Broomhilda" wrote:

What a wonderful mind you have. Ever think of taking up writing for a
living? I think you would probably outsell Stephen King.

No one outsells Stephen King. Though you may not have meant that, in fact
Stephen's a pal; he wrote a generous introduction for one of my books
years ago. That was an anthology of new writers & when I told Stephen
these unheard-of folks would not be easy sales on the strength of their
names, he lent his, writing a long juicy introduction commenting on each
tale. This insured that the volume became a bestseller on genre lists,
which in turn made it easy to sell a second volume. That's old history
now, & a few of those then-new writers have gone on to great success,
others have never been heard of since. More recently: at start of this
month I sold a tale called "A Bottle of Egyptian Night" to a major
anthology; I had a collection of my own tales issued in December by a
Canadian publisher as THE DEEP MUSEUM; & I have my own edited-series
called "Grim Maids," collections of Victorian women's supernatural tales
(volume 5 appeared last November as THE EMPIRE OF DEATH, complete weird
tales of Alice Brown, with my monograph on her life & works for
introduction; & will turn in a new volume within a couple weeks after a
final revision of the long introduction, that one'll be issued as THE
DREAMS OF GHOSTS, complete supernatural tales of Annie Trumbull Slosson).
Then just three weeks ago I was called up by Fox television who want to
option an old novel of mine for a mini-series. Productions almost never
follow mere options, but I immediately turned the negotiation over to my
agent to try to get the most possible for the mere option since odds are
against my ever getting anything else out of the deal. Though if I ever do
get to see it produced by Fox, woo-hoo! Fox's vice-pres asked me to
imagine Lucy Lu starring, so even as "just talk" this has been a bit of a
thrill.

Even with some slightly noticeable success, however, it's a stupid way to
try to make a living, & it has made me the opposite of rich -- though at
least I've not had to have any boss but myself for a couple of decades.

-paggers

paghat 14-01-2004 07:42 PM

Wind Chimes

In article , "Starlord"
wrote:

Hay! I just invented a biodegradable wind chime, not only does it biodegrade
over time, but it's sound can not be heard by anyone. It's made from paper
tubes.

One day when digging around in the garden I dug up a hunk of metal that
was clearly one part of a windchime mobile, & I ran a piece of string
through it & hung it on a cherry tree. Two years later it's still hanging
the
http://www.paghat.com/images/hangingcat.jpg

-paggers

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Philip Lewis 14-01-2004 08:32 PM

Wind Chimes

irony mode on

Paghat writes:
One day when digging around in the garden I dug up a hunk of metal that

Hanging hunks of metal in gardens are horrifying. They are ugly &
annoying & disturb the natural views a garden can engender with plants
& rocks & squirrels & deer & fluttering leaves & water features.

When some loon collects ten to sixty rackety hanging bits of ugly-ass
metal to dangle all around the edges of their home, they make themselves
a nuisance to their neighborhood. Such collectors should be shot dead by
their own drug-dealing teenagers during a drive-by, the corpse buried
under dismantled junk & left to decay right there on the broken-down
porch of the junkmester's trailer house.

/irony mode

tongue firmly in cheek since i think the patina is nice... i'm just
trying to make a point. (although it's easier to not look than to not
listen.)

--
be safe.
flip

paghat 14-01-2004 09:32 PM

Wind Chimes

In article , Philip
Lewis wrote:

irony mode on

Paghat writes:
One day when digging around in the garden I dug up a hunk of metal that

Hanging hunks of metal in gardens are horrifying. They are ugly &
annoying & disturb the natural views a garden can engender with plants
& rocks & squirrels & deer & fluttering leaves & water features.

When some loon collects ten to sixty rackety hanging bits of ugly-ass
metal to dangle all around the edges of their home, they make themselves
a nuisance to their neighborhood. Such collectors should be shot dead by
their own drug-dealing teenagers during a drive-by, the corpse buried
under dismantled junk & left to decay right there on the broken-down
porch of the junkmester's trailer house.

Yr quite right -- garden knickknackery sucks for interferring with natural
landscapes -- but we all have our weaknesses.

-paggers

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Spud Demon 14-01-2004 10:02 PM

Wind Chimes

(paghat) writes in article dated Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:46:12 -0800:
Wind chims in gardens are horrifying. They are noisy & annoying & disturb
the natural sounds a garden can engender with birds & crickets & rainfall
& rustling leaves & water features.

When some loon collects ten to sixty rackety hanging bits of ugly-ass
chimes to dangle all around the edges of their home, they make themselves
a nuisance to their neighborhood. Such collectors should be shot dead by
their own drug-dealing teenagers during a drive-by, the corpse buried
under dismantled windchimes & left to decay right there on the broken-down
porch of the chimester's trailer house.

Don't sugar-coat it, Paghat. Tell us how you really feel! :^)

Not all neighborhoods are quiet, and some people prefer to add man-made art
to nature.

To answer the OP's question about tuning, yes, all good wind-chimes are
tuned. Each chime in the set should resonate in some way with the other
chimes. Bring a stringed-instrument musician shopping with you; they can
tell you if two notes resonate because you have to have this skill in order
to tune a guitar or violin.

And if you get more than one set, they should either be tuned to each other
(highly unlikely) or hung out of earshot from each other.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Starlord 15-01-2004 02:02 AM

Wind Chimes

Well, myself I don't care for the I-14 freeway that's about 100 yards away, but
the BOOM BOOM from the FTS jets from Edwards AFB, those I don't mind at all. And
as for digging up objects in the ground? The desert field I use was at one time
at lest 50 years ago, the dumping area and burning area for this trailer park
and the ground is littered by the rusting remains of countless tin cans and
such. Yesterday I dug up 5 glass bottles at lest that old, all in good shape.

--

(paghat) wrote:
[...]

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Starlord 15-01-2004 02:03 AM

Wind Chimes

I kind of write Sci-Fi shorts.

http://adworld.netfirms.com

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning
lingered: and along the path he once had followed, man would one day go
again."

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Ad World
http://adworld.netfirms.com

"Broomhilda" wrote in message
nk.net...

So, under what name are your books published?

I don't know Stephen King although my best friend lives close to him. I
think Stephen King is a great writer but I don't read him anymore. I don't
like his subject matter.

Salem's Lot scared me so badly. I was sitting alone in a field in the
mountains one night and I swear the trees started closing in on me and it
was all Stephen King's fault. Haven't read another of his since.

MLW 15-01-2004 03:02 AM

Wind Chimes

"Broomhilda" wrote in message
nk.net...
I have heard about a windchime that is sort of tuned???? Don't know what
they are called. Can anyone help me?

Thanks a bunch

Broom Hilda

This site has some nice chimes. Our local nursery had some for sale at
Christmas time that were from this company and they sounded very nice. I
still prefer my bamboo chimes though.
http://www.musicofspheres.com/

Mary

David Hill 15-01-2004 10:02 AM

Wind Chimes

Why not a "Mono chime" just the one pipe and nothing else for those that
like a quiet garden.

Wonder if anyone has tried an Aeolian harp in the garden?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Broomhilda 15-01-2004 03:32 PM

Wind Chimes

Used to write a long time ago but gave it up when my agent said I should add
more sex. I figured if that's what it took to sell a book forget it. I
refuse to write that stuff.

"Starlord" wrote in message
I kind of write Sci-Fi shorts.

http://adworld.netfirms.com

[...]

Starlord 15-01-2004 04:02 PM

Wind Chimes

I wite my own and have never submitted it anyplace, I run the site I posted and
have my stuff there for sale, it's open to anyone who wants to sell their own
writings on there. I do Sci-Fi, but any type is welcome. I've made a few sales
there, will not get rich, but it's a place to do it and no one to say what
should or should not be in it.

[...]

"Starlord" wrote in message
I kind of write Sci-Fi shorts.

http://adworld.netfirms.com

---

Starlord 15-01-2004 04:07 PM

Wind Chimes

It's been a long time, but I once saw on a trip across the US with my folks a
place where a guy lived on open ranch type land. He had put up tall poles and
strung cables from them, in the wind the cables made their sounds. Each cable a
tone of it's own and you could tell by the tones just how fast the winds where
blowing. He said if you heard the deepest note of all, you had to get to cover
as it would take a 150mph wind to make that tone!

paghat 15-01-2004 06:32 PM

Wind Chimes

In article et,
"Broomhilda" wrote:

Used to write a long time ago but gave it up when my agent said I should add
more sex. I figured if that's what it took to sell a book forget it. I
refuse to write that stuff.

One of my novels had exactly one paragraph tepidly describing a sexual
interlude & the copyeditor marked it for removal. I talked my editor into
putting it back, it was such an innocuous little scene & stupid to censor
it. For genre books like science fiction & mysteries & Harlequin romances,
it's still to a large extent 1955, it's still assumed only young teens or
very immature adults buy paperbacks despite that they're not labeled for
kids, & so including even slight adult-content can be an uphill battle.

TOM KAN PA 15-01-2004 06:33 PM

Wind Chimes

Sounds like a lot of the readers of this thread would be interested in
purchasing a set of the windchimes I manufacture. They are made out of foam
rubber.

paghat 15-01-2004 07:02 PM

Wind Chimes

In article ,
c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

Sounds like a lot of the readers of this thread would be interested in
purchasing a set of the windchimes I manufacture. They are made out of foam
rubber.

On some gardening show, I saw a curious set of windchimes designed to have
the clanging bits stuffed in an opening in the top of the mobile
arrangement, so that they wouldn't be left to knock together day & night,
but would only be dangled for special occasions at reasonable hours. I
still wouldn't want such crap in my yard, but at least someone was
THINKing about the negatives in developing that design.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/

Philip Lewis 15-01-2004 07:42 PM

Wind Chimes

c (TOM KAN PA) writes:
set of the windchimes I manufacture. They are made out of foam rubber.

wouldn't that be a wind thunk?