Old 13-01-2004, 02:02 PM
animaux

Default Wind Chimes

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:10:53 GMT, "Broomhilda"
opined:

I have heard about a windchime that is sort of tuned???? Don't know what
they are called. Can anyone help me?

Thanks a bunch

Broom Hilda

There are wind chimes which have a certain resonance in their tone. They aren't
tuned in the way a guitar is tuned, but are placed with other lengths of
whatever the chime is made of to produce a melodic tone in conjunction with the
other notes of the chimes. The larger the chimes, the deeper the tones. I made
my own using copper pipe. I used 1.5" pipe cut at different lengths. I don't
know if mine are "tuned" to be harmonic or not, but they don't sound like those
annoying tinkly small ones.
Old 13-01-2004, 02:42 PM
Broomhilda

Thanx. Found a wonderful source online. The chimes almost sound like they
have an organ in the background.
thank you again.

Pixi alias Broomhilda

Old 13-01-2004, 05:42 PM
animaux

Yes, chimes, bells, gongs and such are all used in monastic life to represent
the vibration of the universe. They represent causation and affliction in that
when they touch, they make a noise.

Some day I will get a large gong. By large, I mean about 24 inches.

Victoria

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 14:37:14 GMT, "Broomhilda"
opined:

Thanx. Found a wonderful source online. The chimes almost sound like they
have an organ in the background.
thank you again.

Pixi alias Broomhilda

.. .

Old 13-01-2004, 09:32 PM

rec.ponds been talking about wind chimes like this.. they are tuned to "winchester"
and other sets of specific tones. you might want to check past messages for
rec.ponds and wind chimes. Ingrid

"Broomhilda" wrote:

I have heard about a windchime that is sort of tuned???? Don't know what
they are called. Can anyone help me?

Thanks a bunch

Broom Hilda

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 13-01-2004, 09:43 PM
paghat

Wind chims in gardens are horrifying. They are noisy & annoying & disturb
the natural sounds a garden can engender with birds & crickets & rainfall
& rustling leaves & water features.

When some loon collects ten to sixty rackety hanging bits of ugly-ass
chimes to dangle all around the edges of their home, they make themselves
a nuisance to their neighborhood. Such collectors should be shot dead by
their own drug-dealing teenagers during a drive-by, the corpse buried
under dismantled windchimes & left to decay right there on the broken-down
porch of the chimester's trailer house.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Old 13-01-2004, 11:32 PM
David Hill

"...Thanx. Found a wonderful source online. The chimes almost sound like
they have an organ in the background.
thank you again.........."
Well , are you going to share the site?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 13-01-2004, 11:33 PM
BonnieJean

I have chimes that sound like church bells....so relaxing and beautiful.
BUT, they are in my shed because I thought to myself not everyone might
think they are so nice. And on a windy day they might be down right
annoying. I wish I could figure out how to keep them quiet, still hung, and
only have them chime when I'm in the mood---on a summer day while reading in
my hammock.

Bonnie

news

Old 14-01-2004, 12:02 AM
Hound Dog

"BonnieJean" wrote in message
I have chimes that sound like church bells....so relaxing and beautiful.
BUT, they are in my shed because I thought to myself not everyone might
think they are so nice. And on a windy day they might be down right
annoying. I wish I could figure out how to keep them quiet, still hung,

and
only have them chime when I'm in the mood---on a summer day while reading

in
my hammock.

How about a rubber band around them so the tubes can't bang against one
another.

Hound Dog

Old 14-01-2004, 02:32 AM
madgardener

Those would be Woodstock windchimes. AWESOME windchimes that are a bit
expensive but of superior quality. I found mine at BookaMillion bookstore
but sure you might find them online if you try a link g
madgardener who has about NINE of them in various varieties and tones up on
the ridge, back in Fairy Holler where the fairies appreciate their music,
overlooking English Mountain in Eastern TEnnessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36
nk.net...

Old 14-01-2004, 03:12 AM
graham

"paghat" wrote in message
news
Wind chims in gardens are horrifying. They are noisy & annoying & disturb
the natural sounds a garden can engender with birds & crickets & rainfall
& rustling leaves & water features.

When some loon collects ten to sixty rackety hanging bits of ugly-ass
chimes to dangle all around the edges of their home, they make themselves
a nuisance to their neighborhood. Such collectors should be shot dead by
their own drug-dealing teenagers during a drive-by, the corpse buried
under dismantled windchimes & left to decay right there on the broken-down
porch of the chimester's trailer house.

-paghat the ratgirl

Or, you could take up "playing" the bagpipes;-)
Graham

Old 14-01-2004, 06:12 AM
Warren

madgardener wrote:
Those would be Woodstock windchimes. AWESOME windchimes that are a bit
expensive but of superior quality. I found mine at BookaMillion

bookstore
but sure you might find them online if you try a link g
madgardener who has about NINE of them in various varieties and tones

up on
the ridge, back in Fairy Holler where the fairies appreciate their

music,
overlooking English Mountain in Eastern TEnnessee, zone 7, Sunset zone

36

I used to hate windchimes -- until my late wife introduced me to JW
Stannard windchimes.

I still can't stand those cheap things that sound like glass shards
falling on concrete. They still annoy the crap out of me. But I now have
three different sets of JW Stannard chimes. My favorite are the 72" ones
that sound like church bells in the distance.

I've heard Woodstock chimes as well. They're also very nice. If you
can't find JW Stannard, Woodstock makes nice ones, too. I have a Feng
Shui set that's pretty nice.

And unlike those cheap pieces of crap that pierce the air with their
dissonance, the JW Stannard and Woodstock windchimes have soft tones
that don't carry as far. Of course part of that is because there is no
dissonance, which because of the annoyance factor is noticed more.

I wonder how many others that think they hate windchimes have never
actually heard a decent set, and only have experienced the cheap, crappy
ones.

By the way, Amazon has some Woodstock windchimes in their outdoor decor
department.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...60085/sr%3D1-4"Woodstock

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Spend your Amazon gift certificates he
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/associateshop.html

Old 14-01-2004, 06:32 AM
B & J

"paghat" wrote in message
news

When some loon collects ten to sixty rackety hanging bits of ugly-ass
chimes to dangle all around the edges of their home, they make themselves
a nuisance to their neighborhood. Such collectors should be shot dead by
their own drug-dealing teenagers during a drive-by, the corpse buried
under dismantled windchimes & left to decay right there on the broken-down
porch of the chimester's trailer house.

-paghat the ratgirl

Are you trying to tell us that wind chimes are not high on your list of
gardening experiences? ;-)

John

Old 14-01-2004, 10:02 AM
Hound Dog

"paghat" wrote in message
news
Wind chims in gardens are horrifying. They are noisy & annoying & disturb
the natural sounds a garden can engender with birds & crickets & rainfall
& rustling leaves & water features.

When some loon collects ten to sixty rackety hanging bits of ugly-ass
chimes to dangle all around the edges of their home, they make themselves
a nuisance to their neighborhood. Such collectors should be shot dead by
their own drug-dealing teenagers during a drive-by, the corpse buried
under dismantled windchimes & left to decay right there on the broken-down
porch of the chimester's trailer house.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

There are several things, in my opinion, much more annoying than wind
chimes.

1. Never-ending barking dogs.
2. Boom-boxes with the volume and bass set way too high.
3. Bouncing basketballs.
4. Neighbors that permit the first three to happen and don't seem to care
how much their neighbors are bothered.

Hound Dog

Old 14-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Broomhilda

Here you are. Don't forget to listen to them.

http://pineridgeonline.com/chimes/we...andelite.shtml

Old 14-01-2004, 11:02 AM
Broomhilda

What a wonderful mind you have. Ever think of taking up writing for a
living? I think you would probably outsell Stephen King.

"paghat" wrote in message
news
Wind chims in gardens are horrifying. They are noisy & annoying & disturb
the natural sounds a garden can engender with birds & crickets & rainfall
& rustling leaves & water features.

When some loon collects ten to sixty rackety hanging bits of ugly-ass
chimes to dangle all around the edges of their home, they make themselves
a nuisance to their neighborhood. Such collectors should be shot dead by
their own drug-dealing teenagers during a drive-by, the corpse buried
under dismantled windchimes & left to decay right there on the broken-down
porch of the chimester's trailer house.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

[IMG] code is On

Wind, wind and more wind. David Hill United Kingdom 5 03-01-2014 11:03 PM
Wind Chimes kind of Starlord Gardening 10 03-02-2004 02:17 PM
Wind Chimes kind of Starlord Gardening 1 01-02-2004 10:35 PM
Wind Chimes kind of Starlord Gardening 0 01-02-2004 10:09 PM
Wind Chimes Broomhilda Gardening 1 21-01-2004 04:43 PM