Old 21-01-2004, 12:02 AM
Stephen M. Henning

Default Bog gardens & String Algae

We had a bog garden that was triangular and about 60' on a side. It had
two natural springs at the top which flowed down through the garden and
then into an old stone walled swimming pool full of water lillies.

We planted blue berries, deciduous azaleas (Gibraltar and Klondike),
red-twig dogwood, green-twig dogwood, primroses, swamp iris, and ferns.
They all flourished. In addition birds planted elder berry and
bittersweet which did well also.

The swamp was getting too wet and running across the lawn onto the
neighbors property. We put in a new drainage system that diverts all the
water underground into the lilly pond. We filled in the deep end of the
pool so that it varies from 3' to 4' deep and will put the water lillies
back in when we refill it.

I am looking for ideas on how to manage the string algae in the lilly
pond. The lilly pond is 15' x 45' by 3.5' or about 19,000 gallons. I
know that shade and reducing nutrients reduces the green water algae but
that this won't eliminate the string algae. Now, with just the spring
water running out of the plastic drain pipes we are getting string algae
growing in the end of the pipe where the water is running out. The
nutrient level in this water must be rather high. It is acidic also.

Any suggestions are welcome

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 21-01-2004, 01:07 AM
D Kat

I am so freaking envious/jealous......
DKat....

I think I may have gotten a little over the edge with cabin fever... have I
mentioned that Long Island is NOT supposed to get this cold and STAY this
cold!

news

Old 21-01-2004, 04:12 AM
Phisherman

Sink a bale of barley hay into the pond. I also found that Elodea
(Anacharis) competes with algae, but the Elodea can be invasive.

Old 21-01-2004, 11:05 PM
Jim Lewis

I am looking for ideas on how to manage the string algae in the

lilly
pond. The lilly pond is 15' x 45' by 3.5' or about 19,000

gallons. I
know that shade and reducing nutrients reduces the green water

algae but
that this won't eliminate the string algae. Now, with just the

spring
water running out of the plastic drain pipes we are getting

string algae
growing in the end of the pipe where the water is running out.

The
nutrient level in this water must be rather high. It is acidic

also.

Gardener's Supply Company offers a barley straw gizmo that it
claims will keep a pond algae free. It's on page 28 of their
spring 2004 catalog.

I'd never heard of this "cure" but may give it a try in my tiny
goldfish pondlet.

However, the algae will go away anyway as spring draws to a
close.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Old 22-01-2004, 03:25 PM

barely straw is said to work. however. in cold weather the biobugs which do the
converting shut down. string and sweater algae does not. you got fish?
I see some string algae in my veggie filter when I start it up in spring. then the
plants get big and the string algae is starved. do you have a pump in that lily
pond? Ingrid

I am looking for ideas on how to manage the string algae in the

lilly pond. The lilly pond is 15' x 45' by 3.5' or about 19,000
gallons. I know that shade and reducing nutrients reduces the green water
algae but that this won't eliminate the string algae. Now, with just the
spring water running out of the plastic drain pipes we are getting
string algae growing in the end of the pipe where the water is running out.
The nutrient level in this water must be rather high. It is acidic
also.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com