Old 22-01-2004, 06:46 PM
jfrost

Default propane weed torch

I saw a propane weed torch in one of my catalogs, and now i can't find it.
Has anyone recently come across it?? It's around 50$

thanks !!in advance
jfrost

Old 22-01-2004, 06:48 PM
Tom J

http://www.goatheads.com/weedburner.html
A google search for "propane weed torch" brought this up right on top at
$34.95. There were pleanty more to select from.

Tom J

Old 22-01-2004, 08:03 PM
Dwight Sipler

"jfrost" wrote in message
I saw a propane weed torch in one of my catalogs, and now i can't find it.
Has anyone recently come across it?? It's around 50$

Flame engineering Co also makes torches (http://www.flameeng.com/). The
ones I use are more expensive (seems to me they were around $70 several
years ago) but they're industrial strength torches rather than the
little dinky homeowner style. They make both vapor and liquid propane
torches. I use mine with a 20 lb tank of propane on a backpack.

The one in the link supplied by Tom J is lighter than mine, but for
limited work that's probably just fine. I use mine on a farm with 250'
rows, so it gets a lot of use. I found that the handle with the torch
(mine is longer than the picture on the link) was really tiring on my
wrist, so I added a counterbalance. The liquid propane torch works
better for large scale operations, since the tank will freeze up after
15-20 minutes of use with a vapor torch.

Note that when killing weeds, it's not necessary to toast the weed to a
crisp. All you have to do is to heat it enough to boil the fluids in the
leaves of the weed. That kills the weed, although it sometimes doesn't
realize it for 5 minutes or so. If you want to toast the weed for the
psychological boost it might give you, go ahead, but you're wasting
fuel.

The weed burner doesn't work on grasses. The growing point of grass is
underground, so the burner just kills the leaves, and more will sprout
later. You can probably discourage grass if you hit it twice a week, but
it takes work to do it. The burner works best on broadleaf weeds.

Also, the burner doesn't work well on large weeds. If the weeds get
larger than 2-3" high, or the second true leaf stage, it takes too much
fuel to kill them. You're better off chopping them with a hoe at that
point.

Old 23-01-2004, 07:12 AM
Dave Allyn

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 11:40:19 -0600, "jfrost"
wrote:

I saw a propane weed torch in one of my catalogs, and now i can't find it.
Has anyone recently come across it?? It's around 50$

I'm not sure where you are from, but if you are in the midwest part of
the states, Menards carries them for about $30.00 I'm not sure if
Lowes or Home Depot does, but Menards has the larger one for a 20lb LP
tank as well.. about 50.00....

ask around our local hardware store. they could tell you where to get
one otherwise...

email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com
please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!

Old 23-01-2004, 03:42 PM
chaz

also check ebay

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...d+burner+torch

Old 23-01-2004, 10:45 PM
TOM KAN PA

I saw one at Harbor Freight for a few dollars - REAL cheap.
Gene

____Reply Separator_____

Gene's correct, go to:

http://order.harborfreight.com

Type in propane torch. I got the $12.99 one, works great. I don't need a pizo
lighter or anything. Got me one of those flint strikers. Turn the gas on, hold
the lighter cup in front of it, WHOOMP!!! that baby's burning.
BTW, it also works great for starting one of those Pine Mountain Logs for the
fireplace, or one of the firestarters.
Probably would do a job on puds, puuds, poods, however you spell it..

Old 24-01-2004, 05:42 PM
Salty Thumb

"jfrost" wrote in
:

I saw a propane weed torch in one of my catalogs, and now i can't find
it.
Has anyone recently come across it?? It's around 50$

thanks !!in advance
jfrost

Is there something special about a propane weed torch or will a plain one
do?
Old 24-01-2004, 07:02 PM

regular ones go out when turned upside down to fry the weeds. Ingrid

Salty Thumb wrote:

"jfrost" wrote in
:

I saw a propane weed torch in one of my catalogs, and now i can't find
it.
Has anyone recently come across it?? It's around 50$

thanks !!in advance
jfrost

Is there something special about a propane weed torch or will a plain one
do?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 24-01-2004, 07:03 PM
Gene

Nothing special.
All you need is this for ~ $20 and a normal 5 gallon or
larger BBQ propane bottle...

Gene

"Salty Thumb" wrote in message
"jfrost" wrote in
:

Old 25-01-2004, 03:32 PM

well I tried exactly what you are suggesting and the flame just kept going out.
Ingrid

Salty Thumb wrote:

wrote in
:

regular ones go out when turned upside down to fry the weeds. Ingrid

years ago I help my dad retile a bathroom floor, and I'm pretty sure it
involved holding the propane tank upside down (valve-side down) or at least
at an angle at which you could conceivably burn weeds.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 25-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Tom J

wrote in message
well I tried exactly what you are suggesting and the flame just kept going

out.
Ingrid

And if you tried it with 100 other hand held propane torches with the angled
burner attached directly to the can, they would all go out too. They would all
flood the flame when used upside down.

Tom J

Old 25-01-2004, 10:33 PM
Salty Thumb

"Tom J" wrote in
:

wrote in message
well I tried exactly what you are suggesting and the flame just kept
going out. Ingrid

And if you tried it with 100 other hand held propane torches with the
angled burner attached directly to the can, they would all go out too.
They would all flood the flame when used upside down.

Tom J

Did you try turning the flow rate adjustment knob until you got a steady
flame? It's not just an open-close valve. This was probably 15 years
ago, so I don't know about any new fangle doodads on propane tanks (like
the OPC(?) valve on ones for grills), but IIRC, the one I used was just a
angled burner attached to a ~12" long, 3" diameter cylinder, and was
used, valve side down to either burn crap off the floor or to heat vinyl
bathroom tiles so that the glue holding them to the floor would 'melt'
making them easier to pry up. Chances are that the house wasn't turned
upside down so that the torch could be used upright and I'm sure I didn't
have some sort of contraption to reroute the gas.

[IMG] code is On

propane weed torch jfrost Texas 16 27-01-2004 12:32 PM
propane weed torch jfrost Texas 2 22-01-2004 07:58 PM
propane weed torch jfrost Texas 2 22-01-2004 07:57 PM
propane weed torch jfrost Texas 1 22-01-2004 07:33 PM
propane weed torch jfrost Edible Gardening 0 22-01-2004 06:12 PM