Old 13-02-2004, 06:49 PM
Floreksa

Default Book reccomendations

I need some good book recommendations for both vegetable gardening and
general landscape style gardening. I live in Western MA and would love to
start gardening, but am kind of can't figure out where to even start. My
biggest area of concern right now, is the front of my house, which has NO
landscaping and receives very little sunlight.

Thanks
floreksa

Old 13-02-2004, 06:54 PM
David Hill

If you have a local lending Library then why not brows their gardening
books, borrow ones you like the look of, and when you find a book/s you
don't want to take back then go out and buy that /those book/s

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 13-02-2004, 07:32 PM
Frogleg

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 13:20:12 -0500, "Floreksa"
wrote:

I need some good book recommendations for both vegetable gardening and
general landscape style gardening. I live in Western MA and would love to
start gardening, but am kind of can't figure out where to even start. My
biggest area of concern right now, is the front of my house, which has NO
landscaping and receives very little sunlight.

The 'Victory Garden' books should be apropos, although western MA may
be entirely different than the Boston area. I find them quite useful
quite a distance south -- I just make adjustments in the times for
sowing, setting out, etc.
Old 14-02-2004, 12:38 AM
WiGard

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 13:20:12 -0500, Floreksa wrote:

I need some good book recommendations for both vegetable gardening and
general landscape style gardening. I live in Western MA and would love to
start gardening, but am kind of can't figure out where to even start. My
biggest area of concern right now, is the front of my house, which has NO
landscaping and receives very little sunlight.

Thanks
floreksa

Piet Oudolf has a series of books about natural gardens. "Gardening with
Grasses" is quite good. The premise is to use a variety of ornamental
grasses as the backbone of the garden and plug holes with perennials and
surprises.

Your local county extension office should be able to guide you. An
established botanic garden usually comes with a collection of books and
folks with know-how.

Volunteering at at a garden is a hands-on approach to learning. Master
gardening programs are offered throughout the country through local
extension offices. Garden expos are another source.
Old 14-02-2004, 11:37 AM
Ricky

"Floreksa" wrote in message
I need some good book recommendations for both vegetable gardening and
general landscape style gardening. I live in Western MA and would love to
start gardening, but am kind of can't figure out where to even start. My
biggest area of concern right now, is the front of my house, which has NO
landscaping and receives very little sunlight.

Gardens do not grow from books unless the books are being used as compost.
What you need is a car, bicycle or a pair of feet. You need to travel around
your area. Take a local map and draw a circle that is 40 miles in diameter
with your house at the center. Then drive, bike or walk around the streets
that are in that circle. Look for yards that resemble yours in shape, size,
lighting, and irrigation. Look for plants and trees in those yards that you
like. Pay attention to the size of the mature plants. Look at the hardscape
and statuary. Then go home and think about what you'd like your front yard
to look like. Think about the things you say in other landscapes that would
work in yours. Come up with several plans and draw them on paper. Then
either get a professional to plant it or do it yourself after you get some
sage advice from the local garden center when you buy the plants.

Now, vegetable gardens... I grew up in suburban and then rural New Jersey
which has a climate somewhat the same as Western MA. We don't get as much
snow but our winters are about the same. Every house I lived in I built a
vegetable garden that provided WAY more food than our family and friends and
neighbors could eat. So... here are some simple guidelines for the vegetable
garden.
1) Full sun - put the garden on the south side of the house and let that
stuff cook in the sun!
2) Good soil - my standard garden was 8' wide by 24' long. Into it I mixed
300 pounds of chicken manure in the late fall of only the first year I was
going to plant.
3) Good water - setup a simple mist system with a timer. 4 heads for my
standard size (above).
4) Raise it up to let it drain - my garden was built out of 8x8 timbers
stacked 5 high to 3-1/2' above the ground.
5) Raise it up to save your back.
6) Plant ONLY the stuff you like to eat. Forget about what your friends and
neighbors like, you are going to eat the bulk of it. So if you don't like
Brussel sprouts then don't plant them.
7) Plant as much as possible from seedlings you buy in a good local nursery.
Forget about waiting for seeds to germinate, you want results!
8) Don't plant cannabis in your garden. You're way too far north.

Old 14-02-2004, 12:42 PM
Ann

Frogleg expounded:

The 'Victory Garden' books should be apropos, although western MA may
be entirely different than the Boston area. I find them quite useful
quite a distance south -- I just make adjustments in the times for
sowing, setting out, etc.

It's colder out there, and they have better snow cover than we have,
other than that it's fairly similar. The Victory Garden books are a
good suggestion.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 14-02-2004, 01:12 PM
C.Swartz

Floreksa ) wrote...
I need some good book recommendations for both vegetable gardening and
general landscape style gardening. I live in Western MA and would love to
start gardening, but am kind of can't figure out where to even start. My
biggest area of concern right now, is the front of my house, which has NO
landscaping and receives very little sunlight.

Thanks
floreksa

Being a newbie myself, two books really helped me out when I started
gardening last year.

Better Homes and Gardens New Complete Guide To Gardening
Better Homes and Gardens New Complete Guide To Landscaping

Last year I had a successful vegetable garden and also landscaped 500 sq
ft of property which turned out very nice. Looking forward to getting in
the dirt again this year.

-Chris
Old 14-02-2004, 02:43 PM

Floreska,

A couple I find indispensable a

_Manual of Woody Landscape Plants_ by Michael A. Dir - this is probably
the most consulted of my 100 or so books
Anything from the Time-Life gardening series. These books were
originally published in the 70s and are still in print.
_Low Maintenance Perennials_ by Robert S. Hebb. Another from the 70s.
Not in print but not hard to find

--beeky

Old 14-02-2004, 02:43 PM
Jim Lewis

wrote in message
Floreska,

A couple I find indispensable a

_Manual of Woody Landscape Plants_ by Michael A. Dir - this

is probably
the most consulted of my 100 or so books
Anything from the Time-Life gardening series. These books

were
originally published in the 70s and are still in print.
_Low Maintenance Perennials_ by Robert S. Hebb. Another

from the 70s.
Not in print but not hard to find

--beeky

Those are good recommendations -- especially Dirr.

However, you should go to your local bookstore. Check the
"Regional" or "Of Local Interest" shelves and see what they have
on Massachusetts gardening. Don't choose the newest. Pick one
that's been around for a while (but not forever, unless it has
been revised). All of those other recommended books are national
in scope and will have almost NO help for your specific area.

The suggestion to visit your local extension office (Phone book
under "County Government") is excellent. MA extension has a long
list of publications in a host of subjects. Check the MA
extension web site -- or, www.reeusda,gov/ for a list of
extension websites nationwide.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

Old 14-02-2004, 04:32 PM
Beecrofter

"Floreksa" wrote in message ...
I need some good book recommendations for both vegetable gardening and
general landscape style gardening. I live in Western MA and would love to
start gardening, but am kind of can't figure out where to even start. My
biggest area of concern right now, is the front of my house, which has NO
landscaping and receives very little sunlight.

Thanks
floreksa

I reccomend The Garden Primer by Barbara Damrosch, 1988 Workman
Publishing Co
ISBN 0894803166

If you use a website like www.aaabooksearch.com you can find it used
or new from
8-18$ delivered.

I am a CT extension master gardener and have given away several copies
including my own a few times, I cannot reccomend this book highly
enough.
Old 16-02-2004, 02:42 AM
barrett

"Floreksa" wrote in message ...
I need some good book recommendations for both vegetable gardening and
general landscape style gardening. I live in Western MA and would love to
start gardening, but am kind of can't figure out where to even start. My
biggest area of concern right now, is the front of my house, which has NO
landscaping and receives very little sunlight.

Thanks
floreksa

'The Manual of Woody Landscape Plants' by M. Dirr is the text for
almost all colleges and universities in the nation. Dirr is from Ma.
He also has a color illustrated book that goes with the manual.
Old 16-02-2004, 04:32 AM
JonquilJan

If you can find it - 'America's Garden Book' by the Bush-Browns. It covers
everything. Has been revised and rewritten since the Bush-Browns are long
gone. they were my teachers in college - great couple.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying
barrett wrote in message
m...

Old 16-02-2004, 10:06 PM
Jim Lewis

"barrett" wrote in message
m...
"Floreksa" wrote in message

I need some good book recommendations for both vegetable

gardening and
general landscape style gardening. I live in Western MA and

would love to
start gardening, but am kind of can't figure out where to

even start. My
biggest area of concern right now, is the front of my house,

which has NO
landscaping and receives very little sunlight.

Thanks
floreksa

'The Manual of Woody Landscape Plants' by M. Dirr is the text

for
almost all colleges and universities in the nation. Dirr is

from Ma.
He also has a color illustrated book that goes with the manual.

_My_ copy says he's at the University of Georgia, in Athens. But
I agree, Dirr is excellent.