Old 14-02-2004, 09:42 PM
NewsGroups

Default Peroxide and Gardens

If you never used hydrogen peroxide in your gardens, you should look
into it.... I have great success. Mildews gone!! Great for mini ponds
to. Seed germination up 20%, use as a organic insecticide, stimulate
fast growth... the list just goes on and on.

3% and 6% food grade available for shipping anywhere in the USA and
Canada. 1 gallon shipping costs 7.00 to 9.79. Go to the address below:

http://www.perennialsonline.com/peroxide.html

Respectfully
Dale B.

Old 14-02-2004, 10:42 PM
David Hill

Didn't we have this posting last year?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 15-02-2004, 12:02 AM
Lawrence Akutagawa

Well...just in case you don't know...if you just let peroxide after being
opened sit around unused (like for a year or so), it turns into plain
ordinary water and loses all its potency. Whence it needs renewing (like
every year or so)....

Old 17-02-2004, 03:02 PM
Kevin Cutlip

Unless you have the exact formula for your pond, you could/will throw Ma
Nature into a very bad retaliation phase...Barley Straw is best for
controlling pond algae.Stays dormant until algae starts to bloom then
releases hydrogen peroxide as needed when breaking down...Long winded
scientific data on this, but short & sweet, its safer....Then when its done
(lasts about 6 mos but varies w/temp) use the leftover in your plant
beds...Great stuff....

Old 20-02-2004, 07:07 AM
Janice

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:49:39 GMT, "Kevin Cutlip"
wrote:

Unless you have the exact formula for your pond, you could/will throw Ma
Nature into a very bad retaliation phase...Barley Straw is best for
controlling pond algae.Stays dormant until algae starts to bloom then
releases hydrogen peroxide as needed when breaking down...Long winded
scientific data on this, but short & sweet, its safer....Then when its done
(lasts about 6 mos but varies w/temp) use the leftover in your plant
beds...Great stuff....

So barley straw breaking down releases hydrogen peroxide? That's what
kills of the stringy green/black algae in ponds .. and swamp coolers
a.k.a. evaporative air conditioners?

I had read somewhere that barley straw keeps that stuff down, or kills
it, but didn't know why, so putting some peroxide in the water in the
cooler should kill the stuff too?!

Woo.Woo.. that would be good, because she can't put the cooler in a
shaded area, so the sun beating on the cooler on top of their trailer
soon starts smelling like that "swamp" and she's sensitive to that
kind of stuff.

When I first saw the peroxide and gardens subject line.. I thought..
naw.. they gotta be kidding. Wish I'd known and will have to look
further because of all the claims of controlling mildew and
anthracnose as anthracnose is in the soil here and it attacks
tomatoes, and may have killed the neighbor's tree. Although, at the
dilution rate of plain old household peroxide.. just doesn't sound
like it would do anything. Particularly mixed with chlorinated
water..would think that the chlorine in the water would have some
"bleaching" effect if it's strong enough to kill fish. Which of
course it is. The main water after plants are up and it's warm enough
that our irrigation water is in the ditch, I don't use much
chlorinated city water. I like the $11 to $15 a year water bill of
flood irrigation ;-D

Janice

Old 20-02-2004, 12:32 PM
Dwight Sipler

Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:

Well...just in case you don't know...if you just let peroxide after being
opened sit around unused (like for a year or so), it turns into plain
ordinary water and loses all its potency. Whence it needs renewing (like
every year or so)....

Hydrogen peroxide is used commercially for fungus/mildew/bacterial
control on plants. There are two formulations (trade names) available:
Oxidate and Zero-Tol. Oxidate is labelled for vegetable crops and
Zero-Tol for ornamentals. I don't see much difference between the
formulations in the listing of ingredients. They're basically 27%
hydrogen peroxide with some peroxyacetic acid added as a stabilizer. It
comes in 2.5 gallon containers (smallest size I've found, about $120).
One of the demonstrations of the product is a fish tank with an 0.1%
solution and fish (live). Don't try that with your bottom feeders,
because it kills algae, which is a good part of what they're eating.

For use on plants, it is diluted by a factor of 100 to 300. The stuff
you can get in the grocery store is about 3% concentration, so it should
be diluted by a factor of about 10. If you go to a discount
grocery/pharmacy, a quart of the 3% stuff costs around 75 cents, for
about $3/gallon, significantly cheaper than the original post. At that
price, it's cheaper than the commercial stuff. Commercial users, however
don't have to deal with the 100 quart bottles for the equivalent of
their 2.5 gallon container, and that (plus the stabilizing additives)
is worth the price difference.

I have used it for several years and one container lasts me about 2-2.5
years before I've used it up. It is easy to check the activity just by
adding some full strengh liquid to an organic soil. It will fizz. (I
occasionally check this accidentally by spilling a bit during mixing).
(This is of course a qualitative test, not quantitative). I have not
noticed any degradation of the product after the 2.5 years of storage.
(This is the commercial stuff, not the home-use stuff; the home-use
stuff is so cheap you can afford to buy a new bottle each year. Use the
leftover stuff on your teeth.)

The product is effective against powdery mildew and anthracnose. An
advanced case of powdery mildew takes several applications. A really
advanced case might not be worth curing, since the plant is probably too
heavily damaged by that point.