Old 19-02-2004, 08:39 PM
Michael Singmin

Default Propagating Chrysanthemums

Hello Gardeners,

In South Africa Chrysantheums are almost the most popular indoor
flowering potplant. While I have been very successful with many other
plants, I have never been able propagate Mums satisfactorily. The 2nd
set of flowers are trivial.

My gardening book says the following
"To produce the compact plants often bearing 20 or more blooms
requires special production techniques involving artificial shortening
and lengthening days"

Anybody who knows something about this ?

Thanks,

Michael Singmin
Pretoria

Old 19-02-2004, 09:10 PM
David Ross

Michael Singmin wrote:

Hello Gardeners,

In South Africa Chrysantheums are almost the most popular indoor
flowering potplant. While I have been very successful with many other
plants, I have never been able propagate Mums satisfactorily. The 2nd
set of flowers are trivial.

My gardening book says the following
"To produce the compact plants often bearing 20 or more blooms
requires special production techniques involving artificial shortening
and lengthening days"

Anybody who knows something about this ?

'Mums bloom in response to day-length. As the days grow shorter
relative to the nights, flower buds are formed and then open.
Growing 'mums under artificial light can thus be used to make them
bloom out of season. This is why you can buy flowering 'mums when
they are not flowering in your garden.

Making them compact with many blooms is something else. From
spring through about two weeks after the summer solstice, keep
pinching them back. (I even use pruning shears and cut back to
only 2-4 leaves per stem. In the northern hemisphere, I do this
until about the end of the first week of July.) This makes them
bushy with many stems. When flower buds start to form, disbud;
leave only the main center bud on each stem. This results in
fewer but larger flowers. The effect is better than many smaller
flowers.

At least every other year (better every year), new plants should
be started from the old plants. Merely dividing the old clumps --
keeping newer portions and discarding the rest -- is the most
reliable. However, the most vigorous results are obtained by
rooting cuttings, of which 1/2 to 2/3 will survive. When you
replant from either divisions or cuttings, put a small amount of
bone meal in the planting hole about 3-4 inches (7-10 cm) below
the roots. The phosphorous will promote both root growth and
flowers.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Old 20-02-2004, 06:46 AM
B & J

"David Ross" wrote in message
Michael Singmin wrote:

[...]

Your advice is great, but It appears to me that Michael is trying to take
cuttings and raise the mums as a house plant without benefit of a
greenhouse.(Maybe I'm reading too much into his question?) If one purchases
mums as an out-of-season blooming plant for a holiday before spring arrives,
cut off the spent blossoms and keep them alive until they can safely be
planted outside. Once it's warm enough to support growth, plant them in the
ground in a sunny location. Before planting, loosen the roots if root bound
and then follow David's instructions. I have often been given mums in pots
that were bloomed out in the fall and had them survive and bloom the
following year. In fact, our garden club has a number of mums planted in a
project area that a local merchant donated after they failed to sell in the
fall. This is their third year of blooming.

John

Old 20-02-2004, 08:32 AM
David Hill

".......In South Africa Chrysanthemums are almost the most popular indoor
flowering potplant. While I have been very successful with many other
plants, I have never been able propagate Mums satisfactorily. The 2nd set of
flowers are trivial.
My gardening book says the following "To produce the compact plants often
bearing 20 or more blooms
requires special production techniques involving artificial shortening and
lengthening days" ..........."

Pot mums are grown using daylight regulation, either giving extra light to
prevent bud imitation to early or by blacking out the benches with black
polythene to shorten the day length to initiate the bud set, but the thing
that you wont be able to do is to treat the young plants with a growth
regulator to make compact plants suited to pot culture.
This is why when you plant out a pot mum and its roots get into fresh soil
the plant grows to 3 or 4 ft before flowering, it's got away from the
retardant chemicals.
You could get some of the more recently introduced "Garden Mums" that are
compact, self stopping and have small flowers, these will give good bushy
plants in season without to much trouble, but not if you are trying to grow
them for all their life in the house. They all need good light.

see.......... http://www.fpeter.fsnet.co.uk/Playboy.html

http://www.rhs.org.uk/publications/p...ysanthemum.asp

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 23-02-2004, 09:42 PM
Michael Singmin

Thanks to you all, David R, John & David H,

For the most valuable information on creating mums.
I have a large atrium in my house and there is clear perspex
in the overhead roof. It gets very bright in there.

I am certainly going to try the techniques suggested.
Much appreciated.

Michael