Old 23-02-2004, 09:04 PM
Dwight Sipler

Default Roots, light, and clear pots question

"Bruce W.1" wrote:

Many times I've contemplated using tranparent pots (clear plastic) for
house plants.

This would certainly help to guage root growth. But does light harm roots?

Thanks for your help.

I don't know of any effect of light on roots, but I also haven't come
across any source for transparent pots. If you want to gauge root growth
in anything up to about a 6" pot, you can just grab the plant, turn the
plant and pot upside down and give the bottom of the pot a slap. This
will loosen the root ball and you can just slide the pot off and look at
the roots. If you suspect your plant might not fill the pot, do this
with the plant and pot on its side instead of upside down. This will
help to reduce spillage of the growing medium. You can do it with pots
over 6" also, but they're harder to handle.

If you're worried about a plant becoming pot-bound, it won't hurt it to
put it into a larger pot. If the roots didn't fill the pot,
transplanting won't hurt it as long as you don't break up the roots too
much (some plants are more sensitive to this than others). Transplanting
the plant to a larger pot will supply new growing medium and probably a
new fertilizer charge (generally built into commercial growing medium).

Old 23-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Bruce W.1

Pen wrote:
Sounds like a great learning experience. To prevent algae, cover the
sides of the pot with foil. Slide the foil off for a peek. I'd love
to do this some day with my kids when they're old enough to be
interested. I rooted many cuttings in water and haven't come across
any with roots that fear sunlight. What plants are you growing?

I'm growing some, I guess they'd be considered ivy? I really couldn't
tell you their names. Once upon a time I bought them at the grocery
store. Now I am cloning them.

Old 24-02-2004, 04:32 AM
Terry

Hi Bruce,
Actually I have done this or rather a variation of it. You can grow
carrots and watch the roots develop in specially built containers.
Light is not the cause of the problem, heat is. There would be a
'greenhouse effect' in your transparent pots if they get too much sun.

A solution is to use a transparent pot inside a dark coloured pot, or
wrap the pot with something (try burlap). Algae will not cause a
problem if there is enough drainage and you don't overwater. I would
suggest using a mix containing some horticultural sand so it drains
quicker. Ivy would be fine in a mix like this.

Have fun! and Good Luck!
Terry