Old 24-02-2004, 12:12 AM
C.Swartz

Default Patio Material For Woodland Setting?

Howdy all. I'm looking for ideas for what kind of material to use for a
patio. I'm going for a woodland type feel. Patio will not be used for
dining, but rather for sitting/reading, etc... Kinda more of courtyard
than a traditional patio. Looking at an area of maybe 400 sq ft.

My first thought of material is simply mulch. Any problems with doing
this? There are already many areas around the house with mulch. I
mulched about 500 sq ft last year around some shrubs/trees and am very
pleased with the results.

Mulch for a patio/courtyard? Maybe some large pavers for a pathway?
Anyone forsee any problems with this idea? Weed barrier fabric will
certainly be used to control weeds.

Any input appreciated.
Chris
Old 24-02-2004, 04:03 PM
Dewolla Stepon

"C.Swartz" wrote in message

Howdy all. I'm looking for ideas for what kind of material to use for a
patio. I'm going for a woodland type feel. Patio will not be used for
dining, but rather for sitting/reading, etc... Kinda more of courtyard
than a traditional patio. Looking at an area of maybe 400 sq ft.

snip
Any input appreciated.

Chris, I have a 350 sq ft "campsite" area in my yard (with a smoker and a
fire pit), back under some huge cedars, where I have a rustic patio. I
wanted to put decomposed granite or crushed rock down but we have a big
problem with gophers. I finally just placed square red concrete pavers
directly onto the levelled ground and it turned out nice.

- Dewolla

Old 24-02-2004, 04:10 PM
Beecrofter

C.Swartz wrote in message ...
Howdy all. I'm looking for ideas for what kind of material to use for a
patio. I'm going for a woodland type feel. Patio will not be used for
dining, but rather for sitting/reading, etc... Kinda more of courtyard
than a traditional patio. Looking at an area of maybe 400 sq ft.

My first thought of material is simply mulch. Any problems with doing
this? There are already many areas around the house with mulch. I
mulched about 500 sq ft last year around some shrubs/trees and am very
pleased with the results.

Mulch for a patio/courtyard? Maybe some large pavers for a pathway?
Anyone forsee any problems with this idea? Weed barrier fabric will
certainly be used to control weeds.

Any input appreciated.
Chris

Of course knowing where you were might help a bit.
Mulch doesn't sound like a bad idea, some of the shredded barks sold
by the bag or the truckload look rather nice.
Instead of pavers consider using rounds of wood cut off the ends of
logs.
If you have turf allready you might want to keep some of the turf and
edge and mulch the areas your use of the space wears out.
Take a look at some of the photos of Japanese gardens online if you
want some new ideas.

Old 24-02-2004, 04:35 PM
MC

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:52:19 -0500, C.Swartz wrote:

Howdy all. I'm looking for ideas for what kind of material to use for a
patio. I'm going for a woodland type feel. Patio will not be used for
dining, but rather for sitting/reading, etc... Kinda more of courtyard
than a traditional patio. Looking at an area of maybe 400 sq ft.

My first thought of material is simply mulch. Any problems with doing
this? There are already many areas around the house with mulch. I
mulched about 500 sq ft last year around some shrubs/trees and am very
pleased with the results.

Mulch for a patio/courtyard? Maybe some large pavers for a pathway?
Anyone forsee any problems with this idea? Weed barrier fabric will
certainly be used to control weeds.

Any input appreciated.
Chris

What is the rest of your yard like? Trees? Climate? What is YOUR idea
of a wooded setting? For example, if you live in the Keys, a northwoods
experience might be a bit strange...

Organic mulch would look great and very authentic. I might consider a
very thick (4-6") layer of finely shredded bark. I would go thick to
create a more natural underfoot experience: cushiony like the forest
floor. Flagstone for stepping stones would blend in well. Larger
flagstone for your sitting areas and chairs/table would work. An
alternative to stones might be slices of tree trunk crosssections. With
all the many types of trees, you cuold have fun picking decorative
species. I might look into a way to preserve any wood slabs.

As the area ages, you might see good things happening: mosses,
groundcovers. Add some rocks and boulders.

Maybe it would be worth heading to your favorite woods to get your ideas
from an expert, Mother Nature.

Organic materials deteriorate over time and will need to be replenished.

Other considerations: If you plan to go barefoot, you may want something
more foot friendly. Anything loose may get tracked into your building.

If you decided to go woodland, you could have lots of fun building or
selecting furniture to match.

Old 24-02-2004, 04:39 PM
MC

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:52:19 -0500, C.Swartz wrote:

Howdy all. I'm looking for ideas for what kind of material to use for a
patio. I'm going for a woodland type feel. Patio will not be used for
dining, but rather for sitting/reading, etc... Kinda more of courtyard
than a traditional patio. Looking at an area of maybe 400 sq ft.

My first thought of material is simply mulch. Any problems with doing
this? There are already many areas around the house with mulch. I
mulched about 500 sq ft last year around some shrubs/trees and am very
pleased with the results.

Mulch for a patio/courtyard? Maybe some large pavers for a pathway?
Anyone forsee any problems with this idea? Weed barrier fabric will
certainly be used to control weeds.

Any input appreciated.
Chris

Forgot one thing: Add a water feature and some feeders.

Old 29-02-2004, 05:55 PM
Terry

Hi,
If they are available, I have found the best mulch for a woodland
garden path is pine needles. To make them look natural though, you
would have to have a few evergreen trees along your path. Bark mulch
will work great if there are not a lot of earwigs in your area.
Earwigs love mulch especially if it is moist.

Personally, I like the idea of using pavers as the patio. I would try
to choose a neutral colour like terracotta. Definitely I would not use
grey stone.

Best of luck,
Terry