Old 27-02-2004, 04:42 PM
Michael Moss

Default plants around deck?

Hi folks, I'm new here..
Last year we had our deck rebuilt (added real footings) so this year I
want to plant something that will fill out and cover up the space
between the ground and the decking cause it just plain looks bad the way
it is.
deck is on the north side of the house, soil is quite sandy (live on a
lake) well shaded most of the day. Deck is about 3 feet above ground level
we live in the middle of minnesota, and I'm thinking I would like to
plant ferns. How close together do I need to plant to get a good "fill"
within a couple years...
Is there a better option??
TIA
--
Mikey Luvs Ya!!
http://personalpages.tds.net/~kyakmike/

Old 27-02-2004, 04:56 PM
MC

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:06:02 -0600, Michael Moss wrote:

Hi folks, I'm new here..
Last year we had our deck rebuilt (added real footings) so this year I
want to plant something that will fill out and cover up the space
between the ground and the decking cause it just plain looks bad the way
it is.
deck is on the north side of the house, soil is quite sandy (live on a
lake) well shaded most of the day. Deck is about 3 feet above ground level
we live in the middle of minnesota, and I'm thinking I would like to
plant ferns. How close together do I need to plant to get a good "fill"
within a couple years...
Is there a better option??
TIA

Ferns are great but they do tend to turn a bit ugly as summer progresses.
Pachysandra, vinca, grasses work. Hostas, too. Depending on size of bed,
you can always change the soil to meet plant needs. Ajuga and brunnera
work as groundcover. A mix of things.

Old 28-02-2004, 12:03 AM
Vox Humana

"Michael Moss" wrote in message
Hi folks, I'm new here..
Last year we had our deck rebuilt (added real footings) so this year I
want to plant something that will fill out and cover up the space
between the ground and the decking cause it just plain looks bad the way
it is.
deck is on the north side of the house, soil is quite sandy (live on a
lake) well shaded most of the day. Deck is about 3 feet above ground

level
we live in the middle of minnesota, and I'm thinking I would like to
plant ferns. How close together do I need to plant to get a good "fill"
within a couple years...
Is there a better option??
TIA

I have a similar situation. I have had good luck with spirea 'little
princess', day lily 'Stella d'oro.' astilbie 'fanal,' and assorted hostas,
pulmonaria, heuchera, and lily of the valley in the foreground. I haven't
had very good luck with ferns. They tend to be ephemeral in my garden.
They come up late and languish in the heat of summer. I'm in zone 6.

Old 28-02-2004, 02:32 AM
MC

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:06:02 -0600, Michael Moss wrote:

Hi folks, I'm new here..
Last year we had our deck rebuilt (added real footings) so this year I
want to plant something that will fill out and cover up the space
between the ground and the decking cause it just plain looks bad the way
it is.
deck is on the north side of the house, soil is quite sandy (live on a
lake) well shaded most of the day. Deck is about 3 feet above ground level
we live in the middle of minnesota, and I'm thinking I would like to
plant ferns. How close together do I need to plant to get a good "fill"
within a couple years...
Is there a better option??
TIA

I left lupine off my list. They grow quite well in the upper midwest.
Last summer, I had blossoms reaching 1.5 meters.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:09 PM
Gallagher

Goats Beard will be about 3 feet high. Nice blooms and interesting foliage.
Columbine and astilbe would work, too.

For perennials, I might try coleus - nice color. Likewise, caladiums.

I love hosta, and so many beautiful varieties are available, they are always
a good choice.