Old 04-03-2004, 02:42 AM
GoldLexus

Default Planting Question

I have some 4 O'clock tubers that I want plant. I do know I can plant them
directly in the ground but I don't know which way to plant them. Do the
tubers go straight up and down in the hole with the wider end at top OR are
they placed in the ground length wise? Sorry if this is a stupid question,
am new to gardening and trying to learn as I go. Thanks

Old 05-03-2004, 12:47 PM
Salty Thumb

"GoldLexus" wrote in
:

I have some 4 O'clock tubers that I want plant. I do know I can plant
them directly in the ground but I don't know which way to plant them.
Do the tubers go straight up and down in the hole with the wider end
at top OR are they placed in the ground length wise? Sorry if this is
a stupid question,
I am new to gardening and trying to learn as I go. Thanks

I'm not sure, but if you have A.M. tubers, plant like this: |
P.M. tubers, plant like this: -

You probably have P.M. tubers, so I would go with: -

Good luck

Old 05-03-2004, 05:10 PM
GoldLexus

How can you tell the difference between a.m. tubers and p.m. tubers? Just
curious.

"Salty Thumb" wrote in message
"GoldLexus" wrote in
:

Old 05-03-2004, 06:28 PM
Salty Thumb

"GoldLexus" wrote in
:

How can you tell the difference between a.m. tubers and p.m. tubers?
Just curious.

Now that I think about it, the - should be am and the | pm. If they were 9
o'clock tubers, it'd be the other way. But, hehe, I was kidding. 4
o'clock am, 4 o'clock pm ... get it? To be honest, I don't even know what
a 4 o'clock is, I guess it's some sort of flower.

As far as tubers (or seeds) go, I don't think it makes a lot of difference
which way you orient them (unless they've already started sprouting
something, in which case obviously you put a stem up and a root down).

At one point I was contemplating starting some peas all oriented in one
particular direction (the radicle seems to come out of the "eye"), and then
I decided that I don't have time for such silliness and just plopped them
into the starting mix haphazardly. Almost all of them managed to germinate
which is usual for peas.

If that's wrong, hopefully someone who's a better gardener than me will
chime in and tell us the right answer (or point us to a 10 year old google
message haha). If nobody does, tag you're it, you get to be the expert and
tell us how it goes.

Old 05-03-2004, 11:47 PM
GoldLexus

HE HE thanks for the chuckle! I had a feeling your post was tongue in cheek
but like I said I am new to gardening so had to make sure. :O
Yes, 4 0'clocks are flowers the blooms open around 4 in the afternoon and
are very fragernt so I am told. Their tubers are carrot like.

Old 06-03-2004, 12:01 AM
Cereus-validus

Actually, the tuberous roots (not tubers) of "4 0'clocks" (Mirabilis
jalapa) are rather similar to those of Dahlias and should be planted the
same way.

Most people grow "4 0'clocks" from seed like an annual and avoid the whole
problem altogether.

Carrots are tap roots not tubers.