Old 05-03-2004, 08:06 PM
Sunflower

Default Why do you garden?

I garden because I enjoy the education that it provides me. A real gardener
learns from their failures to be a better gardener rather than giving up and
moving on to something else for a hobby. I'm also at that point in my
gardening life where my past failures have taught me enough that I can begin
to be a source of education for other gardeners, which I also enjoy.
There's also something very satisfying in the artistic creations of plant
combinations that I've designed. And, I learn to keep it humble when my
plonking something here and there because it was on sale and appealing also
turns out pretty great without a plan in the world. There's just something
very satisfying about growing green things and getting dirt under the nails.
It connects you to your forebearers in a visceral way that viewing old
photos never will. When you are growing a patch of your grandmother's ditch
lilies because she grew them and they were tough enough to take it and
survive, you think that maybe you too will be tough enough to take it and
survive like gramma did.

Old 06-03-2004, 04:32 PM

"David Hill" wrote in message ...
As I plod through the mud yet again to get to various parts of my garden,
some torn up by the Foxes looking for the moles that are destroying what was
once quite a good lawn, tripping over brambles that put out shoots of around
20 ft last year (My arthritis meant that some got away) I ask my self why do
I garden?

then I just stop and listen to the birds singing and watch around a dozen
mixed tits feeding on the suet mix I make for them, they are now getting
through almost 2 lbs of mix a week.
We have over 20 types of birds visiting us now, not to mention the
butterflies in Summer.
The Daffs are coming out to join the snow drops and Camellias despite the
snow whilst I was away for a week on the island of Malta, the buds on the
Hawthorne are swelling and the first little green leaves are beginning to
unfurling me that we are in for another early spring.

I like the garden and plants. It is also a good transferance therapy.
Often I'd find myself being more critical in the garden after a bad
day at the office. There're things a person can do while reciting the
mantra " take that you SOB, die you bastid". By the way, I was
pulling weeds and killing insects. It calmed me to at least have an
environment that I could fight the adversaries, actually hunt them
down and attack them. I would laugh and tell my parents that Ortho
was better than Smith and Wesson, socially more acceptable.

Occasionally there were rewards from the garden. On a small scale,
while working full time, I figure the tomatoes cost about $30.00
apiece in time and money, but saved thousands in therapy and court
costs. The really good part, it was impossible for me to stay tense
and angry in my garden. Whether I worked hard, worked long, or just
sort of hung out, I always felt and slept better, woke refreshed, and
coped with another day.

Gardening has a way of making me focus, not on yesterdays failure, but
tomorrow, next season, next year. The future was real, friendly, and
enjoyable. I rarely looked forward to going to work at my job, but
could plan for a week on projects to do over the weekend in my yard
and garden, and take the memories back to work with me on Monday. I
always walked around the yard and garden after work, didn't work hard,
but there was always a bug to squish or a weed trying to take over, or
something to water.

Best wishes.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best, take what life gives you, and
LIVE.
Appreciate the ridiculous, find humor in the mundane, and laugh often.

Old 06-03-2004, 07:12 PM
Beecrofter

The frog are a wonderful bird

What a wonderful bird the frog are

When he stand he sit almost;

When he hop he fly almost.

He ain't got no sense hardly;

He ain't got no tail hardly either.

When he sit, he sit on what he ain't got almost.

Old 07-03-2004, 08:32 PM
NAearthMOM

Hi David, Love your post!
WHy do I garden???????????
I like to play God (haha only kidding)

I am a nurturer by nature. I have an instinctual green thumb........I love
nature........the four seasons in NY despite the cold bare winter.........it
keeps me grounded to remember what is important in life............the tree I
plant today is for tomorrow's wanderers.........

Love Caryn
"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"
Old 08-03-2004, 09:02 PM
Warren

David Hill wrote:
As I plod through the mud yet again to get to various parts of my

garden,
some torn up by the Foxes looking for the moles that are destroying

what was
once quite a good lawn, tripping over brambles that put out shoots of

around
20 ft last year (My arthritis meant that some got away) I ask my self

why do
I garden?

I worked for the DPW in a large Midwestern city. One year I was assigned
to the boulevard maintenance division. My job was basically to pick-up
litter, pull weeds, and turn sprinklers on and off on a two-mile long
stretch of boulevard. Over that two miles there was a commercial area,
an industrial area, a nearly 1/2 mile stretch that was darn near a
mini-freeway, and a residential area. The mini-freeway area included a
diamond interchange that the department was experimenting in turning
back into meadow.

As soon as my boss noticed that I was fascinated with how my boulevard
included so many different areas, he became very talkative, and
instructive. The landscape gardeners who came out to tend to the more
involved aspects were very willing to talk about their passion for
gardening as well.

Although I lived in an apartment at that time, I knew some day I'd own a
house. Starting that summer, when I looked at houses, I started to
visualize what could be done with the landscaping. I knew that I wanted
to own a house with more inspired landscaping than my parent's house,
with a couple of foundation plantings.

Another great thing about gardening is that there is no such thing as
perfection. If I kill a plant, it just means I have another opportunity
to try something else in that spot. My boulevard boss also taught me to
prioritize. Spend time weeding the beds next to where traffic stops for
the traffic signals, he said. The rest only needs to look good when
passing at 40 mph, or when standing 40' away on the sidewalk. So if you
pass by my home, it looks great from the street. I don't have to be
perfect. I can enjoy my results as imperfect as they are.

Heck... Half the fun of gardening is the failures. Talk about a
low-pressure hobby! If my knees didn't hurt when I squat too much
gardening would be even more fun!

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Spend your Amazon gift certificates he
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/associateshop.html

Old 09-03-2004, 04:05 AM
J Kolenovsky

Cereus-validus wrote:
=

That so-called gift isn't free, babe!
=

Does the lord pay for all your supplies and seeds too?

HE does.

If you live in Hawaii, would that be Jack Lord of which you speak?
=

"J Kolenovsky" wrote in message
It is the Lord's gift to me.

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 09-03-2004, 07:32 AM
Cereus-validus

So your lord has a penis. How quaint.
It must come in handy in ****ing contests on Saturday nights. Hardy a
supreme being unless he can **** further than anyone else!

τΏτ - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - business
τΏτ - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal

Old 09-03-2004, 02:09 PM
Meagan M Eller

David Hill wrote:
As I plod through the mud yet again to get to various parts of my garden,
some torn up by the Foxes looking for the moles that are destroying what was
once quite a good lawn, tripping over brambles that put out shoots of around
20 ft last year (My arthritis meant that some got away) I ask my self why do
I garden?

snip

I garden because I enjoy it. I like to watch the plants come up. I like
the smells of the flowers and the herbs. I like the fresh produce. Taking
a blank lawn and turning it into a beautiful oasis. Creating something
lovely, creating a sanctuary where we can relax. It also provides some
exercise, which is a definite bonus after sitting at a desk all day.

Meagan

Old 11-03-2004, 11:06 PM
J Kolenovsky

Last year was my first year in business and I worked 8 months and did
$70k. So far this year, it started in January and I'm at $25K. I am
blessed, annointed, set apart and have the favor of God as he told me to
start this business. Hail to Jehoveh Jireh, My provider, His Grace is
sufficient to me, to me,to me, His Grace is sufficient for me. My God
shall provide all my strength, according to his riches in glory. He
gives his angels charge over me, Jehoveh Jireh cares for me, for me,
Jehoveh Jireh cares for me.

The city you live in probably has Joel Osteen with Lakewood Church
broadcast over one of your local stations. Tune in sometimes and give it
it a hear. Could be the "moment before the miracle" for you.

=